Recognise anyone ?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Recognise anyone ?

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 am

I know the clipping pic was taken at Corrylach and I suspect the band pic was taken around the same time so that would put these at well over 40 years ago. Sorry they're not very good as they are slides and my projector is in a box somewhere, never got around to buying a scanner that deals with slides, so I stood these up against a white envelope and hoped for the best.
The wee boy on the right in the clipping pic was me.

I'll just post the links, that'll be better.... (Martin - Admin edited to post 8) )

Last edited by Martin on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Recognise anyone ?

Postby Admin3 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Martin wrote:Isn't it about time this forum limped into the 21st Century and allowed standard size pics to be posted ? I put up a lot of pics on the net in a professional capacity and this is the only place I know of that insists on silly sizes.
It makes a mockery out of your posters efforts, although I did notice that some seem to have more rights than others.
What a joke !

No-one has any more rights that any other registered member when it comes to posting photos on the Kintyre Forum. The restriction is 800 wide by 600 high and is a common feature on many forums to ensure the page can be read correctly. Surely if you do this in a professional capacity it will be no bother to a man of your means to post the photos correctly? :mrgreen:
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 am

Silly me, I forgot it would be my fault.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am

Martin wrote:The wee boy on the right in the clipping pic was me.

Can't help you there ! Perhaps Emdee !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Iain wrote:Can't help you there ! Perhaps Emdee !

I would have been in the Pipe Band at that time. The two obvious ones standing in the middle of the circle are Drum Majors Ian Lang and a very young Ian Campbell. The two drummers facing the camera at the opposite side of the circle are Murray McCallum on the right, and (I think) Kenny McKerral on the left. the piper standing on the right of the picture facing away from the camera I think is Tony Wilson, as I recognise the half-silver half ivory mounted drones on his pipes. The other piper is more difficult to identify, but as a guess, judging from where he is standing in the circle, I think it might be Peter McCallum.

I would date this photo as very early 1970s.

Anybody else got any different opinions?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:19 pm

EMDEE wrote:
Iain wrote:Can't help you there ! Perhaps Emdee !

I would have been in the Pipe Band at that time.

Wow ! Were you already thinking about Paul ? Probably not !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:17 pm

EMDEE , I would reckon the band pic was around 68/69/70 and I have a feeling it was taken on one of the show days, did the band not used to play in the town and either The Duchess or Waverly used to be in the loch at the same time, can't be 100% certain, it was a while ago and my wee brain isn't as good as it once was.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 pm

I've got the location now. It's on the Old Quay facing along in the direction of the old coal chute. The buildings on the right are long gone.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 pm

From memory, Tony only came back to the town in the 1970s - so I am not so sure that is him in the picture. Ian looks around 8-10 so 1970 is the latest it could be.

For my money, the piper on the right could as easily be Dougie - your uncle EMDEE - did he not have silver and ivory pipes?

My father could have been there, but I think this would one or two years before his time. What do you think, EMDEE?
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Admin3 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Admin3 wrote:
Martin wrote:Isn't it about time this forum limped into the 21st Century and allowed standard size pics to be posted ? I put up a lot of pics on the net in a professional capacity and this is the only place I know of that insists on silly sizes.
It makes a mockery out of your posters efforts, although I did notice that some seem to have more rights than others.
What a joke !

No-one has any more rights that any other registered member when it comes to posting photos on the Kintyre Forum. The restriction is 800 wide by 600 high and is a common feature on many forums to ensure the page can be read correctly. Surely if you do this in a professional capacity it will be no bother to a man of your means to post the photos correctly? :mrgreen:

Martin wrote:Image

Silly me, I forgot it would be my fault.

Martin, that is what I said - the images have to be NO bigger than 600 high. As you will see, following your post with the links, edited the images, cropped them, corrected the colour a bit and reposted these above. You just have to know how. :mrgreen: Good luck with your enquiries. 8)
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EMDEE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:16 am

Mary G wrote:From memory, Tony only came back to the town in the 1970s - so I am not so sure that is him in the picture. Ian looks around 8-10 so 1970 is the latest it could be.

For my money, the piper on the right could as easily be Dougie - your uncle EMDEE - did he not have silver and ivory pipes?

My father could have been there, but I think this would one or two years before his time. What do you think, EMDEE?

I think you're probably right. Dugie was the other one who came to mind, although I didn't think it looked like his posture. His was one of the other two half and half sets in the band, so if the photo is 1970 or earlier it could only be be Dugie. The other possibility that an earlier date on the photo brings in is that the other piper in the photo may well be my brother Iain who at that time was still playing with the band although he had moved to Glasgow, and I do know he used to come down for the Agricultural Show day, which I think this probably is. He would also have been playing a half and half set of J & R Glen cocuswood drones, but I don't think that is them in the photo. If he was playing that day he would probably have been standing beside Dugie. If I remember rightly, I think your father joined about 1972/73?

I have a good quality black and white photo of the band in the house which was taken at the Agricultural Show in 1971. I'll need to find out how to get it onto the forum, as it would probably be of interest to forum members. I'll try to get this in hand.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue May 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Your dates are about right, EMDEE - I think he did join around 72 ....

Was at home myself this weekend, and looked out a bundle of piping photos - some really good ones too. Will work out how to share them at some point ...
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Mary G wrote:Your dates are about right, EMDEE - I think he did join around 72 ....

Was at home myself this weekend, and looked out a bundle of piping photos - some really good ones too. Will work out how to share them at some point ...

It would certainly be interesting to see some of these old photos. :D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 am

Last edited by Martin on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 am

Martin wrote:I came across this one. Unfortunately it's an old photocopy of an original that's in a box somewhere. I think the photo came from the Courier or someone who worked there maybe. I can't remember now, too long ago.

This is the same photo that I mentioned above. I thought it was 1971, but it may be 1970. It was taken at Anderston Park on Kintyre Agricultural Show day for the Courier, and the photographer was Gordon Hunter.

From left to right:

Standing at the back:

Pipe Major Ronnie McCallum, Hamish Colville, Charlie McMillan, Campbell Maloney, John McDougall, Hugh Colville, Drum Major Ian Lang, Duncan Ramsay, Drum Major Ian Campbell, Colin Lang, Dougie Lang, Jim McGeachy, John McGeachy, Murray McCallum (obscured), Iain Duncan, Pipe Sergeant Dugald McShannon.

Kneeling at the front:

EMDEE and Ronnie McShannon

:D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion