Historic Walks Round Kilkerran Cemetary-New Subject Matter

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Historic Walks Round Kilkerran Cemetary-New Subject Matter

Postby Mack » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:10 pm

MULL OF KINTYRE MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL 2007.

IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY

An opportunity to discover the varied history of oor ain folk. A walk round Kilkerran Cemetary may sound a little macbre, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Local historian and author Angus Martin will lead two seperate walks on Tuesday 14th and Wednesday 15th August 2007. Beginning at Kilkerran Cemetary Gate with a 7 pm start.

THE SUBJECT MATTER IS COMPLETELY NEW - INFORMATIVE AND INTERESTING, A CHANCE TO HEAR THE STORY OF OUR FOREFATHERS.

NB. Because of limited space, please avoid bringing your car to the cemetary gate. Park safe at a reasonable distance from the cemetary.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Oh, I wish I was there! Would love it. Would anyone be willing to video it?

I'm a cemetery person :oops:

And I've read one of Angus Martin's books. I'm jealous of you all who get to go!
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm

"She walks these hills in a long black veil
She visits my grave when the night winds wail
Nobody knows, nobody sees
Nobody knows but me"

Thought I should have recognised you Bobbie :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 pm

mack

I look forward to these walks every year. getting more popular. Angus makes them really interesting and there is always some sort of theme. Fishing or farming families for example.

What does it mean "completely new format" Maybe they will let us in to the old part. Now that is interesting

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Heritage Walks

Postby Mack » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Hello Jannette,

Angus has researched a number of new sites, so the storyline will be completely different from previous years.

There will be two seperate walks - Tuesday and Wednesday - as we are expecting an increase in numbers.

Thanks for your interest.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bruce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 am

Jeanette wrote:Maybe they will let us in to the old part. Now that is interesting

Having recently walked round the old part of the cemetary (looking for one specific grave!) I can tell you that it certainly is interesting. If they do let you in there it will probably be in limited numbers (the ground is more of a problem that the stability of the stones... some of them, while maybe standing at odd angles, are less likely to fall than those in the newer sections!)

Anyway, if you don't get a chance to go on the tour (or you're not taken in to the old part) you could always ask for access as that's all we did and the gate was unlocked for us! After hunting round almost the entire old section we found the stone we were looking for... less than 10 yards from the gate! :roll:
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jeanette » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:43 am

Bruce

I was in a the old part a few years ago. We had found an old photo of a headstone and knew that it was taken in Kilkerran. It wasn't too hard to locate. The headstone mentioned the Breckenridges who were plentiful in the area at the time but now I think you need to move to Oban to find that as a popular name?

It is interesting to wander around but as you say not a good idea to have a lot of people traipsing through there.

I have given a few photos of Lochead distillery to Russell on the Historic Kintyre site and he is posting them as and when he is adding new images. I found three original Alfred barnard books which I believe come in a set of four. The one mentioning Campbeltown being the one that was missing.

Jeanettte
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bruce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:58 am

It definitely is interesting and I believe that there was a recent survey completed of the names appearing in there (as far as they can be read that is!), but seemingly the positions of the stones weren't noted or numbered at the time!

I have ordered a copy of Barnard's book (its still in print - or at least available!)... I didn't realise it was originally issued in four parts tho! I emailed Russell to see if he is interested in getting pics from the book of the other Campbeltown distilleries (another 4) to go with the pic of Hazelburn that he already has!
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Kilkerran Walk

Postby Mack » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Hello Folks,

Just to say the walk will be around the normal route - the part of the cemetary dating back to approximately the early 1800s. We cannot get permission to walk the really old part of the cemetary - it is fenced off in the interest of safety.
Nevertheless, from experience it is normally a very interesting evening. Angus has researched a new collection of stones, so the storylines will be completely new to his regulars.

Mack.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival