Campbeltown Running Club

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Campbeltown Running Club

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:01 am

It seems to me that there are so many willing competitors out there, who would love to have a stab at a Marathon. I have read DJDs threads that because of the fact that we have no affiliated running/athletic club, we miss out on potentially allocated places at London. Is it possible that there could be a Running Club formed in this wee toon. Anyone have any thoughts?
Last edited by Rabmacd on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Running Club

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:57 am

The MoK Run committee have a good idea :wink:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 am

Rabmacd and Tom B,what ever direction a running club gets to be formed,has to be better than not having one now or never having one.

l for one hope you put this together and every runner backs you at the start. A running club in my eyes would have great potential for getting everyone under one roof for the social side and at the same time still having the running groups that have already been established working within the club as part of the base for runners to start at a level they feel comfortable with,as do many clubs manage already.

So l would say to all runners to give them your support and look to the potential of having one now and most important the future.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 pm

I think a running club in kintyre is a great idea as there are so many runners!

Jog Scotland and WTR are great examples, could they not be classed as a running club and be used to get more competitors into races?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks Elaine,

that is exactly what I was getting at. It seems to me that affiliation is the way forward. The means are there.....
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm

elainemck wrote:I think a running club in kintyre is a great idea as there are so many runners!

Jog Scotland and WTR are great examples, could they not be classed as a running club and be used to get more competitors into races?

A running club would be great to have in Kintyre and for those who are interested in starting one I am sure you will get the backing of all runners .

Unfortunately under Jog Scotland rules and regulations 'we '( Jog Scotland Wee Toon Runners ) cannot be affiliated as a
' running club ' as we go under the Jog Scotland umberella . A running club would need a seperate committee, constitution , insurance etc . At present all of our Jog Leaders volunteers feel they have enough to do (believe me ) within our own committee without starting another committee but would welcome and support anyone who wishes to start a running club in Campbeltown . Its good fun but alot of work behind the scenes .

For those interested in starting a club you can call John Scottish Althetics on 0131 -539 7320 who would point you in the right direction of what is required .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm

I think this is a really good idea, not just for the present runner's in the town, but the future one's also, there is a lot of good talent out there, just waiting to be unleashed, this may well be the break they need.
I would be willing to put my name forward to help in anyway I can, committee or otherwise, but I feel someone with a greater knowledge like DJD, Rab,or similar, should be top gun.
Anyway, if someone wants to get this off the ground, I will help in anyway possible.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

An affiliated club member comes under the roof of the Scottish Athletics and so does the gold members of JS which in turn gives you the same benifits,so really its swings and roundabouts.

There is no rule saying you cannot work in harmony as a family of a Campbeltown club as a whole.Do you really think the people above that run these associations have you as a community in their hearts,you would be in cloud cuckoo if you think they do,so why not go for it.

Anyway,thanks Ninja,but their are far better up standing people in the community that would be able to forward this and get it together for the future and as you already said," Rabmacd as one", and there a few others that l would vote in on what l have learned over the years.

Its good for people to have their say whether its a liking to some or not.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Whoooaahhh!! and had yer jets, folks.

Can I clarify here. I'm not looking to stand on any toes. I'm not even looking to piss some folk off!! Or get feking volunteered, for observation. It just seems to me that there are some runners, not joggers, out there who would love a crack at a serious event---London, Berlin, New York, Boston.......

Currently, it's a lottery with the application system---I did it two years ago for London, £32 quid down--"we'll let you know in 6 months----sorry not accepted"

Mixed feelings for me, but if there was some kind of official club in this town, with a bit of paper that looked like a constitution, that could be waved at AAF then that may get official places. I ain't saying who competes in these events, but, surely, the chance of three/four places for triers in the town is worth considering.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:01 am

DJD wrote:An affiliated club member comes under the roof of the Scottish Athletics and so does the gold members of JS which in turn gives you the same benifits,so really its swings and roundabouts.

DJD, this is true , but only for gold members like you stated , however most if not all our members are bronze members as its free and do not have the added benefits that comes with gold membership. In fact I called JS today to ask what the position was of us establishing a running club under JS to be told that we would need another committee and have a constitution etc . and was advised to call Scottish Athletics for more info .

It seems the pressure is on for JS WeeToon Runners to get this off the ground , even if it is to form a committee within a committee, it all takes time and organisation , but like I mentioned earlier us volunteers have enough within our own organisation/other committments etc to contend with however JS would support and work in harmony with any new running club. Like NInja said....

Ninja Mania wrote:I think this is a really good idea, not just for the present runner's in the town, but the future one's also, there is a lot of good talent out there, just waiting to be unleashed, this may well be the break they need.
I would be willing to put my name forward to help in anyway I can, committee or otherwise, but I feel someone with a greater knowledge like DJD, Rab,or similar, should be top gun.
Anyway, if someone wants to get this off the ground, I will help in anyway possible.

As experienced runners DJD, Rab you will bring a wealth of experience to coach a running club so go for it , you will have the backing of all us runners just like the handicap series , you just needs someone to get it going . :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 am

Rabmacd wrote:Whoooaahhh!! and had yer jets, folks.

Can I clarify here. I'm not looking to stand on any toes. I'm not even looking to piss some folk off!! Or get feking volunteered, for observation. It just seems to me that there are some runners, not joggers, out there who would love a crack at a serious event---London, Berlin, New York, Boston.......

Currently, it's a lottery with the application system---I did it two years ago for London, £32 quid down--"we'll let you know in 6 months----sorry not accepted"

Mixed feelings for me, but if there was some kind of official club in this town, with a bit of paper that looked like a constitution, that could be waved at AAF then that may get official places. I ain't saying who competes in these events, but, surely, the chance of three/four places for triers in the town is worth considering.

Phew !!! Sorry Rab ...must have been writing my post when you posted this so never read it til after i posted. . You nearly got volunteered just for observing .... :wink:

Can understand where you are coming from regards to having an running club just to get official places in events like London , New York etc but you have to have some sort of organised committee behind it all .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:07 pm

It was a fecking good observation Rabmacd,(lol).

Pans lass,yes its true that things do take time to organise etc,etc and things do need a great deal of thought and discussion befor they ever get of the ground for them to succeed and you have voiced your opinion well.

It would be even better if a lot more people voiced their opinion on this than the few that have,even if nothing comes of this,at least everyone knows each others reason why a running club can or cannot be esatablished.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi All

Its nice to see everybody trying to organise a running club in the town again, If i can be as bold as to suggest that someone talks to Martin Grady, Martin was the Secretary when we had Kintyre A.C years ago, he might still have some paperwork that you could adapt to suit ur constitution, or at least point you in a direction that you may want to go in for information on the benefits of a running club.

As a member of the Scottish AAA you will be entitled to a reduced entry fee into a lot of races for club members, you will be covered under their insurance while running in organised races and if im correct you will be offered reduced rate insurance for races that you are organising, you will also be given access to their coaching system and in turn will be entitled to apply for grants to cover costs of attending these courses

As a member of the Scottish AAA you will be entitled to 2 alloted places for the London Marathon, this is the way that my running partner and I gained entry into London in 1998, Kintyre A.C was allocated 2 entries, this is also the way that I gained entry in 2008 while running for Tipton Harriers. It does not make any difference as to the size of the club as to how many places you get, they are limited to 2 places , most clubs run a ballot system for the alloted places, they encourage you to enter on your own and those that fail to get entry that way have their names put in a hat to be drawn for the alloted entry, if I remember correctly, those that get an alloted place still have to pay for the entry unless the club is prepared to cover the cost of the entry so in theory, entry into London that way could cost you as much as £70.00 if you bequief your original entry fee.

I am not aware of membership to the Scottish AAA allowing you entitlement to any alloted entries into any international events, this would need to be done by one of 3 ways:-

1, entry throught the ballot
2, entry through a charity place and collecting an alloted amount of money
3, entry through a sports tour operator, follow the links below for details

http://www.209events.com/

2.09 events is operated by former London Marathon winner and elite runner Mike Gratton, it was previously called Mike Gratton Sports Tours and has operated for a long number of years, I can remember them being around as far back as 14 years ago.

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/running

Sports Tours International have been around as far back as 1992 and I can vouche for them myself having used them 10 years ago for a major international sporting event

I will be frank and tell you that a sports tour operator is not a cheap option, but it is an option that a lot of runners travelling abroad choose to take, everything is organised for you, it also means that you do not have the bother of having to collect an alloted amount of money for a charity. A charity place usually means that you have to collect a minimum of £1,000.00 and then pay for all ur travel and accomodation on top of that which can take ur expenditure well above what you would need to pay a tour operator for an entry, travel and accomodation

hope this information is of use to you

weetoonplodder
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 am

Weetoonplodder,

great post. :D :D :D

Thanks for the useful info.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 am

Weetoon plodder,

you should move back and be Race Secretary,having the time and patience to explain everything to folks or even coax Martin out of retirement.

maybe one day a club will make a comeback with the the enthusiasm as you people of old had and which l keep hearing from people.

Hows your running going??
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat