Music Festival 2010

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Re: Music Festival 2010

Postby WC1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 am

Things have moved on recently after the disappointment of not being able to have a concert in the Picture House. It seems the electrics need to be upgraded to accommodate our lights etc.

Highly unlikely. You can plug a modest lighting rig, certainly as much as you'd need in the Picture House, into a couple of 13 amp sockets. Could we perhaps dig a bit deeper to establish the real reason why this venue is not available?
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Hello WC1,

As you'll appreciate, the Picture House is the responsibility of the Directors of Campbeltown Community Business. If they say the venue is not available for a certain reason, then we as a group can only accept this as gospel. I know where you are coming from, as we have already felt the frustration of rejection and, have had to handle the extra problems of re-jigging events. It is unfortunate, but we can do little about it. We have been informed that the reason is inadequate electrics and, although disappointed, can only accept the board's decision.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I absolutely accept that you have to go by what you are told. However, I can't accept that electrics that have been perfectly adequate year after year have suddenly become incapable of running even a modest lighting rig. This is an important community facility. Perhaps by next year the Picture House electrics can be improved - it shouldn't be either difficult or expensive - but my guess would be that you'll then be given another reason why it can't be made available.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:48 am

Hello WC1,

You can rest assured that the organisers of the festival are severely disappointed that we could not book the venue this year. It was something of a bolt out of the blue! The Picture House is a splendid venue, and, as you know, it played host to a number of top quality concerts over the past few years. We hope that we can return to the venue in the near future, and, will attempt to book it again next year. Hopefully, the said problem will be rectified by 2011. It was explained to us that the electrics would be upgraded in the next phase of renovations. Once more, we can only accept what we are told. If there is a deeper lying reason, I am not aware of it.

You'll understand my reluctance to have dialogue on something I know little about. We can only accept decisions in good faith.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Dunc R » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm

So the blurb on the website is in fact not really true:

"The Picture House was rewired and redecorated with new lighting. The refurbished seating was reorganised to provide better visibility and legroom, dramatically lowering the total capacity from 640 seats to 285."

Perhaps the rewire was not as sucessfull as the Picture House thought
"Another objective of this community business is to create jobs and additional amenities. It currently employs two people full time and five part time. Through them and by using local traders over £50,000 is put back into Kintyre's economy annually."

Would have thought a concert would fall under "Additional Amenities"
Dunc R
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WC1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Prior to its refurbishment the capacity had already been reduced to 470 and is currently 265, not 285. Keep the figure of 265 in mind in relation to hire charges.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Goldielocks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:15 pm

When was the picture house rewired and new lighting put in?? I thought that the last bit of work to be done there was the new roof :) and the sound system
Goldielocks
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bill » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Mack wrote:
This left us with an almighty headache of what to do for the best. The problem has now been resolved, and, a decision was taken to have a table and chairs event in the Vic on Saturday. There will be three bands/acts during the evening. Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain, the wonderful Irish group 'Three Men and a Dog,' plus one other support band.

I have two cassettes I bought many years ago(early nineties)of an excellent Irish group called "Four men and a dog".I have "Googled "the group you have mentioned and no hits,so is it four men and not three men. ?

http://www.fourmenandadog.com/
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mack » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Yes Bill, your obviously quite right - it is 'Four Men and a Dog.' How I managed to eliminate one of these fine musicians is anyone's guess. I didn't even know until you prompted me! I'm reliably informed they come together only a limited number of times per year - so we are very fortunate to have them back in Campbeltown for what will be the third time.

Tickets sales are going well - so if you want to see a fantastic Irish band,and, our own top class Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain on the same show, log on to ticketweb and get your tickets.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby katya » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:17 pm

I just want to say a big thank you to all who helped to organise this years festival. Due to other commitments I only managed Doon the Green and Survivors Night, both of which were fantastic. The mix of music last night was brilliant and there was a great atmosphere - bar a couple of people who had indulged too much!
katya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EileenH » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:30 pm

The only problem I found this year was that when the bands at the concert were speaking between songs, I couldn't hear for the people up at the bar area speaking. When it's a seated concert as such folk should have a bit of respect for the performers. Phil Cunningham's wee stories are very entertaining but it was annoying not to be able to hear the punchline
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bigchang » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:50 pm

I agree, also if you buy a ticket for a seated gig you expect to get said seat that you've paid for, not to go scrambling around to get tables & chairs from other areas within the hall!! :twisted: :twisted:
bigchang
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EileenH » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:05 pm

I agree. We had to stand for a while before more seats were put out. Unfortunately mine was right beside the middle bar and had folk ordering drinks right beside me. If they sell 300 tickets there should be 300 seats. The bands that were on were all really good.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:11 pm

As a festival organiser, the only problem we had was our originally choice of venue was not available. We had to re-jig the event to have in the Victoria Hall, not because we wanted to use this venue - we had no alternative, as it was the only hall availble that would make this particular concert viable. It is difficult to cater for latecomers in the Vic, as most people form companies early on. The seats are there, it is just difficult to cater for everyone's individual needs as the night progresses.

The issue of noise is also merited. Once more the problem is having a bar in a listening area. The only way the organisers could afford a three band concert of the class provided was to have a licensed event. Under the circumstances we tried to pull it off. Four Men and a Dog were fine as they produced a high octane set, but it just didn't work for Phil and Aly who were originally booked for the unavailable venue. All things given, I felt the festival provided something for almost everyone. We hate negative comments, and, I can assure you they are taken on board.

The festival will never again produce a purist listening event in a hall that is not condusive to the act. However, please understand we had no alternative in this case!

Anything positive to say - the committee do read the reviews and, it helps our mentality and understnding of your requirements if you tell us you like, as well as dislike aspects of the event.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EileenH » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm sorry Mack, I really didn't want to sound negative. I know how much work goes into organising the festival. It's alot of hard work. I'm not blaming the organisers. I was just annoyed because I enjoy listening to Phil Cunningham's stories. I would still go back and watch the concert in the same venue. We don't have very many venues to choose from in the town. I very much enjoyed Four Men and a Dog. It's the first time I've seen them. Maybe I'm just getting old as I would probably have been one of the 'noisy folk' a few years ago!!!
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival