Next Years Festival 2008

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Next Years Festival 2008

Postby browneyedgirl » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:54 pm

I would like to propose that next year we try something different, surely we can get with the times and move away from the victoria hall. Would it be possible to hire a marquee for the weekend and have it over the green? I for one wouldn't mind paying for a weekend ticket with the hope of maybe attracting some big name acts!
Thoughts everyone?
browneyedgirl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Friend of Dorothy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:17 pm

I do feel that after this years awful weather, it would be great to have a covered arena for the larger crowd.I have heard that the marquee suggestion has previously been mentioned to the commitee and cost appears to be the reason this has not happened. I would see it as a way of extending the festival even further, keeping the more traditional acts in the present venues while opening up 'The Green' to the more progressive artistes.
There’s no place like home.......
Friend of Dorothy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Next Years Festival 2008

Postby Ranald » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:43 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I would like to propose that next year we try something different, surely we can get with the times and move away from the victoria hall. Would it be possible to hire a marquee for the weekend and have it over the green? I for one wouldn't mind paying for a weekend ticket with the hope of maybe attracting some big name acts!
Thoughts everyone?

I reckon this idea is essential for the development of the festival. A couple of big names in two separate venues is all well and good but a weekend gig idea is surely far more likely to draw in people from near and far. You could also have a huge variety of bands and even a different style of headliner on each night to satisfy the different audiences. The Stranglers this year weren't my cup of tea so I gave them a miss on the Saturday night, whereas last year I thought Idlewild were amazing. No doubt there are a lot of other people who would say the opposite was true so a weekend event gives plenty of scope for catering for all tastes. A huge tent would also help to avoid potential weather problems and the corresponding ticket price increases would surely help to cover the additional costs.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The modfather » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm

if it aint broke, dont fix it
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:57 pm

I agree with both FOD and Ranald here. Most music festivals now make use of marquees to give a selection of bands.

I also think the format of having one big headliner is getting a little tired. You're trying to cover all bases when you book one big band whereas with a number of smaller bands you avoid that problem. FOD mentioned the cost of a marquee, but the cost of one a big headliner must be pretty high too.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:26 pm

buy a marquee with all that goes with it, there should be funding available to help out, then it can be used throughout the year, its a one off cost, if the fest runs at a loss for a year or two to pay it off then so what, i don't picture it going away so it will eventually be recouped. does the fest as an organisation actually own anything? they hire venues, PA etc, willie supplies lights, so does it have any assets? if not then a marquee would be a good solid investment as would a good standard PA system, they could be hired out during the year to cover costs, if all that they look for is an income to recoup the initial outlay then they could compete with companies who do this professionally. afterall it would only be needed for one weekend in the town.

if the event runs at a loss for a year or two so what? once you have the facility it gives a fourth venue, fifth if the school is used too, just that would effectively double the size of the weekend. the present, somwething for the old folks, saturday night headliner and sunday "everyone will go, cos its traditional" is getting to be a bit insular, no criticism intended, just an opinion looking from the outside.

such a plan would springboard a huge surge in interest from both the public and from bands, i know theres quite a few bands that come every year just because of the great atmosphere generated in the town, having an established premanent outdoor venue would only increase this interest, its probably surprising the amount of bands that would want to return year after year just because its a great place to play, the money side of things would take care of themselves if this was achieved.

oh and i still want the wigwambams next year, jimmyD and the boys are going strong and have just returned form the shetlands where they played two storming nights
general jack o'niell

Postby chris t » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 am

Hey everyone, thought you might be interested in a bit o finfo. from Oz where The 'Blues and Roots' Festival in Byron Bay (Australia) happens every year at Easter...it usually rains and people just cope with it...gumboots are always very popular...

There are ususally four big marquees with big name bands in each of them...all at the same time! The Festival kicks off at 12:00 each day and finishes pretty much at 12:00 each night. The choice is staggering and well worth the ticket price.

Tickets are often sold out before the Festival starts...

Thousands turn up religiously each year and some have been attending for as long as the Festival...almost 20 years now (I think)

It's a big money spinner for the town of Byron Bay and all the surrounding communities...

So, some advice from the big southern land, 'Dream big!'

I'm coming to the MOK Fest next year myself. Should I bring the gumboots? 8) 8) 8)
Always was, always will be Aboriginal land
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 am

So, does this mean you are already thinking about a ticket back for the MOKFest????
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chris t » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 am

Absolutely! What about you cuz?

C
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:37 pm

It is an awesome time. If I can get the time off, I am definitely there! LOL
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chris t » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 pm

I really hope you can make it Annie, we could have a lot of fun there, especially with Sleezy! Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

By the way, where's Willie these days? It's time to get the Christmas presents organsied and posted. Do you have an addres for him? I assume he's not at the old place. C
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Annie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:42 am

Aye, Sleazy, what about him - is he a mess or what? But ye gotta love him anyway!

Willie is still at the cottage, as far as I know, but I will ask cousin Jeannette - Just address it to No 3, The Cottages, Bellochantuy, Scotland, UK - it will get there! The postman will know exactly where to take it!

Send him a nice new jumper (sweater) and he will be thrilled to bits! Especially if its made from Merino sheep all the way from Australia. He will be walking around telling everyone! LOL He will be so proud!

He is a lovely wee man that Wullie!

P.S.:
Do you have Jeannette's email? If not I will send it to you. It should be somewhere in the emails that I sent you that had the photos (look for Jinty).

Cheers!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Where's Willie?

Postby chris t » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:00 am

Cheers, Annie I'll get the pressies packed and sent off in the next few weeks.

I'm off to Darwin next week, might find something very 'Australian' there as well...need to think about birthday presents too I guess...that's going to require a bit of thought though! Should be a bit of fun trying to find the perfect present!

I've got Jeanette's email - thanks.

C
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Annie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:22 pm

Good - or as sleazy would say - Nae bother at all!"

Have fun in Darwin!

Send me a postcard!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

MOK Fest 2008

Postby chris t » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 am

Will do Annie, and apologies to everyone else having to read this thread...we've really strayed from the subject here...but we will be there at the MOK Fest in 2008...getting really excited about it ....that's the good news! :D :D :D

C
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival