The Road to Drumleman

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

The Road to Drumleman

Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 pm

The song, 'The Road to Drumleman' was, as you all well know, written by local man Willie Mitchell.

I'm sure you all know too that Tony Cuffe took this song & put a new melody to it & in the process, made it famous right around the World.

Now at a Dalriada Connections Concert a few years back, we had the pleasure of hearing Willie's daughters actually sing this song to the melody their Dad put the song to, & very nice it was too.

However, I'm wondering why local folks have such a problem with Tony's new melody?

After all, that is a recognized & perfectly natural element of the Traditional process, when someone puts a different air to a song. The rule of thumb is generally regarded as being, if it works folk will adopt it & use it, but if not & the new melody doesn't suit, then it will be quickly forgotten.

I would tend to think that Willie would be chuft to bits to know that his song was being sung today all round the World. After all, it's the WORDS that are the most important element of the song & thanks to Tony Cuffe, folk enthusiasts throughout the World now know those words & enjoy the sentiments that song so expertly conveys.

Cheers
Dick
Ptarmigan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: The Road to Drumleman

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 am

Ptarmigan wrote:However, I'm wondering why local folks have such a problem with Tony's new melody?

Do they?

Can you hear it on-line anywhere?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 pm

I personally don't think that locals have a problem with Tony's new melody! In fact until I had the misfortune to stumble across your post, I was blissfully unaware that there was a campaign to publicise it.

Maybe there are a lot like me that think it isn't a patch on Willie's version. Am I allowed to think that in these modern times?
You just carry on listening to this "famous around the world" version, and leave me to enjoy the one I like to listen to.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby John A » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:39 pm

I agree Pete I wasn't aware that anyone had a problem with the "tony" version.

But like you and as a fellow student of the world famous Drumlemble academy I personally dont think its a patch on the original but certainly don't dislike or "have a problem" with the other version.

Where do you get the idea that locals have a problem with the other version Ptarmigan?

Though I should say I do get a tad annoyed when the new version replaces Craigaigs wild shore with Creggans wild shore, Jeest because they cant pronounce Crajuck :roll:
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pete Reek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I hope this thread isn't going to be the start of a global revolution in "New Melodies"!

I was talking to a man today that has already given "New York-New York" a complete revamp as he thinks it's been around too long in its original format.
Even more worrying is that he has apparently now turned his attention to "Hey Jude"!
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jock Strap » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Pete Reek wrote:Even more worrying is that he has apparently now turned his attention to "Hey Jude"!

"Take a sad song and make it better?" :P :wink:
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pete Reek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Brilliant my dear Mr.Strap- totally brilliant!!!
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Pete, if anyone knows the road to Drumleman your the wan,------ man.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Ptarmigan , like the posters before me I have never been aware of any "locals" having a problem with the new tune. I am Willie's grandaughter and I can assure you that none of the family have any problem with it. Like John A says, the only thing any of us pick up on is the mispronounciation of Cragaig! Is the tune you are talking about the one covered by Full Moon Ensemble?
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival