Safety

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Safety

Postby tilly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi everyone i feel i need to highlight the dangers of running down by Rocky Burn and the importance of running on the seaward side of the road coming round the bad bend rather than on the side of the road you would normally associate running with towards on coming traffic. This area can be very dangerous for runners and drivers alike as the corner is blind and drivers cannot see who or what is coming. With driving this road frequently i have on many occassions had a near encounter with other vehicles or pedestrians and i drive round that bend no more than 20 mph.
Please when out running use the seaward side of the road for your safety and that of others.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Safety

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Good point Tilly and thanks for highlighting this to us joggers....I am always wary of this when running down your neck of the woods and had read a tip in my runner world magazine that when you are running towards a blind or sharp bend it is always safer to cross to the other side until you are round it . And to remember as the nights draw in ...its time for the reflector gear again . :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EileenH » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:59 pm

I've nearly run joggers down at this point as well for the same reason! Funnily, the same joggers take this risk time and time again. Can I also point out another bad part on that road? Further down past Grant Logans house there is another bad bend. I don't know how often I've driven round only to be met by not only joggers but folk out for a walk. I now go round there really slow but still find it hard if I meet someone if theres also something coming the other way.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby tilly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Eileen H i also agree the bend at my house is bad and yes people should for safety reasons run on the sea side of the road. Yes Pans reflective gear will be needed shortly. Better safe than sorry and as joggers we don't really want to give rise to people criticising that we are not taking safety precautions seriously.
Happy safe jogging everyone.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 am

well done tilly, good point, i think when im on my own im guilty of hugging the inside of the road, but i do stand corrected i know ive met eileen h a few times she'll probably remember more than me if ive been naughty :lol: but i do recall when out with the group on monday night taking them to the outside wall :D

not one of our normal routes but as our group was quite small we took a wee diversion, i believe thurs took same route as us - hope you lot went the right way :wink: - copycats :lol:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat