THE INAUGURAL EVENT. Sun 16.10.11 with feedback and photos

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

THE INAUGURAL EVENT. Sun 16.10.11 with feedback and photos

Postby russanros » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 pm

We are organising a day of bike riding with the help and in aid of ‘Macmillan Cancer Support’ in Campbeltown on Sunday 16th October 2011, the date has already been mentioned in the Courier as a ‘date for your diary’. We hope that this will grow into a yearly event and involve more fundraising activities in future years.

For now it is time for the recruitment for entrants for this inaugural year and entry forms are now available. Locally we will be placing forms at: Aqualibrium, McKellars store in main street, both these outlets are available eves & weekends. Also available by email. If you are reading from a far these can be obtained by searching for the ‘Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge’ threads on the Kintyre Forum or Facebook, and leaving a message with your email for the organisers. The last date for entries will be 9th October 2011, A £5 discount on entry fee is available for those signing up before the end of September.

There is a selection of routes available, so there should be something suitable for everyone, families and beginners are catered for by a gentle ride round the loch on quiet roads between the old shipyard and Kildalloig, but you don’t have to do it all, the minimum requirement is just taking part, so you can do half a mile or nine miles, its up to you.

Recreational and leisure cyclists have the option of two routes: a 24 mile out & back to Southend & Keil point along the B842 looping back through Dalsmirren or the tougher option of the fearsome but scenic Learside road to Southend then sharing the Dalsmirren route back to Stewarton then looping round the Moss Road before heading back to Campbeltown this comes out at around 33 miles, but the terrain is much more of a challenge!

Finally the biggest challenge and one which we hope will catch the attention of seasoned riders in and beyond Kintyre is the ‘Ultimate’ route based on a circuit including the West road as far as Kennacraig then return by the East through Claonaig and Carradale, at around 70 miles and some serious terrain (especially on the way back) it will be interesting to see what the best time is?

So we hope you will join us in doing something fun whilst at the same time raising money for Macmillan, we are treating the entry fee as a minimum donation, we will encourage people to get themselves sponsored as well, although this is not compulsory. Entry fees are £25 for individuals, £35 for families, with £5 discount for early booking.

A Big THANK YOU to the Ardshiel Hotel for being our first sponsor. We have practical support in using the front area as a base for starting off & finishing the rides, and generous provision of HOT & COLD BUFFET at the end of the ride included within the entry fees for participants.

Further details can be obtained from Russell or Ros on 01586 552747 (russandros@gmail.com).
and confirmation of the event from Macmillan Cancer Support (West of Scotland) 0141 952 0085 – Elsie Riley
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: THE INAUGURAL EVENT. Sun October 16th 2011

Postby russanros » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 am

Well we had a fantastic day today. Many thanks to everyone who made it possible, riders, marshalls, sponsors and everyone who had a part in it.

We have had no serious problems, we will be taking on board a few comments about signage, particularly on entering Stewarton from the return leg from Auchencorvie. Its something we will be addressing next time.

The weather and the Ardshiel hotel & staff have been outstanding, we have been very lucky with the weather, but the support from the Ardshiel surpassed all expectations and we are very pleased that they are keen to be involved with the next event(s)

A few email feedbacks from today, the handwritten ones will be displayed also when they are typed up.

I didn't fill in a comment slip today, so I thought I'd send a quick email. My wife, kids and and I had a great time today. Everything was very well organised. The routes were ideal - the hard challenge certainly lived up to its name. The meal in the Ardshiel was superb. I had expected a small, cold buffet!

The atmosphere was superb and everyone I spoke to felt the day was a great success. Thank you for all the hard work.

Some wee suggestions... the signs towards the end could have perhaps have been a little larger and clearer, particularly for those not from Campbeltown. In publicity, I would make it clear what a fantastic meal is provided.

Anyway, thanks again. I hope you both had a chance to enjoy the day.

Congratulations on a successful and superb event! My family enjoyed it tremendously – the weather helped! It was well organised and a great atmosphere. Thank you for all your help and wishing you all the best with future events.

You can count us in for next year.

Thanks folks and most of all its the taking part that matters, so thank you all! :)
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am

Here are a couple of photos.
Just about to start off - beautiful weather for it.

Taken at Kildalloig Bay turning point.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby russanros » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks for emailing those photos also, We've got them online (with pics from myself and a few others) on the facebook group too (see http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.305885092761182&type=1)

If any one else wants to send their pics in please do so via the contact us page on the http://www.mokbike.com site, it would be nice to get them all in one place in a gallery section of the website as time allows.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Here are a few more feedbacks, removed names where possible!

Comment:

Great time on track. Great fun. Love food. By [snip] (11)

Comment:

Great day. Good food. Do it again next year. By [snip]
Comment:

I really enjoy cycling the 10 miles. By [snip] (7)

Comment:

Well organised and good hotel facilities – could improve route signposting around Southend area.

Comment:

I did like the bike ride, it was very fun and I liked all the different people that were there. By [snip] (age 5)

Comment:

Cut out hills?!!!

Comment:

Good event – maybe an off road section or route for MTB’s only next year? Great marshalling etc.

Comment:

Excellent day – just make sure all the hills are down next time . Ardshiel did you proud.

Comments:

Great day. Hope its on next year. Bigger signs for route and less hills please!!

Comment:

Great first event, got me back on the bike again. Bigger contestant numbers on cyclists backs.

Comment:

Lovely route – and you got the weather that made it . look forward to next year event.
Comment:

Well done on a very good inaugural event. Thoroughly enjoyed it, well thought out route and nice to have a rest stop and banana!! Hope you have found it to be a success and that its well supported next year.

And the last one from the Mid-Argyll Tri & Cycle club who I am sure wont mind as we specifically asked them to provide advice on what we could improve on:

33 hard good course – needs signed at Stewarton non locals – a couple of people turned right back into town. Plenty of Hi Viz signs. Great hospitality at Ardshiel. Applications on entry central. People enter but don’t always turn up – but they pay up front. Consider earlier in year. More people would travel, make it part of the holiday. Good on you all for organising this event.

There were signs at Stewarton but they were obviously not visible enough, the whole sign thing will be better next time, we will drop the branding on the sign and just have a block arrow on bright background- there is plenty Mokbike and Macmillan branding on other stuff, the signs just need to serve their purpose effectively.

the first weekend of October a week after the Lochgilphead event, people would still be fit and not have wound down too much? - its in school term, we found a fair few people wanted to take part but were away, or were willing to help with organisational stuff, but were away. I tend to think there is too much other stuff on in the 'proper' summer, and people are often on holiday, this time of year keeps it clear of other events and the Ardshiel's 'peak' season??
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby TB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Russ & Ros,

You should give yourselves a huge pat on the back for organising such a great event. I did the 33miler and although the signs at Stewarton didn't stand out, being an ex local, and from the info on 'map my ride' on the web site I knew exactly where I was going.
As a member of the Mid Argyll Club I can honestly say no matter what time of year you hold it you will always have support from Mid Argyll ( we never wind down up here!! we are always looking towards the next event :lol: )

It's ' your' event so you choose a date to suit you. I know what you are saying about avoiding school holidays but you will never be able to please everyone.

The scenery was just breathtaking in the sunshine (biased, I know, but true). I had just forgotten how many bl**** (bloomin) hills there were :shock: :lol:

Roll on next year!

Regards,

Tina B
TB
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby russanros » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:39 pm

As a member of the Mid Argyll Club I can honestly say no matter what time of year you hold it you will always have support from Mid Argyll ( we never wind down up here!! we are always looking towards the next event )

It's ' your' event so you choose a date to suit you. I know what you are saying about avoiding school holidays but you will never be able to please everyone.

The scenery was just breathtaking in the sunshine (biased, I know, but true). I had just forgotten how many bl**** (bloomin) hills there were

Cheers Tina, and thanks to the other cyclists from Mid Argyll- though I am sure it was one of you that said people were thinking of winding down by this time of year! :wink: :lol:

My daughter had just done her cycling proficiency at the start of Oct, so we are thinking that might be a good angle to go for getting more families involved, that and the Argyll 14:10 thing I think keeps us with October for the time being, maybe earlier in the month out of the hols though, there were a significant number of people who would have come except for being away, and some who helped who were away the preceeding week, which made things a little more difficult.

Anyway thanks for coming and taking part and glad you enjoyed it! -still cant believe how lucky we were with the weather, divine intervention?!! :lol:
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 pm

PS - hopefully get the times sorted out & typed up & posted (somewhere) tomorrow, all being well!
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Inaugural MOKBIKE event hailed as a success! With photos

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Apologies for delay in posting this, rather hectic week and meant to get the post write up and photos on from Sunday since last Sunday. Firstly, we'd like to extend out thanks for Russ and Ros Wilkes for organising this event and to the many helpers who ensured the event went ahead. Feedback on the day and since has been very positive and everyone, including those who entered are to be congratulated on making the day a success. The Ardhiel Hotel, who sponsored the event, should also be highlighed for the wonderful post challenge hot and cold buffet then laid on - was superb! Well done to everyone again and here's to 2012! Great to think this was another idea for an event that was posted here at http://www.kintyreforum.com :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Photos are mainly of the Family Ride.

Inaugural MOKBIKE event hailed as a success!

After a week or more of dreich weather we really did start to wonder if holding the bike ride in October was the right thing, having visions of nobody turning out given the seemingly never ending rain and wind. The forecast was promising for Sunday, but did we believe it?

The weather could make or break the day and along with the hospitality from the Ardshiel hotel the day was made fantastic, with less wind and brilliant sunshine!

With a very respectable 83 participants and just enough marshals and helpers we had a safe and enjoyable event. Many people have complimented the atmosphere and quality of the venue and buffet meal afterwards, the usual fayre was enhanced considerably with tasty pasta, and chicken curry and chilli con carne with rice and plenty of it, just the thing after a long ride.

We also had a post ride auction of donated items including a T shirt signed by stunt cyclist Danny Mckaskill, a bottle of uniquely labelled commemorative whisky from Cadenhead’s Whisky shop, A ‘mystery’ bag from the Treehouse and a Tesco voucher. This along with a number of one-off donations and sponsorship money still to come in should see our fundraising well into a four figure sum.

We would like to thank the Ardshiel staff for their support of the event, as well as the Courier and http://www.kintyreforum.com A number of people and organisations have also donated food/water and ‘benefits in kind’ for the event you will find these mentioned on the supporters section of the http://www.mokbike.com website soon.

Thanks to all the people who marshalled and participated in the event, it is the taking part that really counts. In addition to the pictures here you can visit our facebook group also look out for a new gallery coming on to the website shortly.

We hope to have a date for next year within a couple of months, to allow plenty time to attract more people from outside the area, of this years turnout around half were from within Campbeltown, with the majority of the rest being from Kintyre or Mid-Argyll. There were also 7 ‘long-distance’ entries from Glasgow, Ayrshire & Yorkshire all of whom had existing connections with the town. We hope to grow the event by bringing in more people from further afield as well as encouraging more local people to join in.

We will keep this years participants on file and contact them with the 2012 ‘date for your diary’ as soon at is fixed, we hope you will come for a ride with us again next year and bring your friends!

Last edited by Kintyre Forum News on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Inaugural MOKBIKE event hailed success! With photos

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Some more

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Inaugural MOKBIKE event hailed success! With photos

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Some more with some of the cyclists who complete the two main routes.

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Inaugural MOKBIKE event hailed as a success! With photos

Postby numberplease » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for the brilliant photos and report. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their rides, and even though I`m not local, I recognise one couple. Well done everybody.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 pm

also http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12790

-many thanks to all who made this event possible, we have been largely returning borrowed stuff this week, but hope to upload times and more photos this weekend, lets make this the 'main' thread? :)
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:19 pm

russanros wrote:lets make this the 'main' thread? :)

Apologies, I forgot about the original thread in the MOKBIKE forums but have now merged this and changed the heading a little bit to highlight the photos are here. Well done again :mrgreen:

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: THE INAUGURAL EVENT. Sun 16.10.11 with feedback and photos

Postby russanros » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Apologies, I forgot about the original thread in the MOKBIKE forums but have now merged this and changed the heading a little bit to highlight the photos are here.
oh no worries, as long as they are all linked together should be fine, speaking of which if you have facebook there are a few more photos of the other rides/riders here http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/256310247718667/

Hopefully get them all in the same place eventually and do a CD with all the pictures for anyone who wants one, but it may take a bit of time! :wink:
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge