Crinan Puffer 8.5 - Sunday 16th May 2010

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Crinan Puffer 8.5 - Sunday 16th May 2010

Postby TB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Just when you thought it was safe.................... another date for your diary! :shock: :shock:
Thought some of you may be interested in the 8.5 mile flat run along the tow-path of the Crinan canal, (Pier Square, Ardrishaig to Crinan) as a wee warm up for the MOK run. No need to worry about transport back to the start, that will be available on the day. (10am start)
I'm heading down tomorrow and will be asking the pool and Intersport to display the poster. We (MATCC) are hoping to have the link for downloading application forms up and running by the weekend, but I might print some off to take down in the meantime.
Come on, you know you want to! :wink: :wink:
TB
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Crinan Puffer 8.5 - Sunday 16th May 2010

Postby Tom B » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 pm

TB wrote:Just when you thought it was safe.................... another date for your diary! :shock: :shock:
Thought some of you may be interested in the 8.5 mile flat run along the tow-path of the Crinan canal, (Pier Square, Ardrishaig to Crinan) as a wee warm up for the MOK run. No need to worry about transport back to the start, that will be available on the day. (10am start)
I'm heading down tomorrow and will be asking the pool and Intersport to display the poster. We (MATCC) are hoping to have the link for downloading application forms up and running by the weekend, but I might print some off to take down in the meantime.
Come on, you know you want to! :wink: :wink:

cracking name for an 8.5 mile run!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rabidcabbage » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 am

Tom,
We locked three people away for a fortnight, a think tank to come up with the name. Location, history and distance, puffers used to frequently transport goods along the canal, I believe to avoid the pirates down at the Mull of Kintyre!

The event is being organised by Mid Argyll Triathlon Club, promoted by Mid Argyll Athletics and sponsored by British Waterways. As some of you know our community pool has been struggling financially. The Club hope to raise some money for the pool.

Only 100 entries are available this year, as directed by British Waterways. If anyone is interested please enter quickly. The link for applications should be available very soon so please be patient.

The run is from Pier Square, Ardrishaig. Small sections of the route can't avoid running on or crossing public roads. The route is mainly flat (very, very gradual inclines and down slopes). Very scenic route.

No walkers due to the limited number of places available.
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am

To run the Canal is well worth the effort as it would make a lovely training or a good workout towards the lead up to the Mok and as it's already been said " beautiful scenery along the way".

In my billynomates days in Tarbert l have ran it twice a perfect run for marathon training ,there and back,you can clock up 18 miles starting from the loch up to the hotel and back.

Ideal for you Scott.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:27 pm

DJD wrote:To run the Canal is well worth the effort as it would make a lovely training or a good workout towards the lead up to the Mok and as it's already been said " beautiful scenery along the way".

Would be worth the trip up there folks and like DJD said a good training run leading up to the MOK and its a flat run most of the way . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TB » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Thought I'd keep you up to date with a small technical hitch we are having with the link for entry forms as advertised on the poster :oops: ............. However I do have an alternative for you: :D

http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web ... &Itemid=62

I also dropped off a handful of forms at the pool and sports shop when I was down last week, so feel free to photocopy.

BFN :)
TB
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:41 pm

TB wrote:Thought I'd keep you up to date with a small technical hitch we are having with the link for entry forms as advertised on the poster :oops: ............. However I do have an alternative for you: :D

http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web ... &Itemid=62

I also dropped off a handful of forms at the pool and sports shop when I was down last week, so feel free to photocopy.

BFN :)

Thanks TB , picked up an entry form today so will get that mailed off tomorrow . Looks like a few of us from the Wee Toon will be heading up your way on the 16th . :wink:

Hope the training is going well for you and Rabbi :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed May 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Info for those running this Sunday as have not had any updates since I registered a few months ago . Looks like we need to book a sapce on the bus to get a lift back to our cars otherwise it might end up a 17 miler for some of us . :oops:

CRINAN PUFFER 8.5 - RACE BRIEFING INFORMATION
Sunday 16th May 2010
The organisers would like to thank British Waterways, Anderson Coaches, Midton Acrylics, the Co-op Lochgilphead & the Crinan Hotel, for their support and sponsorship, as well as all the volunteers / marshalls who help on the day.
Race Timetable
• Registration Venue- British Waterways office Pier Square Ardrishaig
• Time : 8.30-9.30 am
• Race Briefing : 9.45 am
• Start Time: 10am

Competitors will be issued with a race number to be pinned to the front of your top, Event details such as route maps and competitor lists will also be located at registration or check the web site.
http://www.midargylltri-cycleclub.co.uk
Ardrishaig is on the A83 2 miles south of Lochgilphead on the road to Tarbert.
To get to Crinan, follow the A816 road from Lochgilphead towards Oban. After 1 mile turn left along the B841 through Cairnbaan- Crinan is 5 miles further on down this road.
Parking
There are 2 car parks just before Pier Square in Ardrishaig (coming from Lochgilphead) and another one at Crinan. For those who will not have access to a lift back to their car after the race we have provided a coach which will pick runners up from Crinan before the race and bring them to Ardrishaig in time for registration. There will also be a facility for you to have a bag of belongings brought from Ardrishaig to be collected at the finish (overclothes etc)- ask at registration if you want us to do this for you. The bus will leave Crinan at 8.30am. You will need to book your place on the bus in advance via the race secretary Tim Jackson (portban@btconnect.com). If you happen to be running late please head for Ardrishaig (as the bus will not wait) and ask at registration and a lift will be arranged for you from Crinan back to your car.
The Race
The race is sponsored by British Waterways and sanctioned by Scottish Athletics. The event is promoted by Mid Argyll Athletics Club and supported by MATCC. Starting in Ardrishaig and ending in Crinan this point to point race along the beautiful and picturesque Crinan Canal. The route is on a couple of sections of roads (through Ardrishaig and through Cairnbaan) with the remainder on hard pack trail and competitors should be aware of change in terrain and pot holes. Competitors are asked to run on the left hand side of the canal path (overtake on the right) to allow other users of the canal to pass.
NOTE: the HIGHWAY CODE and DIRECTIONS FROM MARSHALLS and Police must be obeyed – failure to do so WILL result in disqualification. Infringements will jeopardise approval of event in the future and competitors are responsible for their own safety.
Facilities
There are public toilets at Ardrishaig in the Car park opposite the Co-Op and one in the Pier and on the Harbour. Along the route there are also toilets along the canal at Dunadry bridge (approx 5 miles from Crinan) and Bellanoch bridge (approx 3.5 miles from Crinan) – there are also toilets in Crinan. If you require a shower you can do so at the swimming pool in Lochgilphead (please show race number to attendant).
There will be refreshments available to purchase at Crinan – the Crinan Hotel has kindly offered to provide this and will be making a donation to the pool from sales.
Prizes
The winners prizes will be awarded at Crinan .
Each entrant will receive a T-shirt, medal and goody bag at registration. There will be trophies awarded to male & female 1st, Adult & Veteran and local runners.
Results
Preliminary Results will be available by e-mail and web site (same day) and final results within 7 days.
Thanks
The Crinan Puffer 8.5 organising committee would also like to thank the Mid Argyll Swimming Pool and staff, Strathclyde Police, the Red Cross, British Waterways, Marshalls, Volunteers and all sponsors for making this event possible.
Further information
The event is centred on the Mid Argyll Community Swimming Pool in Lochgilphead acting as a hub for a variety of sporting events with all proceeds going to the pool which is a registered Charity
Please contact the Mid Argyll Swimming Pool, Oban Road, Lochgilphead, Argyll PA31 8NG
Tel No. 01546-606676 Email: Tim Jackson portban@btconnect.com
Or check the web site: http://www.midargylltri-cycleclub.co.uk for updates or on race entry and information. We hope you have a great race.
Last edited by Pans Lass on Wed May 12, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed May 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Anyone wishing to carpool to this race on Sunday please meet outside Aqualibrium 8am sharp

I believe there are still spaces available .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rabidcabbage » Wed May 12, 2010 6:45 pm

There are around 15 places left for the event. Entries accepted on the day (unless already full) up to the limit on a first come first serve basis.

The bus is now available at the end of the event. Park in Ardrishaig and you will get a wee hurl back. The bus will only be making one run so the fast people will have to hang on for a wee while. Contact Tim on the email above if clarification is needed.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event. Weather forecast ok.
ps
ya willnae get left behind Pans! :D
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Pans Lass » Sat May 15, 2010 1:01 pm

rabidcabbage wrote:The bus is now available at the end of the event. Park in Ardrishaig and you will get a wee hurl back. The bus will only be making one run so the fast people will have to hang on for a wee while. Contact Tim on the email above if clarification is needed.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event. Weather forecast ok.
ps
ya willnae get left behind Pans! :D

Thanks Rabid ...was worried I may have to run all the way back mysell :wink:

Pans Lass wrote:Anyone wishing to carpool to this race on Sunday please meet outside Aqualibrium 8am sharp

I believe there are still spaces available .

See you all tomo at 8am for those wishing to carpool or just needs a lift 8)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rabidcabbage » Sat May 15, 2010 4:24 pm

9 places left.

Just back in from signing course.

Have a good one.

see you all tomorrow.
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Pans Lass » Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Well done to everyone who organised and helped out at this event and made it a great day out not to be missed . What a great goody bag, medal and t-shirt also the spot prizes was a nice finishing touch . :D

What a perfect route for a race !

It was a great feeling of peace and tranquility running along the banks of the Crinan Canal as the yacht's drifted by while you absorbed the countryside around you . It was perfect running weather and the rain showers around mile 6 then again around mile 8 was very welcoming .

It was good to see about 10 runners from the Wee Toon support this event and well done to Catherine, Linda and Elizabeth from JS who had never ran more than a 10k before but had the confidence to take on this new challenge. Brilliant to see girls :D

Look forward to next years . 8)

PS Having it 2 weeks before the MOK is perfect , dont change it :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Hear, hear. Great route, great organisation - the bus back to Ardrishaig hugely appreciated, and and a seemingless endless supply of tunnocks tea cakes made this a race to remember. All you need to do for next year is to arrange for a knapdale beaver to make a bid for the open sea via canal. Thanks to all concerned for a brilliant day :D .
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Same from me, brilliant day out, bacon butties and coffee in the wee coffee house brill - and after the mountain of teacakes too :lol: Think this route is up there with Benguillion for beauty, still cant get over the wee wooden house in amongst the reeds, was like something you would see in a swamp in scooby doo - if anyone knows if you can hire it out i would love for a weekend - amazing getaway 8)

Yeah and well done to the 3 JS girls - Linda, Catherine and Elizabeth on meeting their new challenge head on - good stuff girls, defo sets you 3 up for a great MOK in 2 weeks.

Well done to Kenny on your placing, never mind that wee glesga man the girls'll put him in the canal next year :lol:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat