Hello from a new member

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hello from a new member

Postby quests » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi all, I am originally from Campbeltown (B 1948) but left in 1959 when my parents moved down to Cheshire, and then two years later, to the West Midlands. I now live in a little village called Kempsey which is just outside Worcester where my wife and I have a 200 year old converted coach house. My last address in Campbeltown was 2 Ralston Road, and my dad then worked in the coal mine at Machrihanish before leaving to work for Tarmac. I have not been back in all that time which is terrible on my part but, I am hoping to try and change my wife's mind about travelling all the way upto Campbeltown for a break. Now and then I log-on to the webcam and have a look at my old home and also this website to see if there is anything that catches my eye. I've even used Google Street View to take an upto date tour around the town, my, how it has changed. I know that most of my cousins have now moved away except one and that is the Brodie family. There was Nan Brodie, who's first husband was Neil Mc. Millan. They had a daughter called Mary, and a son called Duncan, however, I have been informed some years ago (10+) that Mary worked in a pub/hotel, may have even been the manager? She must be in her late 50's, early 60's now and married, so a bit of a long shot trying to contact her. Anyway, I shall no doubt be posting some more information later about my early years in and around Campbeltown. Regards and best wishes for the new year. Bill Adams :)
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Hello from a new member

Postby Kevin Mc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Definately drag the wife up for a break :D

I took mine up for the first time about 16 years ago, and we've been back together many times since. First time I took her up, we stopped just after the Erskine Bridge and she wondered why I stopped as she thought we were nearly there!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find some of the people you used to know :)
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Welcome Bill,

I'm sure when you and your wife return you'll love it. One of the most beautiful parts of the world with friendly people. My wife has been going up to Southend for 47 years with me not far behind with 32 years.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Welcome to the Kintyre Forum Bill.

You really should make that trip back - I am sure you will not regret it. If you are looking for some help I am sure the users of the forum will be able to assist.

All the best
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm

quests wrote:Hi all, I am originally from Campbeltown (B 1948) but left in 1959 when my parents moved down to Cheshire, and then two years later, to the West Midlands. I now live in a little village called Kempsey which is just outside Worcester where my wife and I have a 200 year old converted coach house. My last address in Campbeltown was 2 Ralston Road, and my dad then worked in the coal mine at Machrihanish before leaving to work for Tarmac. I have not been back in all that time which is terrible on my part but, I am hoping to try and change my wife's mind about travelling all the way upto Campbeltown for a break. Now and then I log-on to the webcam and have a look at my old home and also this website to see if there is anything that catches my eye. I've even used Google Street View to take an upto date tour around the town, my, how it has changed. I know that most of my cousins have now moved away except one and that is the Brodie family. There was Nan Brodie, who's first husband was Neil Mc. Millan. They had a daughter called Mary, and a son called Duncan, however, I have been informed some years ago (10+) that Mary worked in a pub/hotel, may have even been the manager? She must be in her late 50's, early 60's now and married, so a bit of a long shot trying to contact her. Anyway, I shall no doubt be posting some more information later about my early years in and around Campbeltown. Regards and best wishes for the new year. Bill Adams :)

Hi Bill

Not sure if I have the right person but the Bill Adams I knew stayed at 62 Ralston Road on the corner of Ralston Road and Meadows. I remember a Campbell Adams, was that your brother?

Annie Brodie's family was Mary who still lives in town and owns a bar, David, still in town with his family and is a retired baker. Anne is in Tennessee. Gavina is in Kalamazoo Michigan and Norman passed away recently. Annie herself died a couple of years ago.

Would be interesting to hear about your early memories.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby quests » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi again, you did not leave a name so you have me trying to work out who this is?? However, you are correct, it was 62 Ralston Road, not 2, (I missed the 6) so my mistake. Interesting to hear about Mary, is she married? And what is the name of the pub she works in. I do miss the lovely beaches and the wildlife that was abundant every time I went out to the hills. Will talk again. :)
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby quests » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi again,
Many thanks for the contacts, I have now had a telephone conversation with my cousin Mary which I would not have had, had it not been for the forum. For those who are interested, I have posted a story about my Great, Great, Great grand father John McLean who was a body snatcher back in the early 1800's. You will find it in the History section of the forum. :D
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:23 pm

quests wrote:Hi again,
Many thanks for the contacts, I have now had a telephone conversation with my cousin Mary which I would not have had, had it not been for the forum. For those who are interested, I have posted a story about my Great, Great, Great grand father John McLean who was a body snatcher back in the early 1800's. You will find it in the History section of the forum. :D

Quests, that is nice to hear! We started 2010 off with a new member finding long lost relatives and finish the year the same! All the best for 2011 and hope you and your wife enjoy a visit to Campbeltown. 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

quests wrote:...Now and then I log-on to the webcam and have a look at my old home and also this website to see if there is anything that catches my eye. I've even used Google Street View to take an upto date tour around the town...

Me, too, quests. Those & the KF are my links to a place I love & miss. Hope you get there. I feel your wife will need no more coaxing after her 1st visit!

Oh, & welcome to the forum :D !!
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby quests » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi there Lossit lass, thanks for the nudge. I have been looking at the webcams again today and took the Goggle Street view up Ralston Road to where I used to live, all the flower beds that my dad had planted have gone now and been replaced with the green stuff, (grass) Ah well, it was fifty years ago and nothing stays the same. Trying to get my wife the other side of the border will take some doing, but I am used to challenges. I will let the forum know when I am visiting and hopefully I will meet up with some old friends.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Lossit Lass » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:15 pm

quests wrote:Hi there Lossit lass, thanks for the nudge. I have been looking at the webcams again today and took the Goggle Street view up Ralston Road to where I used to live, all the flower beds that my dad had planted have gone now and been replaced with the green stuff, (grass) Ah well, it was fifty years ago and nothing stays the same. Trying to get my wife the other side of the border will take some doing, but I am used to challenges. I will let the forum know when I am visiting and hopefully I will meet up with some old friends.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau

Hope you get back soon! It should be fun for your wife to see where your life started....& could turn out to be a new destination for holidays together :D

(ps - love the quote. One of my faves!)
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby cbryce_1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

Hi

Just wanted to say that I have also discovered I am a descendent of John McLean - his eldest daughter Janet is the line I am from. I have been fascinated with the story of John and have now uncovered more crimes he has committed (putting it all down to poverty!). I am waiting on the transcripts from NAS and will post then when I receive them.

P.S. His daughter Janet also had a very colourful lifestyle

Cathie
cbryce_1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby quests » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Cathie,
Nice to hear that I have a distant cousin (three/four times removed??) with regards to John McLean. I would be very interested in any other information you may have, also, have you a family tree that shows the link?
Regards,

Bill.

"Never knock on Death's door, ring the bell and run away - Death really hates that." - Matt Frewer
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby cbryce_1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Bill

I have a family tree on Ancestry.com and my user name is Cathie1448 if you want to have a look at it. Let me know if you are able to see it.

Regards

Cathie
cbryce_1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby quests » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Cathie,
Ancestry requires both a username (cathie1448) and a password to open you family tree. May I suggest that you open your family tree in Ancestry, and then send my wife Diane a message allowing her to view your tree. We do not want to post your password on the forum, so this is the safer option. Not knowing how well you know Ancestry, I will try and guide you through the process.
Go to family trees at the top of the page, next to home. Place your cursor over the tree you want to share, press, and it will then show "Tree Pages" then scroll to the bottom and click "share your tree" Then go across to "invite people" and then click "invite People by their user name" You then enter the Ancestry user name which is quests131 and then send invite. I think that makes sense, if not, get back to me.
Many thanks, Bill.
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!