Marking 5 years of Kintyre Way Walking Route

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Marking 5 years of Kintyre Way Walking Route

Postby Bonnie Lass » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Rob Reid and John Kennedy are marking 5 years of the Kintyre Way by running the entire length of the route in one day on Saturday 13th August 2011. They hope to be joined by local runners on some of the route.

Starting from Dunaverty in the early hours, ending at Tarbert just before mid-night.

Plan for complete Kintyre Way, Saturday 13 August 2011
Dunaverty 0 mile Time: 04:00
Amod 5 miles Time: 04:45
Largiebaan 9.3 miles Time: 05:50
Ballygroggan 14.6 miles Time: 07:10
Machrihanish, at K.W. sign 16.5 miles Time 07:30
Campbeltown (15m break) 22 miles Time: 08:25 Leave : 08:40
Peninver junction 27.5 miles Time: 09:50
Bord a Dubh 30.5 miles Time: 10:20
Ifferdale Farmhouse 36 miles Time: 11:30
Carradale tearoom (10m break) 42 miles Time : 12:50 Leave: 13:00
Deucheran windfarm 50.7 miles Time: 15:05
Tayinloan, at Hall 57.7 miles Time: 16:10
Point Sands (30m break) 59.6 miles Time: 16:30 Leave: 17:00
Clachan, crossing A83 67.2 miles Time: 18:30
Claonaig, at ferry 77.7 miles Time: 21:00
Tarbert, fish quay 89.3 miles Time: 23:45
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Marking 5 years of Kintyre Way Walking Route

Postby robreid » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:52 pm

In case there's any misunderstanding, "Peninver junction" refers to the south end of Lussa Loch on the Kintyre Way (where the Peninver spur branches off).
We're not going via Peninver!

Rob
robreid
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Bonnie Lass » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:23 am

Quite an undertaking, hope the day remains dry for you - looks OK so far....
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:13 am

Caught up with Rob and John today (Saturday) at Torrisdale,Carradale and half way over the hill to Tayiloan.The last report I had from Rob at 11.30pm Saturday that they both were half way across from Clachan to Claonaig,slowing the pace a wee bit ,but still feeling good for a finish hopfully within the 24 hour deadline. If they slow too much we'll set that big Highland Coo on them pictured in the last photo.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 pm

well done Rob and John

good photos jd,

must have just missed meeting up for a run - the subject of your last picture was just starting off down the road when i headed back - but had to be in town in the evening...

wimp as I am I could not pass these horns or might have managed all the way up to the wind farm!
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:44 pm

jackiefulton wrote:well done Rob and John

good photos jd,

must have just missed meeting up for a run - the subject of your last picture was just starting off down the road when i headed back - but had to be in town in the evening...

wimp as I am I could not pass these horns or might have managed all the way up to the wind farm!

Spoke to Rob after lunch time today Jackie,he and John completed the walk in just over the 24hrs due to a wee couple of hiccups over stops.
A great achievment done by both and especially Rob celebrating his 66th birthday this year :D .

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Agreed jdcarra, a great effort from both men. Congratulations Rob and John!! A few of us from CRC met up with the guys and Jocelyn, coming in from Machrihanish, after they had one of Jocelyn's pick me up breakfasts :D

Saw them through about 6.5 miles, up towrads Lussa--not much for those guys but for us it was an out and back 13 miler :<>

jdcarra, I know that they would have appreciated your company through the middle stages.

Amazing how much one can glean over a run with some "pros". Wee tips here and there.

Well done again guys.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jmr3 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Congratulations Rob and John on a great run. I really enjoyed joining you for the 6 miles from Machrihanish to Campbeltown, although I was shattered at the end of it !

Super photos and I'm glad the weather held for you, at least that far. I'll try to sort out the pictures that the boys took near High Lossit and send them on to you.

Rab, it was just a wee cup of tea, but anyone running by the gate is always welcome :D

Well done guys.
jmr3
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Some pics that Rob e-mailed me today,start and finish of the race in the dark,someone forgot to put on the flash :oops: .Lightened them up as best Rob on Photoshop,enough to recognise you both at the start line Dunaverty and finish at Tarbert.Clearer photo of you both with Jocelyn.

Hi Johnny - photos attached.
The ones at beginning and end are a dead loss (unless you have some cunning way of cutting out the bright bits and lightening the whole thing)
In photo at Aqualibrium, Jocelyn Richard is a member of Campbeltown Running Club who gave us a welcome cup of tea at her house in Machrihanish and then ran along with us from Machrihanish to Campbeltown.

The exact overall time was from 04:17 Sat. to 04:57 Sun., hence 24hrs 40m.
But as I said, there was a cock-up over meeting at Clachan (spent 1 hour there), and I reckon that break would have been just as refreshing if it had been just 20 mins, so then 24h would have been possible.

The upside is that we can put it on the Kintyre Way website and put it across as a challenge to see who can improve on it!

Cheers
Rob

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat