ANY QUESTIONS? Question & Answer section

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

ANY QUESTIONS? Question & Answer section

Postby russanros » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Any Questions about any aspect of the event, the ride, the route, how to fill the form in etc etc.

Please post it on here if you feel it will benefit others also.

We will try and answer asap, but bear in mind that we work full time and some of the bits of organising are still at 'work in progress' stage!

But we will try & help wherever possible.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: ANY QUESTIONS? Question & Answer section

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Russ,

With regards prices

russanros wrote:So we hope you will join us in doing something fun whilst at the same time raising money for Macmillan, we are treating the entry fee as a minimum donation, we will encourage people to get themselves sponsored as well, although this is not compulsory. Entry fees are £25 for individuals, £35 for families, with £5 discount for early booking.

Does £35 families cover you for a certain number and can the family be entered over various races? Ie The Dad, son and daughter all enter to cycle round the town in the fun ride whilst we send the mother off round Kintyre in the Ultimate Challenge? (though she doesn't know it!) 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:Hi Russ,

With regards prices

russanros wrote:So we hope you will join us in doing something fun whilst at the same time raising money for Macmillan, we are treating the entry fee as a minimum donation, we will encourage people to get themselves sponsored as well, although this is not compulsory. Entry fees are £25 for individuals, £35 for families, with £5 discount for early booking.

Does £35 families cover you for a certain number and can the family be entered over various races? Ie The Dad, son and daughter all enter to cycle round the town in the fun ride whilst we send the mother off round Kintyre in the Ultimate Challenge? (though she doesn't know it!) 8)

Hiya - Yeah the entry form has a space for putting numbers of people against each individual ride, then a space for total number of entrants, and we are aware families come in a variety of shapes and sizes, we were thinking a maximum of 2 adults and 3 children or other combination upto that. The main reason for a family discount is to avoid 'pricing families out' of it.

We hope that people will be inspired to make a greater donation given the cause, either through getting sponsored or getting family/friends to donate. I already have a couple of donations from people unable to take part in the ride but want to support it!
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bonnie Lass » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:54 am

Can the entry form be put on here for those of us "out of town".
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Bonnie Lass wrote:Can the entry form be put on here for those of us "out of town".

Hi Bonnie Lass,

Yes. Russ sent these on Friday and have now posted these on the http://www.visitkintyre.info site to allow people to download and complete.

PDF version of the 2011 MOKBIKE Entry Form can be found at

http://www.visitkintyre.info/data/mokbi ... ersion.pdf

Word Document Version of the 2011 MOKBIKE Entry Form can be found at

http://www.visitkintyre.info/data/mokbi ... ersion.doc

Sponsor Form for those interested can be found at

http://www.visitkintyre.info/data/mokbi ... 202011.pdf

And finally if anyone can print off a poster and display this anywhere I am sure Russ etc will appreciate this.

http://www.visitkintyre.info/data/mokbi ... ersion.pdf
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jalba » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Russ
I'm intending to take part but have a query about start times. Do all 3 routes start at the same time? I have a couple of friends who might do one of the longer routes but are planning on taking kids on the family route. I know the poster says 8.30 to 11.00 AM but I'm not quite sure about specifics.
jalba
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby russanros » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

jalba wrote:Hi Russ
I'm intending to take part but have a query about start times. Do all 3 routes start at the same time? I have a couple of friends who might do one of the longer routes but are planning on taking kids on the family route. I know the poster says 8.30 to 11.00 AM but I'm not quite sure about specifics.

The idea is to start meeting up at 8.30 in order to start off the Ultimate at 9 then the two challenge rides at 930 (hard) and 10 (easier), then to set off the family ride at eleven. (each set of riders would need to assemble half an hour in advance of their particular route- this will be explained thoroughly in instructions to be sent out as people enter.)

If there was sufficient demand, we could maybe set off a SECOND group of family riders later than this? as riders will be coming back for most of the day, especially slower riders on the longer routes? we could set off the backshift family ride, you only get the food once though :P
If there are alot of riders for any paticular ride we may need to stagger the starts, ie set off in smaller groups at 5 or ten minutely intervals. We cant really determine the extent necessity for this until we know how many entries there are for each route.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:59 pm

A quick clarification of where the funds will be going to, as we have been asked more than once,

Cheques and Postal orders are payable to Macmillan Cancer Support.

All funds raised from this event will be presented to the LOCAL fundraising committee in Kintyre with whom the event is registered.
What happens to the funds after they have been presented to the Local commitee is outwith the events & organisers control, though we are trying to contact the local fundraisers to for an illustration as to just exactly how this money benefits cancer patients locally and nationwide, to present to our participants.

People are raising money for cancer charities country and worldwide and the money benefits patients countrywide in Campbeltown, Scotland, Britain and the world so I dont think we should be too insular about this? - Though we did pick Macmillan because they are well known in Campbeltown.

We previously raised funds for Sue Ryder Homes which is very well known in Northern England and Borders/Eastern Scotland but I dont think they have any hospices in the West Coast. We were keen to work with a charity which was locally recognised.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ultraviolet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 pm

russanros wrote:
jalba wrote:Hi Russ

The idea is to start meeting up at 8.30 in order to start off the Ultimate at 9 then the two challenge rides at 930 (hard) and 10 (easier), then to set off the family ride at eleven. (each set of riders would need to assemble half an hour in advance of their particular route- this will be explained thoroughly in instructions to be sent out as people enter.)

If there was sufficient demand, we could maybe set off a SECOND group of family riders later than this? as riders will be coming back for most of the day, especially slower riders on the longer routes? we could set off the backshift family ride, you only get the food once though :P
If there are alot of riders for any paticular ride we may need to stagger the starts, ie set off in smaller groups at 5 or ten minutely intervals. We cant really determine the extent necessity for this until we know how many entries there are for each route.

Hi Russ, When do you find out what time you are settng off then? Just I'd rather avoid hanging about. Is there changing facilities and toilets at the start and end? Looks great. Well done on getting this up and running.
ultraviolet
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby russanros » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi Russ, When do you find out what time you are settng off then? Just I'd rather avoid hanging about. Is there changing facilities and toilets at the start and end? Looks great. Well done on getting this up and running.

We'll clarify this on the routes page and in the info we send out as people enter:
but basically :
0830 for 0900 set off for the Ultimate
0900 for 0930 set off for the Challenge (harder)
0930 for 1000 set off for the Challenge (easier)
1100 set off on the family ride
- we may be able to have a 'second group' of family riders who do one of the longer rides on their own then join their family for a ride round if there is a demand for this?

- any variations to this would be in the event of there being a 'massive' turnout for any of the rides, in which case we might have a 'staggered start' for example if 100 people sign up for one route, lets use the Ultimate as an example, we might set of a group of riders at 0900, then another at 0905, and another at 0910.

The clock would start at zero at 0830 and some one signed out at 0900 and returning at 1300 would have start time 0:30 finish time 4:30 - total time 4:00 whilst someone starting at 0910 and returning at 1330 would have start time 0:40 finish time 5:00 total time 4:20 and so on.

There will certainly be toilet facilities at the beginning and end and also where possible at check-points.
If you are happy to get changed in the toilets then there is definitely changing facilities, but I will ask Ardshiel if they have any ideas on this as they will know the layout of the place better I seem to remember the toilet areas are quite compact?
- We found at previous events we organised most people simply turned up with their cyclingwear underneath whatever else they were wearing?
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jonathan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Marshaling On The A83

What provision for marshaling, signage etc will there be on the A83 - it's not exactly the quietest or cycle friendly road? Do you have a completion time limit for the Ultimate ride?
Jonathan
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:02 pm

What provision for marshaling, signage etc will there be on the A83 - it's not exactly the quietest or cycle friendly road? Do you have a completion time limit for the Ultimate ride?

Whilst the A83 is probably the busiest road in Kintyre, in the context of the whole UK it is not that busy. :wink:

At the time we are using the section up to kennacraig, (9am Sunday morning) we dont envisage any conflict with other traffic, from observation there will be very little 'heavy' ie lorry traffic and we have timed the set off so it wont interfere with the Glasgow bus which leaves half an hour earlier.

Most of the sections we are using are reasonably straight and good visibility, and give reasonable chances of overtaking, the bit that is bad for cycle/other traffic conflict is between Kennacraig and Tarbert as it is very bendy, undulating and overgrown by trees, but we will not be using that bit.

Marshalling is largely going to be dictated by how many people volunteer. We will need marshalls at Kennacraig (junction B8001) to ensure that all cyclists turn right, we will also have marshalls in the town to assist all routes exiting the town. There will also be a feed/rest station between Tayinloan & Kennacraig,
Where riders turn off or cross other roads we intend to sign that a cycle event is taking place in good distance of that particular junction.

We have cleared all the routes with the local police and the charity risk assessment.

There wont be a time limit for finishing the route, except that it will get dark, we will have sweepers following riders round the various routes and someone who will be able to go retrieve riders and bikes if they cannot continue.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby robreid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Whilst the A83 is probably the busiest road in Kintyre, in the context of the whole UK it is not that busy.

At the time we are using the section up to kennacraig, (9am Sunday morning) we don't envisage any conflict with other traffic, from observation there will be very little 'heavy' ie lorry traffic and we have timed the set off so it wont interfere with the Glasgow bus which leaves half an hour earlier.

In the UK context, it is a very quiet road. And there are seldom any lorries on a Sunday morning.
BUT that's where the trouble lies . . .people routinely expect to drive from Campbeltown to Kennacraig at 80mph or more!
Most of the sections we are using are reasonably straight and good visibility, and give reasonable chances of overtaking,

Again, that can be the reason for a problem - the people driving at 80 expect to overtake the people only doing 70 without a care in the world! And in some places the hedge or fence is only inches from the side of the road, so there's no escape for the poor cyclist.
Best advice is to be clearly visible (especially if rainy) -
Do occupy a full lane (rather than proceeding timidly along the edge),
Do wear a yellow reflective thingi
And advisable to have flashing front and tail lights
robreid
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby russanros » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Best advice is to be clearly visible (especially if rainy) -
Do occupy a full lane (rather than proceeding timidly along the edge),
Do wear a yellow reflective thingi
And advisable to have flashing front and tail lights

I am currently working on the ride info which will go out to each cyclist in which there will be a bit about 'safety first' I think its important to get that message across, though there is a slight risk of insulting the riders intelligence?

In the event of not having a yellow reflective thingy, plain white is just as visible in the daytime at least. We are trying ot negotiate some 'tops' for the event, but it is not yet clear whether this will be succesful or what colour they might be.

-we will also be putting signs out not only for the route but also to alert other road users to the fact that there is a cycle event going on and to be aware of that fact, to be fair in all the time I have been in Kintyre I have found the vast majority of motorists to be courteous to both bikes and horses in a way that they are not in other places.

We will have a vehicle following the slowest riders so cars will need to overtake that before over taking the cyclists, so we will make that vehicle as high profile as possible.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:58 pm

A couple of questions that have come in by email:

I'm really interested in entering this but just wanted to check what the
> format is. Is it a race (i.e. involving group riding, chain gang, etc)
> or more of a sportive-type event where people just ride at their own
> pace, either alone or with friends?

Very much the latter, we aim to provide an event which is fun and can be enjoyed by all abilities, the longer rides are aimed at serious riders but we are offering the shorter ones so there is something for family & friends too. Times will be recorded manually but they are more for information and/or improvement next year than anything.

Highway regulations prevent actual races, usually in this type of event the road must be closed to other users!

Earlybird entry discount

-up until 1st Oct: will include any letter which is postmarked before but is received after, last cutoff for ALL entries is 9th Oct.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge