Music Festival

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Re: Music Festival

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:26 pm

dr-sanchez wrote:
How much did you pay to go see Paul Rodgers and all that at the cooshed? Price is not a problem if the act is good enough.

to be fair, there's a quite a big difference in getting a once in a lifetime chance to see queen and going to the vic to 'see' a band that don't play any of their own songs (to my knowledge) and that a large portion of the crowd present arent really paying attention to, being more interested in yarning to each other!

They're as much Free as they are Queen, so I wouldn't have called it once in a lifetime! If anybody has seen Freddy live, that is a different story!
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dr-sanchez » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 pm

och away
You again, you b*****d!
dr-sanchez
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:54 pm

dr-sanchez wrote:och away

:)
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Campbell A » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Take there would be no chance of getting the Proclaimers down for the festival, I know they've been before but that wasn't linked to the music festival. One of the few scottish bands who appeal to a wide range of ages and would be a gauranteed sell out.

IainJ wrote:Hi Folks

Hayseed Dixie would be a great band for the Vic but they are not available, keep the ideas coming although.

RE the price of the tickets, we try and keep them as low as we can but we still have to pay for the bands, PA system, lights, venue, band accommodation, PRS, security, marketing etc and we have to try and cover the cost with only the tickets and bar which is difficult.

We suffered a bit this year by not being able to attract as big a name band for the Vic as in past years but if we can't afford them within the ticket price then we can't book them. We have got to be careful as quite a few Festivals have folded over the past couple of years.

Don't worry we will continue to try and attract the best bands we can to the event.

As I mentioned earlier, keep the ideas coming.

IainJ
Campbell A
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elizabeth13087 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:17 am

Excuse my ignorance.....what are the dates for 2009 please, ? Sounds like it will be worth putting in the diary
elizabeth13087
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Willie D » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 pm

elizabeth13087 wrote:Excuse my ignorance.....what are the dates for 2009 please, ? Sounds like it will be worth putting in the diary

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4445
'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
Willie D
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby IainJ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Iain - thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it's pretty easy for someone like me to sit and make suggestions about bands, but I'd be really interested to know about the main barriers you face when trying to get bands to the Music Festival. Is it cost, availability, clashes with other festivals, event not big enough for their ego's....... etc, etc.

Sheik, sorry for the delay getting back to you. The main barrier is the cost of the bands and the fact that they normally don’t want to play to an audience of less than 2,000. We have been fortunate in the past to have managed to persuade bands like Deacon Blue, Idlewild and the Stranglers to the Festival by selling the intimate concert angle to them. Over the last four years we have approached loads of different bands and it is really a case of catching one when they are looking for, or just willing to play a smaller venue.

I do feel that possibly the Saturday Vic concert has been affected slightly by the Connect Festival but I also believe if we attract the right band it will sell anyway.

One of the ideas we have been looking at is, if it is a bigger name band could we charge a bit more for a ticket, this way we can offer the band more. The thing is we really don’t want to do this in case we price the tickets too high for people to pay. It may be that if we can’t attract a big enough name every year we may chop and change the type of concerts that we hold on the Saturday night.

We are currently checking out bands for next year so by all means keep the ideas coming, our way of thinking is that unless you approach a band you never know if they would actually do the gig.

Take there would be no chance of getting the Proclaimers down for the festival, I know they've been before but that wasn't linked to the music festival. One of the few scottish bands who appeal to a wide range of ages and would be a guaranteed sell out.

Campbell, the Proclaimers are touring at that time but have not finalised their dates yet, they say they could be anywhere in the world that weekend!!

Excuse my ignorance.....what are the dates for 2009 please, ? Sounds like it will be worth putting in the diary

Elizabeth, the Festival date is always on the second last Saturday in August, that way we don’t clash with either the Cowal Games or the World’s making next years date August 20th – 23rd.

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby £3.73 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Connect Festival appears to have been cancelled this year - 2009 :roll: :shock: :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 865390.stm

Even the credit crunch may have a silver lining ???
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Could we maybe attract some of the bands that might've played there going for the 'intimate gig' angle?? maybe KT Tunstall, Amy McDonald, Franz Ferdinand, Travis or Proclaimers again?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby IainJ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi Elaine

We've tried them all and do so every year, we have had varying degrees of interest from them all except Amy McDonald's agent who didn't even respond.

We keep trying these type of bands just in case they are looking for an intimate gig which I know KT, Travis and Franz Ferdinand occasionally do. The thing is if we want them for the Festival they have got be be looking for this type of event at the same time as the Festival is on which is difficult. The Proclaimers are only available when they are on a major tour and the problem with that is, they could be anywhere in the world in August, if it suits them and we can afford them I am sure they will come.

Deacon Blue, Idlewild and the Stranglers were all quite happy to appear as it suited them to play at that time so we managed to get them. We have been close to getting other well known bands but one of the main problems we have is that the V Festival is usually on at the same time as us and it is a bit of a no-brainer which Festival they will go to given the choice.

We are very happy to have the Chilli Pipers this year and, from the feedback we have received it seems to be a popular choice. We will continue to try and attract the best bands we can to the event and if we don't always manage, it is not through lack of trying.

Keep the suggestions coming as we do take notice of all the requests

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bigchang » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:45 am

What about The Real McKenzies to go with the Chilli Pipers. 8)
Do i know you?
my names Will, you've never seen me before!
maybe I'll see you again then Will.
I hold up buses........
bigchang
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the reply IanJ, glad the committee are trying to get the best and I'm sure the red hot chilli pipers will be great.

I hope the burnside bash can be reinstated this year?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival