London 10k/Majorca Marathon or 10k

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

London 10k/Majorca Marathon or 10k

Postby elainemck » Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi folks

For those of you on a low now that mokrun is over for another year or have caught the running bug - it's time jog scotland campbeltown went on another trip!

Check out http://www.tui-marathon.com/_eng/start_en.html to enter Majorca's Marathon, half marathon or 10k on 19th October. Myself, Lindsay O, Jennifer O, Jennifer Martin and Chantal have booked through www.flyglobespan.com to go for 4 nights (Thursday 16th to Monday 20th) in the school hols. Staying at Vista Nova Hotel 3* in Palma Nova Half Board and got it at only £249 pp. There was a hotel in Palma all inclusive but it was 5 miles out and didn't have air con. Palma Nova is about 20 mins away so we'll just book a taxi/minivan for the morning of the race - yay!

And if you want an inbetweener - check out [/url]http://www.greatrun.org[/url]/ to enter the Great BUPA Capital run in Hyde Park, London on 20th July. I'm going to book that at some point this week - just similar to Dublin with Ryanair/Easyjet flights (approx £60 depending on flight times etc) and possibly a travellodge or holiday inn - the travellodge Marleybone is close to Hyde Park and have twin rooms for £80. Prob go down on the Saturday back Monday.

It would be great to get a crowd going :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: London 10k/Majorca Marathon or 10k

Postby fiona28 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:15 pm

I would love to do this Elaine but one run abroad a year will have to do for me, ive got kiddies mind you so go for it you lot that havent got the anklebiters :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Elaine, for good quality and very reasonably priced accommodation close to Hyde Park try the Imperial College halls of residence, just behind the Royal Albert Hall. I stay there when I go to the Proms (actually I arrive this year on 20 July!). I pay just over £42 for a single en-suite room in Beit Hall with full English breakfast included (you have to go across the road into the college itself to get that). I'm not sure of the website but try "www.imperial-accommodationlink.com" or "www.imperial.ac.uk/conferences/index.asp?page_id=3"
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks, looks good and includes breakfast :D Hopefully booking this week.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi Elaine

The Majorca half marathon or 10k looks great and I would love to join you guys but unfortunately I have just looked at my kids school holidays and they will be home on the 16th so wont be able to go . Hopefully another time ! :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Sounds great girls :) I'm away with the girls for 4 nights at the end of June so think London might be pushing Iains good nature just a little bit :lol: - and October is our family holiday time though if we end up in Majorca this year I could always join you!! Great prices though!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Those thinking of London....

Booked Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Stansted for the London weekend and wait for it - they were FREE! Had to pay taxes but no more than £20pp return :) Booked the Adare hotel next to Hyde Park for £55pp for 2 nights bed and breakfast if anyone fancies joining us.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Good luck in London this weekend Girls! Hope you have a good time and run well! Enjoy the apres run party too! Look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby caro » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Had a quick text from Lindsay today to say that she, Elaine and Jennifer enjoyed their London 10k. Three great times but I'll leave you in suspense and not steal their thunder.!!!!!!! :oops:

Well done girls - you'll get me back in my trainers yet!
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Katfer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 am

Yes, well done Jennifer M and girls, hope you had a good weekend.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Yes, well done girls ...heard some great times too . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes a great time was had by us especially in Harrods!!! Still never got my target time so doing 10k in glasgow in sept now so fingers crossed and lots of training to go :)
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Sorry not uploaded any photos yet but will try to at the wknd....

We had a great time away at the TUI Majorca Marathon although spent a lot of our time eating and drinking more than we maybe should've in preparation for the race!

The race was a lovely flat course along the marina of Palma, in front of the monumental Cathedral and was very picturesque. Our hopes of it being cool were soon demolished as when we got in taxi at 7am it was already 24 degrees! Well the belting sun sure put any thoughts of a pb out the window but we all thoroughly enjoyed it and enjoyed lounging by the pool afterwards! Jenny Martin managed a great 52 mins in the heat, while I got my 'usual' 1 hour 1 minute, Lindsay and Jennifer Owen did it in 1 hour 8 - which is brilliant for absolutely no training!! They both look as if they've been sunbathing for a month solid.... not that I'm jealous or anything of their great tan....

Unfortunately we were delayed severely coming back - was supposed to be home by 9pm but our flight was delayed until 3am, nightmare! Absolutely shattered.

Right, now I'm on a detox and back to training tomorrow, really want to get under the hour at some point, I just don't think it's possible for me!!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Completely forgot you were running in Majorca girls.....well done in that heat!! I definitely prefer winter running!! I saw many many people running in mid day/early afternoon sun when we were away and I can see no pleasure in it at all so well done all of you! Glad you managed some chill time too :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Tom B » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:17 pm

well done - sounds like a great trip!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat