Bulger killer Venables jailed over child abuse images

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Bulger killer Venables jailed over child abuse images

Postby Sweltered » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 pm

remember, in IIons world, no-one is expected to take responsibility for their actions...
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Ok, like others, I’ve been trying to stay out of the whole of Current Affairs altogether but now I can’t help it. I’m well aware that like Ionns I will be thoroughly castigated but it is indeed a human catastrophe – although it won’t be the last. These boys were very damaged individuals and we are surely aware of how exposure to violence and severe neglect will have a significant impact on behaviour and mental health. The fact that two wee boys could abduct, torture and kill a toddler says so much about our society. That they were put in the dock and tried as adults says an awful lot too. Like Ionns and unlike thousands of hate-filled tabloid readers, I believe in the rehabilitation process and was devastated that the result was not the success story some of us hoped for when he was released. But instead, this was seen as a sign to renew the vilification and to scream and rant about the money we spend on attempting to rehabilitate criminals. Somewhere in all of this is the good news that possibly, Thompson has been more successful.
I once knew a lovely child who was abused and neglected by his family. Not until he was 16 did we fully learn of the extent of his horrific abuse. It was of no surprise that we learned later he was sentenced to eight years for abusing children. He was made into that monster by his family and simply did to others what his family did to him for years. That is enormously tragic.
Please Blueboy, I also believe in the other aim of the justice system: punishment. But these were children and honestly, the media coverage makes me feel sick. Maybe, instead, we should be considering how Britain has the highest incarceration rate, the lowest age of criminal responsibility, the longest sentences, the most overcrowded and inappropriate prisons for those in need of rehabilitation, and the most punitive media culture in Europe. On top of that we also have the greatest social dislocation and gap between rich and poor. So perhaps we should be investing in communities and education and housing and social and welfare services so that future Thompsons and Venableses never get that broken in the first place or, if they do, are discovered and mended long before they kill another wee James.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:12 am

Brilliant post girl.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am

Ah but sometimes I think you go too far the other way Ionns. Remember we're discussing this case. There are thousands of others where I'd be happy to throw away the key to the dungeon. :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs