The Oban Set.

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

The Oban Set.

Postby Dick Glasgow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:50 pm

I wrote the March to celebrate a recent visit to Ballycastle, in Co. Antrim, of the excellent Campbeltown Fiddler Maurice Duncan. The other three tunes celebrate Oban & are a wee reminder of a wonderful family holiday I had as a boy, back in the 1960s, on the island of Kerrera.

The Sound of Kerrera Waltz
Maurice Duncan's trip to Ballycastle March
Gylen Castle Strathspey
McCaig's Tower Reel

I am playing these tunes on my Swedish Nyckelharpa, Mandolin, Tenor Guitar, Fiddle & Tenor Banjo.

If you would like to hear these tunes being played on just a Nyckelharpa, follow this link, to watch it over on Vimeo:

Scottish Tunes ~ The Oban Set

For the ABCs & SheetMusic for these tunes, check the following links to the Session website:

Maurice Duncan's trip to Ballycastle:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/12170

{ Anyone familiar with the ABCs system, might also like to know that in the comments section, on The Session, various versions have been posted there, by others, in Dmaj, Amaj, Amix & Gmaj }

The Sound of Kerrera:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/12185

This tune reminds me of a magical family holiday I had, as a boy back in the early '60s on the island of Kerrera. To reach the island, we had to sail across the Sound of Kerrera.
As well as the wonderful scenery & calm, tranquil nature of the place, I remember many happy hours spent Bird Watching & Fishing. I even saw my first wild Otter, while fishing off the rocks, looking over the Sound of Kerrera towards Oban.

Last edited by Dick Glasgow on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Take nothing but pictures, Kill nothing but time, Leave nothing but footprints."
Alfred Wainwright
Dick Glasgow
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: The Oban Set.

Postby Dick Glasgow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

N.B. If you would like to hear these tunes being played on a variety of instruments instead, including, Fiddle, Mandolin, Tenor Guitar, Tenor Banjo & Nyckelharpa, you can watch it over on Vimeo:

Scottish Tunes ~ The Oban Set

Cheers,
Dick
"Take nothing but pictures, Kill nothing but time, Leave nothing but footprints."
Alfred Wainwright
Dick Glasgow
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival