Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011-Success! Thankyou

Details and discussion on the MOKBIKE 2015 to be held here in Kintyre on Saturday September 19th 2015 and Sunday September 20th 2015.

Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge 16 OCT 2011-Success! Thankyou

Postby russanros » Sun May 29, 2011 1:42 am

Looking for a show of interest in the first instance:

as instigated & help organised a few similar in Yorkshire before we moved here. (http://www.suerydercare.org/events.php/ ... _challenge)
which was very successful., here's the plan.

MOK ULTIMATE ROUTE :
to the Mull itself from Campbeltown , out via Killdalloig and the coast road & back by Dalsmerran

MOK CHALLENGE ROUTE: main road to Southend and Keil car park, back via war memorial.

MAC ROUTE:
main road to Machrihanish and back

FAMILY ROUTE :similar to 10k run route, mainly traffic free .

£10 entrance fee for an individual and £20 for a family- the proceeds of which would provide a certificate & medal , whilst the rest would go to Mcmillan Cancer Care.

Would be looking at a date probably September/October - if we could get 100+ riders I would look to getting a bigger event , ie food/ ceilidh etc year after

the idea would be to sign the routes (colour coded) and strategic use of marshalls at common points.

-please post any thoughts on this and my thoughts that Campbeltown should have a cycling event to match the Mokrun?
particularly if they are offers of help?

prepared to put the donkey work into this, if folks are willing?
Last edited by russanros on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge - Cycling Event

Postby EileenH » Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 am

I think it's a good idea. I haven't been out on my bike this year so wouldn't take part til maybe next year. Hope you get the numbers.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby argylltourist » Sun May 29, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm not a cyclist but sounds like it could be great fun...count me in as a volunteer etc.if needs be.
argylltourist
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

I think this would go down a treat, for all the right reasons that you already mentioned as a start off point. A good few runners I am sure will support you on this one and a lot others too.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sun May 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Count me in for this one, I think it's a great idea.

The old legs wouldn't take the Learside to the Mull and back by Dalsmirren, but could do the Southend route. I think!!!!

Hope you get a good response from Kintyre for this, and that it goes ahead.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Bonnie Lass » Sun May 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Did the "Family Trail" at Longleat a few years back, alas not around the park which would have been flatter, but up and down country lanes (walked a fair bit) but was good fun, didn't think it suitable for little ones, need to bear in mind ages of children taking park in a family trail.

Atmosphere was great, marshalling was good, got a t-shirt & certificate to show to colleagues the next day. Logo on t-shirt was "I rode on the wild side" with Longleat Maze logo on the front - my pride and joy :lol:

How about Sept weekend when more folk are around from Glasgow etc.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun May 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Brilliant idea Russanros! Counts us (the Kintyre Forum) in for helping promote this and to try and get it going.

As you may know, the idea of the MOKRUN started as a post on this Forum six years ago and you only have to look at today to see how far it has come! We certainly would love to help out in anyway we can! 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby russanros » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Cheers folks,

I took part in the Mokrun today and even tho' it was my first 10k - or even run - and I hadn't really trained for it I really enjoyed myself.

The key to this idea would be to (as in the Bronte Bike Challenge) start small and try to build up. 100 ish riders in the first year and hopefully adding a hundred more each consecutive year was the way the Bronte Challenge built up.

I think in the first instance an informal meeting with people interested in helping forming a group to administrate & operate the event, and set date, other people will know better as to what other events might complement or clash with such an event. Likewise I merely suggested MacMillan cos I've seen their stuff round here, we would need a charity that would be able to provide support with advertising, promotional materials and means of processing cheques and card-paying entries in a way which Sue Ryder Care did in Yorkshire.

Cheers @ Kintyre forum in particular for the offer of practical support and Argyll support, I dont have any late finishes this coming week except Wed perhaps if you are available for a chat other nights could PM?
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Sun May 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Bonnie Lass wrote:Did the "Family Trail" at Longleat a few years back, alas not around the park which would have been flatter, but up and down country lanes (walked a fair bit) but was good fun, didn't think it suitable for little ones, need to bear in mind ages of children taking park in a family trail.

Atmosphere was great, marshalling was good, got a t-shirt & certificate to show to colleagues the next day. Logo on t-shirt was "I rode on the wild side" with Longleat Maze logo on the front - my pride and joy :lol:

How about Sept weekend when more folk are around from Glasgow etc.

Family trail,

my idea would be a simple ride round the loch - not taking in the Longrow or Dalintober, then go down to Kildalloig which would all be on quiet roads and relatively flat. If we made the checkpoints at Kilkerran it would be upto the respective families how far they went down the road, we'd just check them out and back again and give them a medal anyway there would be no pressure to get right to Kildalloig?

Sept weekend: please expand I have only been in the toon for 14 months! :wink:
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby russanros » Mon May 30, 2011 12:19 am

Pete Reek wrote:Count me in for this one, I think it's a great idea.

The old legs wouldn't take the Learside to the Mull and back by Dalsmirren, but could do the Southend route. I think!!!!

Hope you get a good response from Kintyre for this, and that it goes ahead.

Could you do the mull by the main road I think we need to see whether the intermediate route has to be a bit longer?
- I'm thinking the 'roadies' won't think its far enough?
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am

See below.
Last edited by Bonnie Lass on Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon May 30, 2011 11:27 am

Bonnie Lass wrote:How about Sept weekend when more folk are around from Glasgow etc.

Family trail,
my idea would be a simple ride round the loch - not taking in the Longrow or Dalintober, then go down to Kildalloig which would all be on quiet roads and relatively flat. If we made the checkpoints at Kilkerran it would be upto the respective families how far they went down the road, we'd just check them out and back again and give them a medal anyway there would be no pressure to get right to Kildalloig?

Family Trail sounds good to me - those that are not used the cycling would appreciate a level course.

russanros wrote:Sept weekend: please expand I have only been in the toon for 14 months! :wink:

September Weekend - when Glasgow have their Autumn Holiday - always the last weekend in September. Schools are closed Friday 23rd Sept and Monday 26th September 2011. Lots of people in the area from Glasgow over those dates.
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby russanros » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm

September Weekend - when Glasgow have their Autumn Holiday - always the last weekend in September. Schools are closed Friday 23rd Sept and Monday 26th September 2011. Lots of people in the area from Glasgow over those dates.

Thankyou :) , - so would Sun 24th be good then? -gives plenty time to get set up. The sunday better than the saturday, as less chance of people working?
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Isa » Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 pm

I suppose it depends on numbers but if you are going to follow the same route and turning areas as the runners that would mean bicycles on both sides of roads with no pavements in a built up area where there are some sharp corners. Would you need to be be looking for the roads to be closed?

A good route would be out the west road and round the moss. No need for turning points and a good flat run in most places.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby francii » Mon May 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes I'd be up for that! Have to do some training first and possibly replace my bike! Sounds like a great idea though!
francii
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Bike Challenge