Music Festival 2010

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Re: Music Festival 2010

Postby Mack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Hello EileenH,

No your quite right to complain - we hoped to pull it off with three different types of band, and, almost made it. Everything was going well early on - but the last twenty minutes of Phil and Aly's set was ruined by background noise. Four Men and a Dog were alright for the venue, as were the first band on; however, our own fears were realised later in the set. Thats why we normally have this type of concert in the Picture House, and, the festival organisers were delighted to have found a way to satisfy all of its customers. People are entitled to be exhuberant, but unfortunately this venue is a disaster if you try to mix and match. The loss of the Picture House was a major blow, especially when we committed ourselves to P&H. The cinema had concerns with their electrics, so couldn't accommodate a booking this year.

Victoria Hall is excellent for Survivors Night , an all-standing rock/pop legends concert, even for the Ceilidh; however; not for a purist accoustic set. It is difficult to find a venue in Campbeltown for this type of concert, however, we will continue our search. Each year the festival walks a financial tightrope, and, only survives with the help of sponsorship, grant and, the committment of the ticket buying public. We want to provide music for all tastes - unfortunately, at this moment in time we do not have the appropriete venues to cater for our ambitions. We are sorry If your enjoyment was compromised, however; I hope you will understand our predicament.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Goldielocks » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Have been reading all the comments about the music festival, and it seems to have gone very well, except for a few hitchs. I didnt make it this year, but hope to be at next years events. One question I have.... reading a lot of the replys from the festival commitee and they say that they had been let down by the Picture House for Phil and Allys preformance, did they not approach the Picture House before they booked A&P to see if the venue was available? to me that would have made more sense, they could then have looked for someone more suitable for the vic.

Anyway well done to the commitee for all their hard work
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mack » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Hello Goldielocks,

If only things were that simple. Phil and Aly are always in great demand - not only in Scotland, but across the world. The chance to book this act was too good to miss, and, since we only had a small window of oppertunity, we grabbed it with both hands. Having used the Cinema over the previous four years, there seemed little danger that we could not do the same in 2010. Sometimes you have to gamble to get top acts in place before the door of opportunity closes - this was one of these cases. However; at the time it did not feel like a gamble, as rightly or wrongly we booked the act in good faith and, in the comfort of a sound working relationship with the venue. We simply did not see this coming. We will move on suitably chastened; however, wouldn't it be great if the town had an appropriate auditorium for this type of act. It certainly would make the life of the MOK FEST much easier. Thankfully, the rest of the programme went comparitvely well.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Goldielocks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am

Hi again,
Thank you for your reply to my question, I am sorry to disagree with you, but I feel that you should have made sure that you could hire the Cinema before booking any acts for that venue, not only is it not professional,,,,, but to assume that you can get a venue because you have had it before is just not on. Surely you need to make sure that you can accomadate your star act , I read in the Courier that the reason for the Cinema not being available was due to electrical problems so they did not let you down, they just could not accomadate you. what would you expect them to do ignore the electrical problem

Another question would be How far in advance do you book the Vic? or do you just assume that you will get the hall.
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Goldielocks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am

hi
Last edited by Goldielocks on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Isa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 am

Just wondering what is wrong with the electrics? Is there a safety issue and if so why is The Picture House still open?

Isa
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ultraviolet » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:07 am

Goldielocks wrote:I read in the Courier that the reason for the Cinema not being available was due to electrical problems so they did not let you down, they just could not accomadate you. what would you expect them to do ignore the electrical problem

How about fixing the problem? It is so disappointing that the cinema was not a venue this year for the Music Festival. I have been to every Music Festival concert in the Cinema and was really disappointed when Ali and Phil were not playing there. Surely some kind of compromise could have been reached?

Isn't the Picture House a COMMUNITY business afterall???? :!: :?: :?: :?
ultraviolet
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EileenH » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:56 pm

I think the festival committee did the best they could after being let down by the picture house. If the folk at the back hadn't been so bad mannered as to blether while Phil and Aly were on there wouldn't have been a problem. I don't for one minute blame the committee for the ignorant folk at the back. Remember, these folk do this in there own free time voluntarily for the enjoyment of everyone else in the town. Maybe the answer on the night would have been for security to ask these people to go outside if they wanted to chat. Just because they paid their £25 it didn't entitle them to spoil other peoples' night. If they didn't want to watch Phil and Aly, perhaps they should have come in later? Hopefully, things will be sorted with the electrics in the picture house for next year.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:04 pm

EileenH wrote: Hopefully, things will be sorted with the electrics in the picture house for next year.

EileenH, I would be worried about sitting in a public place with electrics that need sorting for another year. Everybody keeps alluding to faulty electrics.

Is there an explanation somewhere that I haven't read explaining the situation?
Should the public be in there?
Is there an official report regarding this problem?
Is health and Safety involved?
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EileenH » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Isa, my post was referring to the concert in the Vic. I don't know anything about the electrics in the picture house. Obviously it was felt that it wasn't safe to plug into the electrics during the music festival or else this venue would have been used. I can only presume that the electric sockets needed for the festival aren't generally used. It would be up to those in the picture house to put this right. Maybe this should be another thread? I thought this discussion was on the music that was on at the festival - not whether or not it's safe to go to the pictures. My point was only that the work on the electrics may be sorted so that next year this venue can be used for the festival. We don't have many other venues in the town to enable the festival committee to organise concerts so we have to make the best of what we do have.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:19 pm

EileenH wrote:Obviously it was felt that it wasn't safe to plug into the electrics during the music festival

:shock: :shock:
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EileenH » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm

You never finished my sentence off in your quote. So this quote doesn't really make much sense to me with the two wee faces! If you want to quote me on something, would it not make sense to use the whole quote and then comment? Just not sure what you mean.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Hello Goldielocks,

At no time did I say that the Picture House let the festival down. In an earlier conversation I was at pains to say that the venue belongs to the Community Business, and, they are the only ones who have the right to refuse a booking. Maybe you could refer to earlier posts on the subject to confirm my stance.

All of our venue bookings are made early in the year; however, sometimes an opportunities arises that works for the festival, such as the chance to book Phil and Aly before their diary for the coming season is full. To refuse such an offer would not only be unprofessional, it would be a desertion of duty to the festival public. If you want to make an issue simply on the order of venue/artist confirmation, then I would have to bite the bullit and agree with you. However; maybe you could come on board and try to organise the event. Only then would you appreciate the difficulties in getting top class acts to venture into the far west, and, the amount of time that is spent securing a worthwhile programme for each year. Please appreciate, It doesn't come together like clockwork and, sometimes decisions are taken in good faith before they are lost. I would ask you to consider eighteen years of organisation before you suggest unprofessionalism!

Have no fear - the Picture House is still fully operational for films, they simply could not accept the booking because of the power load required for stage lighting etc. We accepted this judgement without issue.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 pm

they simply could not accept the booking because of the power load required for stage lighting etc.

Further and better particulars required I think. Perfectly adequate stage lighting can be provided through a couple of 13 amp sockets, especially with the sort of low-energy systems now available and which one well-known local expert could have provided (and did at the Heritage Centre for the concerts staged there). He has also 'lit' previous Picture House concerts with the existing electrics.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello WC1,

The details required have to come from the venue organisers, and, although we as a group have borne the brunt of everyone's frustration, it would be churlish of me to doubt what I have been told. I know full well that a light power supply can easily carry smaller systems - Heritage Centre etc - but with today's health and safety legislation, would the commercial rig previously used in Picture House concerts be allowed? This is something only the venue organisers can explain, as the technical details are not available to us as a potential hirer. As I have said before - frustrating or not, we can only accept in good faith what we have been told.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival