Islay Half Marathon

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Islay Half Marathon

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Anyone over from Campbeltown?

Wee video of events on the Ileach newspaper website

http://www.ileach.co.uk/
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Islay Half Marathon

Postby Tom B » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm

...think that looked like Paul Arcari winner of MOKRUN half coming in first - results not up yet. Looks like a fair size of field too, and lots of good bits that look like the moss road - might try it next year.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Tom B wrote:...think that looked like Paul Arcari winner of MOKRUN half coming in first - results not up yet. Looks like a fair size of field too, and lots of good bits that look like the moss road - might try it next year.

Yeah, looks like Paul Acari won, he won last year too.

See big Kenny was running as some pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ileach/set ... 913252000/

Too many hills for KFN! (imagine saying that about Islay!)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 am

I think there was just Iceblue and myself from Campbeltown at Islay plus my brother up from Buckinghamshire.

It was a really tough race into the wind and up the hills for the first six miles before heading down to the airport and getting the wind on your back for the flat section back to Bowmore.

Paul Arcari did win in a time of 1:13,I managed 6th place in 1:20,big brother finished in 1:26 and Jennifer got a great new pb of 1:46 what was great going considering how tough it was for the first half of the race.

We all had a great time and would recommend it to anybody from Kintyre,after all it is on our door step! Like the MOK I would enter early as Islay reached their race limit of 200 this year.
KC
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby iceblue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 pm

This was the third year that I have ran Islay half and it is definitely one of my favourite races :D It's got such a great atmosphere for a small race.

I was really pleased to get a new pb and well done to Kenny for getting so close to his pb considering the conditions on Saturday :D

My legs felt very heavy at first, and combined with the long gradual hills and headwind, I didn't think that a pb was on. I instantly began to feel better and stronger as soon as I had the wind to my back and I was on the home straight. However, by mile 12 the hills were back and my pace slowed. I managed to overcome that and upped the pace on the final mile to get that pb. It's such a great feeling when you see the sight of the Round Church at Bowmore and then it's all downhill to the finish line :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Well done kc and iceblue, well done on the pb iceblue you deserve it.

Really fancied the Islay race but heard it was a fast course and lots of 'serious runners' will maybe look into it for next year. Islay had a triathlon in June too - anyone from the town do that? is anyone training for mid argyll tri?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks Elaine :)

There are a lot of 'serious runners' who do the race, but don't let that put you off, I'm sure you would get on fine 8)

I would like to give the Islay triathlon a go next year. I thought about entering it this year but I didn't feel I had done enough training for it at the time. I'll need to start upping the training for the mid argyll tri now that Islay is over. I've been swimming about once a week and I've been out on the bike when the weather has been good, which hasn't been much over the last few weeks. I really enjoyed it last year and it must be a popular race as the individual entries have reached their race limit for this year.
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Skerry » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Excellent time Iceblue. The hill training is paying off :D
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby fiona28 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 am

well done iceblue, so pleased for you, really moving the now aren't you :D well done kc also - those big long legs of yours just make it look soooo easy :D

maybe we could have a JSC half marathon group go over next year - and stay the night - great place for a wee tipple or two :lol:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:46 pm

fiona28 wrote:well done iceblue, so pleased for you, really moving the now aren't you :D well done kc also - those big long legs of yours just make it look soooo easy :D

maybe we could have a JSC half marathon group go over next year - and stay the night - great place for a wee tipple or two :lol:

Sounds good !!

Well done Iceblue, you worked hard for that PB , and well done KC too !! Looks like one for next year . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat