NEW! - The Next One: SUN 14th OCT 2012

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

NEW! - The Next One: SUN 14th OCT 2012

Postby russanros » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks to everyone who was a part of the 2011 Inaugural MOKBIKE, whether you cycled, helped, watched, displayed a poster or donated. Thank You.

Sunday 14th October 2012 is the date for the next one. The Ardshiel is once again kindly supporting us with the start & finish being held there and the post-ride buffet, which was certainly a hit.

The event has also, by popular demand. added an XC mountain bike route, with the kind permission and support of Forestry Commission Scotland. They hope this too will be a success.

The ‘Island’ routes

An Island theme was suggested for the current routes so the 2012 lineup will be as follows:
•The Davaar: The family/fun ride as per 2011
•The Sanda: Harder (33 miles) and Easier (20 miles) as per 2011
Please note these rides are named after the views from them and do not actually visit the island. Wet suits not required.

New for 2012: The Kintyre routes
•The Ultimate: (70 miles) as per 2011
•The Killer: an option – at 103 miles – run if there is enough interest
•Lussa XC Offroad Challenge: a road & off road route, which will take in Campbeltown’s own ‘Wee toon trail’ on Beinn Ghuillean and forest routes between Loch Lussa and Ballochgair & Saddell.

A minimum number of riders will be needed for the Kintyre/Lussa routes due to the number of marshalls that will need to be recruited.

The redesigned entry form will include a ‘second choice’ option in case any routes are vastly undersubscribed (why should they be?). The key to making these routes a success will be getting your name down as soon as possible.
All money raised will be going to Macmillan Cancer Support as per 2011.

Cheers, Russell & Ros.
Last edited by russanros on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: NEW! - The Next One: SUN 14th OCT 2012

Postby saddlesores » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am

Personally, I think you have too many routes and my opinion would be that if there were only say 3 routes then that would attract more entries to a designated challenge. Having a separate mountain bike route would likely detract anyone who had a mountain bike/cyclocross bike from entering say the ultimate route for example.
My routes would be 1) A fun ride for families
2) A route from Campbeltown to Southend and back
3) A round Kintyre route
I would also stipulate that the wearing of a cycling helmet would be compulsory.
The round Kintyre route and possibly the Southend and back route could be timed with the finishing times entered on the Forum.It also gives you a time to beat for the next event.
Thats my opinions anyway.
saddlesores
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby russanros » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 am

My routes would be 1) A fun ride for families
2) A route from Campbeltown to Southend and back
3) A round Kintyre route
I would also stipulate that the wearing of a cycling helmet would be compulsory.
The round Kintyre route and possibly the Southend and back route could be timed with the finishing times entered on the Forum.It also gives you a time to beat for the next event.
Thats my opinions anyway.

Which is exactly what we did last year, after some consultation with yourself- the 2012 routes have been planned from feedback received from people who did participate in the 2011 event. There was good support for trying to get a mountain-bike route established, which we now have access permission for . And also a feeling that serious road riders would be better served with a 100+ miles route.

Regards published times this is something we did try very hard with, however the timing equipment lent was unable to be used on the day, due to problems with the equipment. We did attempt to manually (stopwatch) riders in & out but another marshalling problem saw to it that around 3% of the ridership was not clocked back in correctly, so it seemed unfair (or even impossible) to publish these results, if you are able to offer some practical help on the day with this we would be very greatful.

On the whole the event recorded very good positive feedback including from our 'most local' cycling club in Mid Argyll, so I hope you can understand why we are progressing the 2012 event in the way we are. :wink:
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 am

In addition to picking up an entry form at Aquilibrium or Wee Town Sports in person,
Online forms are now available.
see: http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12624
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge