Lochgilphead 10k - Anthony Nolan Weekend

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Lochgilphead 10k - Anthony Nolan Weekend

Postby madscotsbloke » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Just wondered if anyone was making the short trip "up the loch" for this one on the 2nd May?

Gav
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Lochgilphead 10k - Anthony Nolan Weekend

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Gavin, some off us will be doing the KWR the day before, followed by a wee bite and a dram after it. We intend to be up at it, but it depends on the after race party whether we will be fit enough or not. :lol:
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I received info this evening that this event has now been cancelled....... lack of interest. :( :( Due to the other local events KWR and the Oban Hospital ABCD 10k both on that weekend and plus the fact that a lot of runners just expect to enter on the day which doesn't really help those trying to organise a race as they don't get an idea of numbers. :cry:

Don't think I'm fit enough for the KWR so might have to stick with the ABCD instead, I just don't like pulpit hill :? in fact I don't like any hills :lol:
TB
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby madscotsbloke » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks TB, its nice to know that at least someone has got their finger on the pulse. That's a bit of a downer as was really quite looking forward to it after surviving the time trial the other week!! :cry:
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby madscotsbloke » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:33 am

S'pose the next question is........... anyone up for the Oban ABCD run then? :D

If there are a few from Lochgilphead, I will perhaps see you there

Gav
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby madscotsbloke » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 am

Well..............

made the decision about half way round Machrihanish Golf Course in saturday's Am-Am that if I was going to succeed in anything Sports related this weekend I'd need to steer a course away from numerous Pints in the club house and head for Oban to do the ABCD 10k on Sunday!!

Arrived in Oban early to register, met a few of the guys from Mid Argyll there, Richard, Matt, Kirsty, Tina etc.

I had heard some horror stories about the climb up Pulpit Hill, so was lulled into a false sense of security when I was told we didn't go up Pulpit hill, but around it!! Little did I know that he meant the road called Pulpit hill!! The hill was still in there at about 6km in!!!! I know this may sound a little warped but I actually enjoy running up hills, whether its because it gets me up on my toes or simply because its a genuinely good reason for dropping your pace down to 10 minute KM's!!!! :lol:

Managed to maintain my position from the start and only lost 2 spots, both within the first 4 km, and then settled down to a fairly lonely remaining 6km. I did momentarily catch one runner on the hill who was making some really disturbing noises, I on the other hand was too tired to make any noise :oops:

The lovely ladies at the water station half way up the hill tried to tempt me into a small refreshment but I knew that if I stopped or walked there, I would never have got the legs going again!! Once over the top of the hill it was mostly down hill where those of you who have seen me will realise that Gravity begins to become my friend again!!

Back down the hill and can start to hear the cheers at the finish which seemed to spur me on, another quick check of the watch certainly does!! through 9km in 43.30!! I'm in uncharted territory here and not too sure whether I will have anything left for the finish. Round the corner onto the home straight and everyone encouraging me to give it one last push, which I did and crossed the line in 47.42, a massive 4 minutes inside my previous PB!! But, and there is always a but, the course was slightly shy of the full 10km. After a quick discussion with the other guys we reckoned another 1.30 to 2 minutes would have seen the distance in, so it is still PB pace for me.

Chuffed doesn't quite cover it, and, more importantly, the body seems to have handled it a wee bit better than my last run out. There's life in the old dog yet!! :wink:

Looking forward to the Wee toon series even more now :)

MSB
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon May 03, 2010 11:56 am

Well done Gav, and a good we story to read to the grand wains when your older. Great time too, especially with that wee hill on route.
See you at Lusa on the 11th then, well done again.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Well done MSB - cracking time!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Great race report MSB and fantastic time ...I remember that small incline at the end well , its a killer , it makes you realise the importance of hill training . :wink:

See you on the 11th :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat