MOKFEST yarns..

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:28 pm

you just gave away who the angry wee wummin is!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby Mary G » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm

I was not expecting any credit ... and btw, that was me being very civil ... you will know when I am in angry mode!

And you are right, bumping into old friends, and those not so old, like yourself, is also part of what makes the festival a lot of fun for us folk who return regularly enough anyway, because you do get the chance to see a lot people more when there is a happening in the town.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:41 pm

think urself lucky, ur about the only one i recognised, eyes not as good as they were, who am i kidding, they were never good
general jack o'niell

Postby Friend of Dorothy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Angry wee wumin...............never guessed! :o
There’s no place like home.......
Friend of Dorothy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Hope that's no directed tae Fiona, or am gonnae tell. :shock:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm missing something here.....

Who was angry at who? Mary angry? nawww!
And I thought Gen Jack had no intentions of going to the Stranglers now I read he was there and taking notes apparantly!

Hoots going on?

I'll need to ask Jack or Dorothy or Mary
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:33 pm

i'm saying nothing, not a word about the prices of drinks, i resent buying alcohol at the best of times but when your told to put your hand in your pocket as soon as your in the door then get stiffed for £18 for four drinks? i don't care where the money is going to, but then i'm in a minority, everyone else had no problem parting with their cash.

the PA and all its trickery was responsible for 75% of the effect, a very average band would sound amazing with that technology, its taken me half an hour to work out all mr. burnell's basslines so they can't be that hard to play, the bits he was playing that is.

get wigwambamz next year, at least they are entertaining, and you get two bands for one as two of them are in an electric folk group called the electrics.

the big question i want answered, did jean jaque find the "predatory" woman he was looking for? thats half the female population over the age of thirty
general jack o'niell

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:24 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:i'm saying nothing, not a word about the prices of drinks, i resent buying alcohol at the best of times but when your told to put your hand in your pocket as soon as your in the door then get stiffed for £18 for four drinks? i don't care where the money is going to, but then i'm in a minority, everyone else had no problem parting with their cash.

FFS what were they drinking? Magners and brandy chasers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously there is no way you spent £18 on four drinks. Prices seemed reasonable to me and in line (if not cheaper) than pubs.

Anyway, was nice to see you on Saturday - enjoyed the yarn.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hugs Thistles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

Well I wiz at the Stranglers and I had an absolute ball, and although I agree with Gen Jack on his trickery thesis, trickery hasn’t stopped me enjoying watching live bands since Nineteen Oatcake. I’ve vivid memories of my jazz-trumpeting musical god of a Faither rampaging across musical argument slating Hendrix / Page / Gilmour etc… for using the trickery of sound affecting effects and amplified distortion rather than natural instrument sound. Then I found the Incredible String Band using acoustic instruments and that shut the bugger up – senile auld goat.

I’ve seen The Stranglers four or five times now, but an Apollo gig of Nineteen Oatcake (the intricacies of which I barely remember except for having a ball and getting off with a German girl called Gisella who later taught me things unimaginable) remains by far and away the best. But to Saturday: I liked the gusto and energy of the new front man, but, and it’s the same with watching any band minus a leading structural light, there is a bit of sadness that Hugh just picks up a wee bit PRS for all of his previous invention. When a band becomes a greatest hits troupe without any evolution, or worse relatively appalling new stuff, they lose a bit of appeal for me as a glorified tribute band, but I can still let go and bounce about singing along hauf-pished at the front regardless, even louping into a giant Colossus of a bloke with gothic partner (sorry chief) with impunity, and have a richt guid time while donating my bunnet off my nut to some 5th Gen Suthen’ or other. Tell her it was Sam Brown’s before mine Jboy.

And as for my bestest musical buddies, them Box o’ Bananas, I thought they were in the best form I’ve seen them. Stevie, Jock and Ash are wonderful musicians and great entertainers and it’s all them, ok Faither - with a few effect pedals.

In Whisky Mac’s earlier I saw the Twisted Melons for the first time live, and you have one hell of a band there. Knocked me out stone sober and only an extremely large and inexpensive drap o’ the cratur brought me round enough to totter up to the Victoria Hall in some semblance of normal McCallum haze.

But all things done and dusted, the Wild Sarachs in the Masonic at 2 in the morning takes some beating.

As I wrote way in the beginning, “I had an absolute ball”. Fantastic Saturday, wish I was there Friday and Sunday, and see yiz next year I hope.

HT
Clean out within with a brandy and Vim. Tit Willow.
Hugs Thistles
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

Me and The General shouted politely at each other for about 2 minutes, neither a clue what the other was saying due to the noise, or perhaps it was down to his heavy Limecraigs accent :lol:

Talking of irony it doesn't get any more ironic than The Stranglers singing "Always The Sun", on a day that I thought Noah was about to appear! ..... but you don't go to Campbeltown for the weather, now do you?

However a fantastic weekend had by all.

Went to see the Tellers in the White Hart on Friday night, it was SO hot I thought the Devil was going to make an appearance, even then Mr McAllister would have seen him off with his fiddle playin.

Went for a walk along Dunavery Beach in the horizontal rain on Saturday. Stopped in for tea and GREAT scones at the Tearoom, hospitality beyond belief (I know you're reading this :wink:)

Went to see Dougie Maclean and Co at the Picture House - sensational, as was the support.

Finally on to the Vic for some Stranglers, who I thought (after they had sorted out the Keybaord issues of the first 3 tracks) were pretty good. Particularly enjoyed lead singer Baz's slight twist on the old "Good Evening Campbeltown" routine with his "What the F*%K are we doing in Campbeltown!"

Then took the helicopter back to our little cruiser moored in the loch :wink:

Little Miss Sheik started sheikess school this year so missed the Survivors night for the first in eons. Not that it mattered much anyway because I always woke up on Monday morning thinking - "what the hell happened last night?"

Anyway sometimes it's easy to forget what a great place it is.

I'd move back tomorrow - if someone discovered oil that is :wink:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

Davie P wrote:
general jack o'niell wrote:i'm saying nothing, not a word about the prices of drinks, i resent buying alcohol at the best of times but when your told to put your hand in your pocket as soon as your in the door then get stiffed for £18 for four drinks? i don't care where the money is going to, but then i'm in a minority, everyone else had no problem parting with their cash.

FFS what were they drinking? Magners and brandy chasers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously there is no way you spent £18 on four drinks. Prices seemed reasonable to me and in line (if not cheaper) than pubs.

Anyway, was nice to see you on Saturday - enjoyed the yarn.

Did anyone get a picture of him buying the round?
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:48 am

Aye - it's in the Heritage Centre :lol:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Hey - I didn't know the Wild Sarachs were on in the Masonic at that time ... :cry: ... would have gone along if we had known.

Anyway, Sheik, since you are a big fan of a certain Southend cafe, you have the chance to comment on the excellent hospitality here:
http://cafetrail.visitscotland.com/, as can any other forum members who think that it deserves some wider recognition. This wee VisitScotland scheme to recognise great cafes should include some of what Kintyre has to offer, and no better place to start than the beginning - Southend!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Friend of Dorothy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I'm missing something here.....

Who was angry at who? Mary angry? nawww!
And I thought Gen Jack had no intentions of going to the Stranglers now I read he was there and taking notes apparantly!

Hoots going on?

I'll need to ask Jack or Dorothy or Mary

I should say no more, as I have already had the red card.
Bye the way, Hugs, the 'Collosus' wiz my godson and his girlfriend was the young girl set upon and injured by the two HRT laden she cats. Have spoken to her and she is very reassured by the comments of support she has had from some of you via myself. She will be back :)
There’s no place like home.......
Friend of Dorothy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby general jack o'niell » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:56 pm

you don't catch me going to a bar to buy a round, i've people to do that for me, oh and i miscalculated it was five drinks, not four, i forgot the one or two i had, thats firsttime i've seen stranglers since 79 and the new guy is better if you ask me, he at least put some effort into it, still think ol jj was faking a lot, i sat yesterday and worked out his lines on all the classics, they aint that complicated but you do have to move your fingers from time to time, which he failed to do on more than one occassion. i have a photographic memory for that sort of thing, names? forget it, details, nae bother

i got more joy out of a quiet blether with the horizon duo i went with before we left the hoose, alex even let me play his bass, and the namecheck fae jamie in mcgeochans, i didn't ebven know where the band was playing as i'd been turned blind temporarilly be the heat when i went in. funny thing is, on thursday the horizon duo had been up to my house for lunch, ok a cuppa and we'd been laughing about folk that think they can chant, who then when given the opportunity ask the band for the words(not you chris, we know wot your memory is like) if they do know a song all the way thru its the same song, so sorry boys if you caught me and the rock giggling when you burst into mustang sally, it wisnae you we were laughing at!!!!
general jack o'niell

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival