Fiona takes to the streets of Dublin in aid of local chairty

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Fiona takes to the streets of Dublin in aid of local chairty

Postby DJD » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 pm

This advice is not for the faint hearted (lol)

Joking aside well done All and the reason you have more distance on your garmin is that you have veered off the exact measured distance for the route that had been taken for the marathon to qualify as an international event.

London has a blue line right round the course and your garmin measures in straight lines and does not take the bend into consideration,hence greater distance on you garmin.

forgot to say the calibration comes into the equation as well.

Once again well done all.
Last edited by DJD on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 am

thanks djd for that i had thought on that myself but normally my garmin is spot on the distance with my corner cutting :D and it seems to have added that half mile on almost within the first two miles but hey ho really happy with the end result :D 8)
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Skerry » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Well done Fiona. Told you it would be fun :D
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby fiona28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

you did skerry, but i thought it was only mad women who lived in the hills that found these things fun :lol: :D thanks for support
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow! Well done Fiona, Frances and Joc - absolutely amazing times and thoroughly deserved with all that hard training you all put in.

Great race report Fiona, it sounds like a fantastic event and I'm so glad you three had a great run and enjoyed every minute of it - that's what it's all about after all isn't it? Maybe yous will be back to do another marathon after all? :wink:

Big respect!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 pm

cheers elaine, maybe you will be doing the next one with us :wink:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Fiona28 has totally captured the atmosphere of this the friendliest of Marathons. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would run 26.2 (26.78!) smiling most of the time – I just did not want it to end. What made it really special was not only the support of the watching crowds but the support of the participants – the local guys who told you what to expect over the next 6 miles or so – when to hold back, when to let rip, when to walk thru a water station to get your strength for the next slight incline (course pretty much flat). I have never ever been in a race where folk you sprint past at the finish congratulate you seconds later – so gracious, so generous.
It was just one of those days you occasionally get when everything comes together – I kept my head and looking at my splits I managed a marginally faster second half. Mile 22 was the most demanding – the realisation that I was now in unknown territory. A long slurp of powerade, and the best slice of water melon I have ever tasted got me sorted. Five days on I still feel on top of the world. Yes Elaine, I have the marathon bug. And for sure what I talk about when I talk about running has changed forever.
Jackie all the best for NY – the tapering works. And limited sleep and a McDonalds including a gloriously unhealthy McFlurry – dairy milk (me), crunchie (Fiona), smartie (Joc) a day or so before doesn’t seem to matter! :D
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:30 pm

sitting here laughing at the thought of us 3 in McD's at midnight (early hours of saturday morning) knocking into burger, chips and ice-cream with chocolate floating in it - marathon nutrition :lol:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat