London 2010 Mararathon Training

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: London 2010 Mararathon Training

Postby jen21 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Week 11;

Mon: Rest
Tues: 1 mile w/up, 6 miles fartlek, 1 mile c/down
Wed: 6 miles slow
Thurs: 11 miles steady
Fri:Rest
Sat: 20 miles slow
Sun: 4 miles easy

Last weeks training went well, the weather was perfect for most of my runs apart from thursdays & sat, i hate running in the wind!! I was meant to be doing Balloch Half today but i didnt enter in time, so therefore ran my half marathon yesterday. Went out in the afternoon as i was working in the morning, never doing long runs in the noon again, it seems so much harder!! Didnt feel my best yesterday plus the wind was horrible, but i managed my 13.1 miles in 1 hour 42mins :D Really chuffed, managed to knock 7mins off my last half time!! Scott was there to keep me going otherwise i think i would have given up at 5miles! My garmin was playing up in the end, went onto to some satalite thing and it wouldnt let me stop it, the 405's are really bad for that!

Well done to Elaine today too, she got a great time in the half!! Your getting so fast :D
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Katfer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Well done Jen, great half marathon time and so you should be chuffed :D :D Your time is going in really fast and I'm sure you will reap the reward after all the hard work you have been putting in.

And yes, Elaine is a wee speedster, another success after putting in loads of training, well done Elaine :D
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 am

Katfer wrote:Well done Jen, great half marathon time and so you should be chuffed :D :D Your time is going in really fast and I'm sure you will reap the reward after all the hard work you have been putting in.

Yes well done Jen, you're training is going so well and you've got so strong - keep it up, not too long to go! I know I've been scunnered a bit with training too over the past few weeks as haven't managed to tue/thu sessions as have had meetings etc so had to go out on my own - very lonely and found it very hard, looking forward to getting back with the group this week.

Katfer wrote:

And yes, Elaine is a wee speedster, another success after putting in loads of training, well done Elaine :D

jen21 wrote:
Well done to Elaine today too, she got a great time in the half!! Your getting so fast :D

Thanks jen and katfer, I was really pleased with my PB! I'm glad all that training paid off :D

Jen, it's such a shame you missed this race as I can honestly say I loved it! Def would recommend the Balloch - Clydebank half to anyone for next year.

Really was dreading it and just wanted it over but after it started I really got into it. The sun was shining, a lovely route from Balloch to Clydebank - mainly flat but a few inclines in there to make it pretty challenging. I was soo nervous when we turned up on Sunday morning and all the runners looked so professional - mostly all with club colours on etc and much talk of marathon training at the beginning so was quite intimidating at first! We met Charlie D at the race start who was there as part of his london marathon training so was good to see a friendly face!

I had a bit of a slow start as was quite congested at Loch Lomond shores and I put myself right at the back as thought everyone would speed off and leave me! Then my hairband fell off and got in a tangle at mile 2 but I soon got into my race pace and felt quite comfortable. Really enjoyed the route from Balloch, through Alexandria, Renton through Dumbarton, Old Kilpatrick, Dalmuir then finishing back at Clydebank at the playdrome and there was some really good friendly banter from runners along the way which gave everyone some morale support! I even spotted a few wearing mokrun tshirts from previous years!

I was ecstatic to cross the line at 1 hr 48 mins :D and receive my goody bag (no tshirt but nice wee medal, banana, choc bar and water). Suprisingly not sore today but a bit tired. Looking forward to doing a wee bit less mileage now and doing some speedwork for 10k training although I'm now on the lookout for another half later in the year since I enjoyed that one so much!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 am

[quote="elainemck
Well done to Elaine today too, she got a great time in the half!! Your getting so fast :D[/quote]

Really was dreading it and just wanted it over but after it started I really got into it. The sun was shining, a lovely route from Balloch to Clydebank - mainly flat but a few inclines in there to make it pretty challenging. I was soo nervous when we turned up on Sunday morning and all the runners looked so professional - mostly all with club colours on etc and much talk of marathon training at the beginning so was quite intimidating at first! We met Charlie D at the race start who was there as part of his london marathon training so was good to see a friendly face!

I had a bit of a slow start as was quite congested at Loch Lomond shores and I put myself right at the back as thought everyone would speed off and leave me! Then my hairband fell off and got in a tangle at mile 2 but I soon got into my race pace and felt quite comfortable. Really enjoyed the route from Balloch, through Alexandria, Renton through Dumbarton, Old Kilpatrick, Dalmuir then finishing back at Clydebank at the playdrome and there was some really good friendly banter from runners along the way which gave everyone some morale support! I even spotted a few wearing mokrun tshirts from previous years!

I was ecstatic to cross the line at 1 hr 48 mins :D and receive my goody bag (no tshirt but nice wee medal, banana, choc bar and water). Suprisingly not sore today but a bit tired. Looking forward to doing a wee bit less mileage now and doing some speedwork for 10k training although I'm now on the lookout for another half later in the year since I enjoyed that one so much![/quote]

Well done Elaine , fantastic time , your hard training has paid off. You will still be on a high . :D :D

Well done to Jen too , look forward to hearing how your marathon goes, not long to go now. 8)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

Elaine & Jennifer,well done to you both on your 1/2 marathon PBs.,big chunks off and thats due to your dedication and hard work over the winter period and befor.

As everyone has said,"we are all pleased for you's"

Well done.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jen21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Week 12 - its getting even closer to D Day :<>

Mon: 4miles
Tue: 1 mile w/up, 3 x 1.5 mile (or 10mins) fast, with 400 mtr rec, 1 mile c/down
Wed: 9miles
Thurs: 1 mile w/up, 3miles brisk, 1 mile c/down
Fri: Rest
Sat: 20 miles slow
Sun: 4 miles easy

Training is getting tougher all the time, im finding you have your good weeks and bad. Starting to feel alot more tired these days and legs feeling a good bit heavier. Never mind, another few weeks till i start to taper :D Ran my lsr last friday, totally dreaded the 20miles, wasnt in the mood which wasnt the best of starts. I managed it though, the wind was horrible! My time was around 2 hrs 46 mins, was quite happy considering i wasnt up for it. I really need to stop thinking about running. Its all in the mind!! If anyone is fancying a long, slow, flat course run then feel free to join me. Also, im starting to get sick of the moss road,machrihanish routes etc, any ideas of any other routes i could do?! Theres only so many places you can run here :lol:

Also good luck to all the Nigel Barge runners this weekend, you have all worked mega hard and there's going to be lots of PB's, looking forward to hearing all about it :D
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Jen21

well done on your big 20miler,if you can be bothered to travel then l would do the Crinan canal its 18 then just add the run out of another mile and back. You could always start at the Crinan hotel and then once you have finished you have a meal.

Other than that you just have to stick to whats around here.l always found then not to bad.Penniver plus 3 mile and back added with the sheep fanks is a very good run ,as you know.

You are doing brill,hope you are thinking about a game plan,it will soon be upon you.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jen21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

Week 13

Monday: Rest or 4miles
Tues: 1 mile w/up, 5 x 1 mile fast with 200m rec, 1 mile c/down
Wed: 7 miles slow
Thurs: 1 mile w/up, 4 miles brisk, 1 mile c/down
Fri: Rest
Sat: 22 miles
Sun: 4 miles

I cant believe how close this marathon is getting, im actually starting to get scared,nervous....this list goes on. Ran my 22miles yesterday instead of saturday as scott was doing his long run on sunday, so thought id join him. I enjoyed about the first 12miles of it then after that my mind was starting to play up. It wasnt the most flat run either for the first half anyway. Started at southend village, ran round cattadale hill and into town, to the sheep fanks and back to town then made the last 2miles up in town. The wind was a nightmare though!! Cant say ive enjoyed my 20 mile runs much. Managed that 20 miler in 2 hrs 44mins. The last 2 weeks i have been finding very tough, not just in my long runs in every run. I just feel tired, weak & legs dead constantly. Is this normal?! Im starting to get scunnered too & im now frightened incase my mind plays up on the day and i just give up. Thats the way im feeling and i want to get it out of my system!! Some advise from marathon runners would be well appreciated!! The last time i felt great was on my 18miles and i loved every second of that run. Anyway,this is my last week of hardwork, its scary. Then its taper......thank god!! All i could think yesterday was "why the hell am i putting myself through this" :lol: Everypart of my body ached, i felt like a cripple! All my mum kept saying, "your off your head putting your body through that, your mad" :lol: Hope everyone else's training is going well.
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

Jen21,its the norm,yes the training is tough,it has to be for 26miles run at way above the Nellie the Elephant pace.

You will reach that line at the start in great shape and in tip top condition phyiscally and mentally knowing you have done all the hard work and when you feel you want to walk which you will do,think of how you have worked so hard for this race for just not to let it go down the pan.

Good preparation = good result

You will be buzzing after your taper and then things will fall into place on the day.

You are nearly there,so head up and dig in.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:21 pm

You ARE mad but we knew that before you started your marathon training :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside Jen, you have worked soooo hard for this and I for one am really envious of you and only wish I had your energy and dedication. As Donald says good preparation = good result and you will feel refreshed after your taper weeks and raring to go (says she that's never even ran further than a 10k!). Go and blow them all away and enjoy.

PS. Might tag along with you on Wednesday as I'm down for an easy run, what time u going out?
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Jen21,

I know it sounds like preaching to the choir but, by now, you have realised that the marathon distance ain't easy. What you have behind you is the hardest bit of the whole process---the training. All those miles on your own, through the winter months will pay off. The wet, cold, windy, dark nights----my advice would be to never forget them . If you can get through that you can get through anything.

The beauty of the London Marathon is that it's run in mid spring. The weather will be a lot warmer than a Scottish West Coast winter---and no wind!!!! maybe just a wee bit of light drizzle though, to keep the runners cool--ideal!. There will be thousands of running partners and you will be supported from the start to the finish by the crowd. Just watch your pace. Be careful not to get drafted along too fast at the start. If the unlikely happens and, at the latter stages, you find yourself struggling mentally (it won't be physically, cos you've done the prep) just hark back to your hardest training run and remember how you got through that. Don't be scared about it===enjoy it.

I remember the Glasgow Marathon in 1984, I had done 3hrs 2 mins the previous year and, with less training, thought I could have a go at the 3 hour mark. I saw this group of runners go by me, yes my pace was all wrong, this lot were behind me up to 2 miles!!!! :shock: Anyway in the middle of the group was Leslie Watson (Google her, she was Scotlands best female Marathon runner in the early 80s). She could run somewhere in the 2 hrs 40 to 2hrs 45 mark, so I tagged along with them--up until the 10 mile mark. We went through 10 miles in 62 minutes. After 13 miles I cramped up in both legs. I eventually finished in 3 hrs 25 mins having had to stop every couple of miles to let the St John's Ambulance boys do a quick massage and send me on my not so merry way. That was the second hardest thing that I have done. I really had to dig deep into the mental reserves cos the physical ones had packed in.

Jen, that won't happen to you. You have prepared.

The training is hard, but the rewards make it worthwhile.

I wish you the best of luck, but you don't need that.
Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Skerry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

Jen 21

I ran my first marathon thinking I can run 13 miles, so another 13 can't be that hard :D Big mistake :shock: When I finished the run in 4.20 and they put the medal round my neck it felt like a ton! I ached all over and I vowed never again. Then once I looked at my medal I thought next year I'll be better prepared :) So I trained a wee bit more for the next year, thoroughly enjoyed it, met a lot of great people on the way round and finished in 3.20. I always remember thinking "oh well thats 20 mile down only 6 to go". However, I always felt the last 365 yards was the hardest......

Finishing a marathon is a fantastic feeling of satisfaction and true grit. You'll love it Jen, you've trained really hard so just go out, run and enjoy it :D
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby weetoonplodder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 pm

well Rab

There's a name from the dark distant past, Leslie Watson!!!, I remember her, now are you sure that you were following her for the right reasons? :wink: Have to admit she was a class act and her record speaks for itsel, she was blazing the way for Scottish womens long distance running years before the likes of Liz McColgan (Lynch), Yvonne Murray, Sandra Branney or even Erica Christie were ever on the scene.

I've enjoyed reading all your postings, sounds like there is definately a lot of hard work going in on these cold winter nights around the toon, Rab, ur quite right , you really do have to relax and enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere and let the crowd carry you along, its fair to say that in a marathon the crowd is worth at least 3miles.

One thing thats for certain is that you will never experience anything else like it in ur life than standing at the start of the London Marathon with another 40,000 runners/nutters all chasing the one dream, to cross that finnish line and hopefully catch a glimse of ur auntie Lizzie giving u a quick wave from the palace as you round the corner at the bottom of the Mall

weetoonplodder
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 am

Jen21

if what you have read don't inspire you have a lok at this(if l can post it right)

htt://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMbk9dtpdY.

have the sound on
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

No doubt you all have looked at Dick and Rick story aswell,(it speaks for it's self).

Thought l would put it up and you can download the song on your ipods and when you are going through a bad patch,this just might get you through it.

Incredible.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat