Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011-Success! Thankyou

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge - (more about date?)

Postby saddlesores » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:12 am

As time is getting on you should consider fixing a date.For the event next year you should consider advertising it in the Cyclosport website.

Regards
Brian
saddlesores
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am

russanros wrote:but for 2011 I think we just get it going & see how it goes, if 'kintyre forum' agrees I think its time to turn this into event not chat, we set the date for October which will hopefully bring some folks into the town outside the usual summer, and a local cause for the fundraising.

Russ,

Great response so far and well done to you for having the vision to host this event and to the enthusiastic response from others.

As mentioned before we (Kintyre Forum) will be only too happy to facilitate a forum specifically for this event (if required) and we can also set-up a private forum for you and various other members can keep discussion and organisation on going, away from meetings. We have Private Forums set-up for a number of groups like the MOKRUN, Sports Council, Jog Scotland, Campbeltown Running Club who all appear to make regular use of the facility. I guess the key to a private forum working is having enthusiastic members who are on-line alot and like to see matters progressed away from formal (or informal) meetings. It also offers a good record for reviewing (as opposed to hunting through e-mails etc). Anyway, the offer is there and we would love to help, support and promote this idea in any way we can! :mrgreen:

On another note once a date etc has been set it would be worth joning South Kintyre Sports Council - they are always on the look out to support new organisation and events and there is potential for grant funding too etc

All the very best of luck with this! 8)

Kintyre Form News
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 pm

saddlesores wrote:As time is getting on you should consider fixing a date.For the event next year you should consider advertising it in the Cyclosport website.

Regards
Brian

Correct, I was discussing October weather with the some of the guys at work, and we agreed that the weather wouldn't be any more or less predictable.
So- That would be the Sunday 16th of October, which coincides between the overlapping weekenmd between Glasgow & S.Kintyre school holidays.

We will table the question to this years partcipants as to whether they would prefer Glasgow fair week next yr or stick with October.

I'm just on my lunch hour now, but setting the date is a priority, I will be back to Kintyre forum by PM and post further info tonight, or tomorrow when I have more time! - Thanks for all the help so far. :)
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 2011, date set for OCT 16th

Postby russanros » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 pm

...and with a date set the next priority is tidying up the routes from the original suggestions so we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

The Routes as proposed:

ULTIMATE: Round Kintyre Challenge. 70 miles
- using East/West circuit via Clachan & Claonaig (clockwise/anticlockwise TBC, after further advice from Brian)
- aimed to appeal to serious 'road cyclists', who would do the other rides as warm ups! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MULL OF KINTYRE ROUTES: aimed to appeal to all types of recreational cyclists, on quiter roads & capitalising on scenery 8) .
- CHALLENGE 40 miles this is the Learside/Mull of Kintyre (end of public road)/Dalsmirren route. Mostly on country lanes, but very hilly.
- INTERMEDIATE 35 miles, as above but omits Learside, straightdown the Southend B road.
- EASY 25 miles, this is just straight to Southend, by the B road and back by Dalsmirren, not going to the Mull.
CAMPBELTOWN LOCH FAMILY RIDE: 6-10 miles informal.
- as it suggests round the loch, on the quiter roads, we will seek permission for a coned off 'lane' as per the run, to avoid youngsters to coming into traffic on the esplanade.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SYDNEY.B » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:28 pm

RusRos sorry you didnt get any reply to Macmillan website or phone number, i do know that they are closing some of the Regional Offices so unless they have changes numbers etc. Our Local contact for MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT is Sheena Ramsay telephone No. 01583431381 if you need any help or information im sure she would be willing to help in any way with advertising etc.
SYDNEY.B
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:32 pm

russanros wrote:...and with a date set the next priority is tidying up the routes from the original suggestions so we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

The Routes as proposed:

ULTIMATE: Round Kintyre Challenge. 70 miles
- using East/West circuit via Clachan & Claonaig (clockwise/anticlockwise TBC, after further advice from Brian)
- aimed to appeal to serious 'road cyclists', who would do the other rides as warm ups! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MULL OF KINTYRE ROUTES: aimed to appeal to all types of recreational cyclists, on quiter roads & capitalising on scenery 8) .
- CHALLENGE 40 miles this is the Learside/Mull of Kintyre (end of public road)/Dalsmirren route. Mostly on country lanes, but very hilly.
- INTERMEDIATE 35 miles, as above but omits Learside, straightdown the Southend B road.
- EASY 25 miles, this is just straight to Southend, by the B road and back by Dalsmirren, not going to the Mull.
CAMPBELTOWN LOCH FAMILY RIDE: 6-10 miles informal.
- as it suggests round the loch, on the quiter roads, we will seek permission for a coned off 'lane' as per the run, to avoid youngsters to coming into traffic on the esplanade.

Not trying to halt your enthusiasm here Russ but 6 cycle rides is alot to cover in terms of all the different roads etc?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Kintyre Forum News wrote:
russanros wrote:...and with a date set the next priority is tidying up the routes from the original suggestions so we are singing from the same hymn sheet.

The Routes as proposed:

1. ULTIMATE: Round Kintyre Challenge. 70 miles
- 2.CHALLENGE 40 miles this is the Learside/Mull of Kintyre (end of public road)/Dalsmirren route. Mostly on country lanes, but very hilly.
-3. INTERMEDIATE 35 miles, as above but omits Learside, straightdown the Southend B road.
-4. EASY 25 miles, this is just straight to Southend, by the B road and back by Dalsmirren, not going to the Mull.
5.CAMPBELTOWN LOCH FAMILY RIDE: 6-10 miles informal.

Not trying to halt your enthusiasm here Russ but 6 cycle rides is alot to cover in terms of all the different roads etc?

I've just numbered the Five :wink: routes to clarify.

THe original idea of the 4 routes, the Ultimate is an addition. Was that they share common sections of roads and keep marshalling/signposting etc easy. This is 'tried and tested' from the Yorkshire events. Checkpoints/refreshments will all be at places passed by all 3 of the mull of kintyre routes. Except for one at the actual Mull to make sure everybody who said they were going to go there actually does :twisted: !

'Sweeping' (making sure everyone is actually through a section) will be much easier without off-road sections as it can be done by car/motorcycle.

The other idea which works well is to colour code the routes, which I have done, then signpost the routes with the coloured arrows so that you dont have to have someone at every turn, this actually works pretty well.

Coming back to the 'Ultimate' - yes this throws in a whole new set of route again, but I think we have to embrace it as it is both a good idea and getting the more serious cyclists in as Brian has already mentioned would put the event on the map nationally as well as locally- eventually if not in the first year. After further consultation with Brian it is recommended that this route be done 'clockwise' , again I dont see a huge need for a massive support team here, someone at Kennacraig to make sure they take the Carradale road back is absolutely essential, but other check ins could be added, according to how many people are willing to marshall.

The family ride just needs someone to 'lead' and someone to be a 'back-marker' - my family have done this on many occasions.

Therefore if we have to reduce routes I think it would be silly to throw out the Ultimate, and to knock out one of the Mull routes wouldnt actually save anything in organisational terms?

The ethos of this type of event is that people do need aware of their route and safety:
A couple of things that cropped up in the event we used to be part of,
- As part of the 'event pack' we provide safety info and a clear map
it is a condition that every one accepts responsibility for their own safety and liability in the event,
they undertake to wear sensible clothing and a cycle helmet,
if they have health problems to check with GP before attending.

The undertaking we do on navigation etc. is that whilst we do everything to sign and marshall the route to the best of our abilty there may be circumstances where signs have been interfered with, or marshalls have to attend an urgent incident
- fortunately these have always been mechanical trauma's rather than accidents!!

RusRos sorry you didnt get any reply to Macmillan website or phone number, i do know that they are closing some of the Regional Offices so unless they have changes numbers etc. Our Local contact for MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT is ...... if you need any help or information im sure she would be willing to help in any way with advertising etc.

Thanks for that, the email I got of the website went to a 'West of Scotland' office which I assume is not there anymore! it came back as an invalid address, the person you mention there sound local (Carradale number?) will try contacting tomorrow morn as on the late shift.
Last edited by russanros on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 pm

just a quick update:

We are now in contact with Sheena the Macmillan representative, so thanks for the contact details, perhaps the number details should be edited out now :?: but thanks! :)

again pertaining to routes Brian (saddlesores) brought to my attention that with the 2 different routes going to the Mull we could end up with riders passing on steep and bad bends at differing times and I think for safety's sake we have to abandon the idea of using that particular bit of road, nice though it would be to have the event actually going to the Mull.

This leaves:

2.CHALLENGE this is the Learside/Dalsmirren route. Mostly on country lanes, but very hilly.
3. EASIER 25 miles, this is just straight to Southend, by the B road and back by Dalsmirren

between the Ultimate and Family routes (for avoidance of doubt there is now 4 routes in total, which makes things simpler 8) )-
I think to add the mileage which has been lost in the 'CHALLENGE' route going to the Mull we could add a loop round the moss road and west road on the way back, and possibly or not a loop round Tangy- like a figure of 8? I will measure this up properly then post again.
- above all these alterations would mean single track roads are used in only a single rather than both directions, which is important.

I hope we are in a position to start 'Make a date in your diary' type publicity very soon, as I have said before if we can make this a 'dry run' for a bigger event in the future.

the priorities I think for publicity are:

Local press (not everyone has internet)- can be updated regularly
Internet forums (Local & National)- can be updated regularly
Social Networks (Facebook & the like) - can be updated regularly
Cycling Magazines- proper articles when we have sorted out more detail (particularly how to enter)
Glasgow evening paper, again when more details sorted.

I will make a start on the first three with 'date for your diary style' items, any more suggestions welcome.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bonnie Lass » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 am

Don't know if the route beside Lussa Loch goes all the way round, if it does, it might be a nice safe circular route for family cycling another time - perhaps an odd Sunday early spring perhaps !!
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ninja Mania » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 pm

It does go all the way round the loch in a loop, but its forestry and a wee bit rough, ok for mountain bikers tho.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Bonnie Lass wrote:Don't know if the route beside Lussa Loch goes all the way round, if it does, it might be a nice safe circular route for family cycling another time - perhaps an odd Sunday early spring perhaps !!

Yep it would make a good event, I have been looking at the idea of off-road routes as either to further enhance next year event or maybe even a 'stand alone' event if enough support.

I'm more of a mountain biker than a road biker really, which is why Brian's road perspective has come in handy.
-but to get started the road rides can be done on either a road or mountain bike by anyone, and results will be more based on fitness than technical skill, a good starting point for an 'all round' event.

The other issue is access in Yorkshire 'rights to ride' are fairly simple being on the basis of 'Public Bridleway' status meaning you can ride with as much rights as a road. Here whilst there is no actual law of tresspass, there is no 'right to ride' either - I don't know how it applies to bikes, you would get away with it on your own or family for sure, but what about an organised event? Going to look up on the Forestry Commission website, as I assume the Lussa area is their land, I will send email or ring them to see what their stance is on having such an event, they are generally keen to promote mountain biking in other areas.

There is a route right round the Lussa (as Ninja Mania just stated -oops :oops: :roll: ) - it is sometimes used as a diversionary route for Kintyre Way when they are working on the Corrlach side, as you say this would make a good family route and if permission sought for some of the other tracks a good 'serious' circuit could go on with it? - better concentrate on the October one first tho'! :lol:

Thanks for local press contact Ruth- I will get something put together, even without the nitty-gritty details we can get the date and general idea out there and make a start on drumming up support. Cheers.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby rebb » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 pm

70 mile round kintyre route sounds good to me. Would this be on Skipness road then return Atlantic coast road?. I would definitely register for any event in order to help kickstart a great idea for an annual cycling event. Count me in on this one. :wink:
rebb
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby russanros » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:47 am

rebb wrote:70 mile round kintyre route sounds good to me. Would this be on Skipness road then return Atlantic coast road?. I would definitely register for any event in order to help kickstart a great idea for an annual cycling event. Count me in on this one. :wink:

Hi Rebb, yep you got the route idea pretty much right, we are looking at present at going out by the west road and back via the Carradale side at the moment. Gives a bit of warm up before hitting the hills :wink:

I thought a brief update would be in order as the 'date for diary' article has been carried by the courier on the sports page and awaiting a fuller article as we finalise details.

Having been put onto a correct contact, Macmillan have now offered support for the event, and we shall be receiving a pack and advice from them with regards the fundraising side of the event, I would advise anyone who is trying to organise contact with them not to follow the email address currently offered on the website for the West of Scotland office but to contact local fundraisers.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby rickallison » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi there
Just been informed of your event through someone that lives in Campbeltown passed it on a relative down here in Taunton Somerset .We would love to come and take part in the event especially Frank Taylor whos family stem from Campbeltown.
You should get on the web and inform www.Cyclosport.org about your event to spread the word further afield.
How long will it be before you know if it will definately take place as we will have to book a couple of annual leave days to come up from taunton.Also how will we be able to enter ?
Looking forward to developments
Many thanks
Richard Allison & Frank Taylor
rickallison
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby russanros » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 am

rickallison wrote:Hi there
Just been informed of your event through someone that lives in Campbeltown passed it on a relative down here in Taunton Somerset .We would love to come and take part in the event especially Frank Taylor whos family stem from Campbeltown.
You should get on the web and inform http://www.Cyclosport.org about your event to spread the word further afield.
How long will it be before you know if it will definately take place as we will have to book a couple of annual leave days to come up from taunton.Also how will we be able to enter ?
Looking forward to developments
Many thanks
Richard Allison & Frank Taylor

Hi all, thank you for your interest in the ride(s) - yes we are ongoing with it now I have heard back from Macmillan and we will be doing the ride to support them. I have been working over the weekend and have not yet had chance to read the stuff they have sent in full yet, but we have now got the date out in the open on here and in the local press, that much is certain and the event will be happening for 'as many as will' . I am hoping to set up a website for the event as soon as time allows.

Regards to entry, I am definitely able to organise a 'postal system' of entering and am also hoping to be able to get a way of entering on-line, perhaps you (and any one else who is interested in entering ) send me a PM with email address and I will make up a 'mailing list' so we can keep people informed of developments? -this would be preferable to them having to check back to the thread regularly.

I will do further publicity as soon as we have entry details- I need in the first instance to see whether the charity wants to have the entries and monies go through them or whether they prefer us as organisers to handle it, as it is a different charity to the one we worked with before, this is the next priority.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge