Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011-Success! Thankyou

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 2011, date set for OCT 16th

Postby Campbell A » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Russanros,

I read your post when you first muted the idea of a cycling event and thought it was a really good idea which was well recieved by other forum users.

While out on the bike yesterday I got talking to a couple of guys and the event cropped which prompted me to check how things were progressing. To cut a long story short it wasn't all that easy to find the topic here. I noticed that you were offered the opportunity to have a dedicated Forum for your event which you haven't acknowledged or responded to.

I think it is something you should make use of as it would make your event stand out on the forum, allow people to locate info much easier and allow competitors and interested others to discuss any relevant topics within a "private" forum.

Anyhoo, having said all that I wish you all the best with this event, you have chosen the perfect arena for it.

Cheers
Campbell A
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 2011, date set for OCT 16th

Postby russanros » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 pm

While out on the bike yesterday I got talking to a couple of guys and the event cropped which prompted me to check how things were progressing. To cut a long story short it wasn't all that easy to find the topic here. I noticed that you were offered the opportunity to have a dedicated Forum for your event which you haven't acknowledged or responded to.

I think it is something you should make use of as it would make your event stand out on the forum, allow people to locate info much easier and allow competitors and interested others to discuss any relevant topics within a "private" forum.

I was just about to post an update when found this :wink:

- It will come, I am very greatful for all the support that has come from this forum, it has proved that an event would be worth doing, and I already have a small email list of members who are waiting to be contacted with entry forms, before any serious publicity has been started.

Before it can fully 'go public' as an event there are a number of things which need to finalised, I have submitted the event formally in writing now to Macmillan, and clarified with them how they wish the monies to be handled. This is being addressed at the moment, we are instigating a bank account for the event which will then enable entry forms to be released.

The entry information is most important to get right first time, as it will be what most interested parties will need to do first and giving out wrong information as it would cause inconveninece later and look unprofessional.

Having said that given the visibility issue I think the time is right to get the event more prominently on the forum and also the internet as a whole, I shall PM the forum regarding this and also implement some suggestions re social network sites that were in the fundraising pack. The organising is giving me new challanges as with the events in Yorkshire I'd say 75% of the admin was handled by the charity itself, I think I need to show them more appreciation for that next time I'm back! :wink:

Please keep the PM's coming if you want to be emailed the entry info & form when available.
- will be away from email this Sat- next Sat but hope to have the forms ready shortly after this.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge OCT 16th - UPDATE

Postby russanros » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm

We are back from holiday's now, sorry for slow replies to PM's sent to go on 'mailing list'. They are being answered now.

In addition to entering the ride in the Kintyre Forum events list it will now also be visible on cycling forum sites such as Bike Radar, given we have organised the date to coincide with Glasgow Holidays just also sending an email to Go Biking which is a Strathclyde cycle site to see if they will give it a mention.

One thing which has come out of discussions with macmillan is that we *probably* will need public liability insurance and have been contacting various firms to try get a cost for this as it will get us a figure for a minimum number of entrants which have to be reached to get a break-even and start raising money for the cause. This is a thing we did not previously have as the hospice took the event under its wing and we could use their liability cover. I'm really just waiting now for confimation from the Charity & Insurance people now, before putting the entry info out.

With this in mind we have started approaching people to try get involved with the event as sponsors who will provide things goods and services in return for free publicity.

I am sorry it is taking so long to see things actually happening, but we have to make sure things are done properly and professionally as we wouldn't want anyone involved either in helping out or participating in the event to come to any harm physically or financially if the worse came.

I am working on the entry form now and will hopefully have it ready, will be in word format for filling in on your computer, or PDF to print and return by post, anyone have a shop and be willing to hold a few copies for people to pick up??
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011, Update

Postby russanros » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Right as we have dropped well down from the top again its time for a quick update.

Still to hear back from the registration form sent to Macmillan in Glasgow, so I'm going to email them now and ring them tomorrow, as we really need to be starting with recruiting riders and marshalls in a bigger way now! I appreciate its been peak holiday period but we really need to get things moving now. At least having a day off in the week this week should help in getting things chased up.

Good news is that we provisionally have a venue for an after-ride food at no extra cost to the entry fee and they seem keen to help us with publicity - more on this after we have met to discuss things further.

Thanks to the people who have added their interest to the 'email mailing list' (pm with email if you wish to be added)
- also thanks to chats I now have a bit better idea of people to approach in the town to hold entry forms for people to collect locally.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011 (SEPT Update)

Postby russanros » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:13 pm

I have been speaking to the Macmillan fundraising manager in Glasgow today and believe we now have the technicalities (insurance, money handling etc etc.) in order. The event is to be registered as Macmillan event and up to 500 riders can be catered for by their insurance, cheques/postal orders will go directly to them and therefore need to be made payable to 'MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT' - they will also advertise on their website and send event details out to the 'events listing' contacts they have. I am to type up info to goto the local papers both here and in Glasgow, which if you remember going back to the 'date fixing' this is also relevant to people in Glasgow.

The entry form is therefore finalised and I will be getting these printed/photocopied hopefully tomorrow. I am hopefully getting a email of the sponsor form to be sent and I will send out an email version of the entry form and a sponsor form as soon as this arrives. I am going to at the very minimum approach Aqualibrium and the tourist office to hold entry forms, and will advise you of when this takes place.

We are also working on posters to advertise the event, which will be printed by Macmillan then mailed to us to distribute hopefully next week.

A forum section has been requested and I am assured is to appear soon, so watch out for this in the forthcoming week. This post will go into both news and event section for now but I have asked 'kintyre forum news' to combine these as suits best in the new section?
If you want to go onto the email list please send a pm and you can still be added.

Thanks for support so far, and hoping that entries live upto the support so far, Cheers

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/groups/256310247718667/
PS Facebook group for ride also started! see link above
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:41 pm

We have successfully left entry forms at The Aqualibrium earlier this evening, so you should be able to pick one up there as well as by email, Thanks Greg for your help.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/256310247718667/ facebook link, please share if you are able, thankyou! :wink:
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:52 pm

viewforum.php?f=67
We have moved! Please come see our new & shiny bit of the forum, Many thanks to the Kintyre Forum.

The existing threads will be retained for now, in case people have bookmarked them.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby KF Administrator » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 pm

I have moved this in here as anyone who has bookmarked this page will come to here regardless of the thread being moved. (I have also left a shadow of the move in the Local News)

Feel it's better to have the main thread on this exciting new event in the main event forum for others to read. Good luck. 8)
KF Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011-Success! Thankyou

Postby russanros » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks to everyone today for making the first MOKbike event a success, whether you were riding your bike or helping out, what a lovely day and what lovely food at the Ardshiel- A great day all round! Cheers.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge