2010 Races

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

2010 Races

Postby DJD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Thought l would start a new thread on what races you will aim for next year,or as the year unfolds.

l aim to do the Krakow Marathon on the 25th April to coincide with the London Marathon training with Charlie and Jennifer.

This should give me some focus over the winter training,with a 1/2 marathon thrown in somewhere (don't know which one yet)into the 16 week training program for Krakow,starting in January.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: 2010 Races

Postby fiona28 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 pm

great idea djd, im going to try and focus a bit on my own training next year and plot out a bit of a macrocycle for myself ending with a nice "easy" marathon bout september/october any ideas. Ive managed to persuade a friend to do this with me so i wont be joe no friends. :D

Any good "easy" marathons out there djd :lol:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 am

Fiona28,like l have always said "anyone of us can run a marathon,it is how you want to run it,is the key".

Not many British marathons at that time of year,Abingdon and Baxters spring to mind.there are lots of Internationals ones around that time of year.

Berlin,fast and flat and a brilliant well organised race,in my top three. Sept
Budapest fast and flat,great to run up the Danube with music boats along the way.(l hope to do it next year.) Oct
Amsterdam flat (never fancied it) Oct
Baxters (toughee)but still quite speicial. Oct
New York(4th Gen has done that a few times) Nov

There are alot more around,but these are tried and tested,also you have to take in the cost and decide, and now would be a good time to save a couple of £££ per week,it takes the sting out of the final bill.

Its good to have someone going with you,nothing worse than being a "billy no mates" like l have done once or twice,and maybe Krakow,too.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm

the far away ones sound very sound good djd, not planning to do more than one so thought it would either be Edinburgh or glasgow as not too far away for family n friends or just go for it abroad, ill have to chat to my running buddy n see but i am tempted to go abroad, they all sound very enticing. might be joining you on a sunday then next year - do you still do hundereds of miles??? :oops:

Also very excited about the may day madness for next year, have had a few more people joining our JS team so looking good for 2 teams and this year we're not doing it for the craic - its serious :evil: so watch out for us :lol:

we promise to stay to the same route as the rest of you and not get a bonus for furtherst distance travelled :lol:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rabidcabbage » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Loch Ness Marathon for me Fiona 28. At least one other Mid Argyll Triathlon and Cycle Club member is coming with me. The event has just passed leaving a full 51 weeks of training. Whoever is going from The Wee Toon could meet up with us and have a bit of banter.
My pal Andy ran the race on Sunday, his first. The text came back after I enquired how he had done "Horrible!! Never do a marathon!! Horrible!! He ran 4:00:29. I asked why he hadn't gone for the sprint finish to shave the 30 seconds off for under 4. Non repeatable. He plans to do NY next year and then retire from the distance.
MOK 10K is a must. I desperately want to go sub 45.
MATCC are trying to get the Crinan 9 off the ground so watch this space. Perhaps April time.
There are several Argyll based events for anyone not wanting to travel too far.
I quite fancy an international event DJD. Having run around Central Park NYC and round some of the back roads in the Czech Republic near my friends house there is something uplifting about a change of scenery. Naomi from the club completed the Oslo marathon recently.
If you are travelling take your running shoes in the car. One of my best impromptu training runs was running over the Connel Bridge and round about. Felt as though I was a million miles away.
So for me Crinan 9?, Edinburgh Half, MOK, Lochness Marathon and whatever I can get in between.
What ever you do just enjoy it (after the burning lungs, sore legs, feeling of nausea, dehydration etc!!)
Best Wishes to you all. See you on the start line!
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am

been thinking should try n motivate the group a bit more into the "local" events, we always do the tin farm but tink should try n go en mass to oban and islay, perhaps helensburgh as well, dont know if Dunoon do anything?

once ive got time will put more energy into it but a JS foreign trip is defo on the cards :D you n mrs cabbage up for it :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:31 am

Reims (France) around about Oct is what would fit the bill for you JS its got the lot,as last year people from my old club had their yearly outing over there.
Marathon
1/2 Marathon

but not the party you would all have on the night,bet you could still rumble up a good dance Fiona28.

Now there is a thought for you all a race with the lot.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 pm

another for the 2010 list. Am just back from the Royal Parks Half. Nice flat course, couple of wee inclines but nothing much. No hills meant I knocked 8 mins off my last half!

Good route if you want to see the main London attractions in around 2 hours. Started in Hyde park, past Buckingham Palace onto Houses of Parliament along the river bank opposite the London Eye and lots more. Just in it's second year but were 15,000. Next year date is 10/10/10
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Tom B » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 pm

jackiefulton wrote:another for the 2010 list. Am just back from the Royal Parks Half. Nice flat course, couple of wee inclines but nothing much. No hills meant I knocked 8 mins off my last half!

Good route if you want to see the main London attractions in around 2 hours. Started in Hyde park, past Buckingham Palace onto Houses of Parliament along the river bank opposite the London Eye and lots more. Just in it's second year but were 15,000. Next year date is 10/10/10

nice one - saw the pictures on TV, looked good - didn't see you though! nice chance to go through the sights without the slog of the full marathon.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

2 different 10k's in Glasgow to kick start the new year, Nigel Barge and Jack Crawford

9th of January:
http://race-calendar.com/nigel-barge-10 ... 90110/232/

16th of January:
http://www.springburnharriers.co.uk/ind ... &Itemid=94

Both Lunch time start times so easy to travel to in the morning!

A couple of us ran the Nigel Barge one last year - it's a double loop of a 5k route, a good run. I nearly went down to a walk on the hill until Katfers Husband cheered me on and it kept me going!!!

I cheered Stuart, Elaine and others on at the Jack Crawfored one last year - never seen so manty people covered in mud crossing the finish line!!! Looked good though!!!
Tal
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby DJD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:35 pm

That's Kenny and myself now signed up for the Saunders in the Lake District in July,anyone else fancy putting a team in and tagging along and doing something that they thought were out of their league but really its not if you choose the right category, just sounds and looks daunting.(look at Kenny his has to got to put up with my snails pace compaired to him)now thats daunting.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 am

Jack Crawford 10k that was scheduled for this Saturday in Glasgow has been postponed due to poor under foot conditions until February 27th :(

Hopefully will get a nice lsr with the wee toon runners on sat morning instead :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm

What about the Jack Crawford 10k for a mini bus trip for the Wee Toon Runners? :D

It's been rescheduled for Saturday 27th Feb at 2.30 so would be plenty of time to get up and then come back down road? It's a completely flat course. It's held next to bishopbriggs leisure centre where there are showers. I think entry fee is only around £7.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 am

sounds like a good trial 10k for those who have just got back into the training - anymore interested?? will put it to the groups this week n see what interest is generated elaine, cheers :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:45 am

This race would be a good way for me to have your times for the handicap.People will require a time from either race or from a run that l will put on in April.

For when it comes race time in May,people with no time for me work out with ,(to make it fair to the others) will receive a scatch time to run on,but unlike last time.they will not score in the first run and then they would have to depend 4 race instead of 5.

sorry this should go on the other thread,but l think its an opportunity for me to stress one off the changes for this year's handicap and also it might help people to make up their mind to take this race as a focus on both fronts.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat