GREAT SCOTTISH RUN 2009

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: GREAT SCOTTISH RUN 2009

Postby Skerry » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:35 am

Elaine you done it! The best feeling is when you get over the line and next year will be easier. Excellent :D
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby caro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Yes a big well done to all the local entrants - just sorry I missed it!!! :(

Elaine - you did so well - an inspiration to us! Well done! :D :D
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 pm

I did it - woo hoo! 1 hr 59 mins and 02 secs - much better than I'd hoped. I have to admit that I actually loved it and felt good throughout - very suprised by that! I was so nervous and worried about the race, contradicting myself every day for weeks whether to do it or not but I am so pleased I did it. This is my kind of race report of the day!

I thoroughly enjoyed the route, starting at a very crowded George's Square and was pleasantly suprised that the start differed from last year and you didn't have to run all the way up St Vincent Street's incline :-) We turned left, ran up Bothwell Street and ran up on to the Kingston Bridge - fantastic! By then it was teaming with rain but it didn't bother me at all and kept me cool.

I managed to borrow a garmin and tried not to look at it too much but I couldn't help it as I was feeling strong and found it interesting (and a bit of a novelty) to know my 'pace'. The first few miles I did under 9min miles and since it was my first half I started to panic that I would burn out so I slowed back a bit as we went into the Southside and ran round Bellahouston Park followed by Pollok Country Park. I'm not sure whether the course had slightly changed from before as I knew that in the 10k route it had a big hill in Pollok Park and a few others had told me there was big one in the half so I was bracing myself for it but it never came - hurrah!

The banter and atmosphere was great throughout the race with plenty of entertainment to keep you motivated although I don't think they had a 10 mile marker which threw me off a bit but when we got closer to the Clyde I knew it was the home straight so kept pushing on. Those last 2 miles were the hardest but I still had a little energy in the tank to do a sprint finish and would've pushed it more if I knew exactly where the finish line was but it suddenly just appeared when I turned a corner and I was elated to cross that finish line!

I was so chuffed with my time and think I could've shaved a bit off if I'd pushed it a bit but really just glad to get round it in one piece! Goody bag was pretty good including banana, water, tunnocks, cereal, cereal bar etc etc Tshirt wasn't as good as mokrun though :lol:

Well done to everyone else who ran it or the 10k - Jen Martin did great with 1 hr 49 - fantastic stuff! Don't know many other times but quickly checked the 10k winner times to see if any of the mokrun winners were up there and seen Hendrie Barbour's name at position 25 - WOW! Amazing Hendrie well done!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 pm

well done Elaine!!

yes have to agree was a great day, great atmosphere, great crowd of spectators and the rain did not dampen their spirits or the runners..

good tactic that missing out the 10mile marker - 9 to 10 seemed a bit long and suddenly there was the 11mile marker - checked the time then and thought maybe for the 2 hours -never quite caught up with you :D but did manage to knock 8 mins of my Iceland time
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fiona28 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 am

well done elaine, done it and done it in style :D excellent result, feels great having that first one in the bag, the 10k doesnt seem so scary any more does it :lol:
well done jackie on 8 mins of iceland - gr8 result
and to wee norz, mari, fiona r and marjory who all beat last years times :D even tho they'd put the incline back in!!!!

well done to all runners :D :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tilly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:50 am

Well done everyone who took part in the GSR sounds as though you all had an excellent run. Enjoyed reading your race report Elaine well done and a great time too. As for Norz, Mairi, Fiona and Marjorie after your late night you all done brill don't think i could have managed round after a late night. Jackie 8mins off your last run great.
Love reading how everyone gets on hoping it will rub off and give me some inspiration.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby iceblue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Everyone seems to have had a really good GSR, all with great times ...... well done :)

Great race report Elaine, sounds like you really enjoyed your run :) That's a brilliant time for your first half marathon, I knew you could do it :D

Well done Jackie on your 8 min pb, that's a fantastic result :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Great race report elaine, didnt see it when i was on last time and well done to Jennifer and wow Hendrie :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Just catching up with all the running news on the forum after being away all week.

Wow ...brilliant run by the sound of it from everyone . I am just sorry I never got to race but on docs order I had no choice :x

Elaine , great race report and well done , I am really proud of you as you trained hard for this and I was so pleased to hear you managed under the 2 hours for your first ...you must have been on a high for days after it !! Well done to Jen and Jackie too and of course Marg, Noreen ,marie and Fiona R and last but not least Hendrie . :D Wish I had been with you all .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat