The marquee debate

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

The marquee debate

Postby Mack » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:37 am

Hello Folks,

The cost of marquee for the 'big green' is not really the issue. The subject has been investigated, as has the hanger at the Drome. The biggest factor against the marquee is the health and safety issues is raises. There is also the fact of being in an area surrounded by residential property. This of course means early close-down, a slightly less attractive alternative.

Moving to private area outwith the town to accommodate a marquee would mean loss of present funding - another anomoly to consider. The committee has considered these options, however, we are all things to all people - a community event that wishes to remain in the heart of the town. That's what we started the whole thing for - to help the wee toon and its folks, irrespective of age or tastes in music.

Mack
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:25 am

what constitutes an early finish? 9pm-10pm? don't most open air events finish before midnight. its called starting early, doesn't need to revolve around those attending getting "in the mood" in the local bars first. have the committee asked about any restrictions? what constitutes outwith the town where funding is concerned. is the agricultural show site too far? the fields opposite the dhorlin? they've been used in the past. if all these have been looked at and found wanting then fair enough, if not?

as for the all ages all tastes point? i'l put it down to being the wrong age with the wrong tastes, i must fall into the "theres always one" category, how many years has the fest been going? it took he stranglers to get me to attend my first and i could have bought the cd they used for half the output and still been £15 better off, tho box oh bananas were excellent.
tho i suspect the bar in the vic is half the attraction to some, i understand that its responsible for a good percentage of the takings so can't be avoided.

if the desire was there to go "outside" i'm sure any obsticles could be overcome. look at survivors night, always a sellout and its the event, not the bands that sell the tickets, no offence to any of the bands, who all do charity shows during the year that don't get the same attendance, which is sad.

that said i hope its a bumper year and all that attend have a great time, whoeverthe main event is/are/were
general jack o'niell

Marquee debate

Postby Mack » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:09 pm

A good point about the Agricultural Ground at Anderston, this said, maybe the wrong moment given the number of festivals that are struggling to make ends meet. Going by the rumour machine, even the Connect Festival will take years to become viable, and they are a corporate machine with far more clout than we could ever hope to have - not defeatist, only realistic.

Given the number of 'big' festivals - do you think another one in geographical challenged area would be successful? It is extremely difficult to gain private sponsorship in an area as commercially depressed as Kintyre, and, even with the will, by moving we would be taking a real gamble, one we couldn't afford to lose!

Other events who opted for the marquee have gone to the wall - most, I might add, in areas similar to Kintyre. Without commercial backing they had to depend on turnout - something that lasted for a couple of years before the additional costs of tented venues eventually did them in.

Maybe it would work, however, the present facts are quite sobering.

Mack
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:35 pm

maybe your right, with the connect fest and loch lomond maybe that boat has sailed? maybe moving the saturday kinloch green event to kintyre park, a few more live bands, some portaloos and a nominal entrance fee would be an alternative? a couple of pound to get in, with the saturday night main event doing a short warm up stint, half an hour or so, wouldn't take that much organising, just some stewarding (forgot about the nonsense regarding this, but i'm sure there are enough qualified persons locally to stop freeloaders without needing the likes of rocksteady)
general jack o'niell

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:39 pm

If you wanted somewhere outdoors but not in a built up area of the toon hows about the same spot as the "June Show" its just on the edge of town so you could it you wanted visit the bars then head out for the bands...they used to use the same fields for the festival campsite anyway :?:
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival