Gigha Run

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Gigha Run

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for the update fja. We are still planning to catch the 11am ferry over however if the weather is nice we plan to leave on the 10am one and take a picnic. 8)

Anyone know what the forecast for Saturday is ???? Always like to hear from the farmers on this. :wink:

Anyone wishing a lift to the ferry just PM me as we have a few cars going up .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Fri May 02, 2008 9:10 am

Sorry, can't figure out how to PM you Pans lass using the new layout - probably staring me in the face!!

I am heading up with my car tomorrow, taking Erin with me but room for 3 more.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:16 pm

im going too, if its nice will have milsy27 and morgie12 with me if not will just be no 28 so i dont mind sharing either. got katfer and pans lass numbers and will contact in the morning. sleep well :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sat May 03, 2008 8:33 am

Pity about the weather for the Gigha race but hopefully it will dry up before 12noon, if not looks like the picnic will be off.

Sent you a PM Katfer about sharing a lift. See you all soon.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat May 03, 2008 10:37 am

Good luck folks - pity about the weather but it may brighten up by twelve! Would be there cheering you all on if I wasn't working :x
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby fiona28 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:53 pm

back home safely with djd in third place for the men and katfer in second and iceblue in third for the ladies. :D

what a great day, wasnt running but totally enjoyed supporting you all - great day - with stories about ferries and things as usual, but i think ill let pans lass fill you all in on that one - what a scream - do you get ferry rage??? :? :wink:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm

fiona28 wrote:what a great day, wasnt running but totally enjoyed supporting you all - great day - with stories about ferries and things as usual, but i think ill let pans lass fill you all in on that one - what a scream - do you get ferry rage??? :? :wink:

Well I better get this over with now folks....... :oops:

Had a great day on Gigha even though I almost' missed the boat' ,literally. :oops: :oops: With Fiona28 at the wheel we set off from the Ralston incline a little too late due to the usually blethering however we made it to the ferry at 10.58am for an 11am departure to find out that the ferry was full to capacity and the ferry man was turning us back to catch the next ferry at 12 noon. Under no circumstances would he allow anymore passengers on , to which I replied BUT I am running in the Gigha race you have to let me on . :oops: :oops: No was his stern reply. I thought I must get on this ferry......
Now everyone else was on board early, DJD, Katfer,fja, iceblue and all our supporters. I thought if the race starts at 12noon how was i going to make it .... swim ...no it was too rough ..then I had an :idea: :idea: .....to ask someone if they would kindly give up their seats for two runners as i had just met Clare Reid who also was turned back despite getting there early and on time I must add . :wink: So I shouted to some strangers on top deck if they would swap ferry times with me and they just drew me a blank...mad wuman they must have thought ... by this time the ferryman said he had no time to wait and he was going , when fiona28 came running up with another :idea: .... ask Heather ask Heather ...she will do it .At this the poor ferryman went into the cabin and shouted would Heather Mc P get off the ferry to which she and her wee girl did without any hesitation. The ferrryman by this time was seeing red and the tone in his voice was not pleasant so I did not have time to explain to my rescuers what was happening . :oops: :oops:
So a huge thank you to Heather and Nicole for saving the 'race' . Glad to say they arrived back over with fiona28 and crew in plenty off time to cheer us on . :D

I think my adrenaline was pumping after that and I went on to run a good race despite it being very windy and the route being like a roller coaster. I managed to maintain my goal of a 9 min mile pace finishing with a 7.50 mile sprint at the end. So I was delighted with my time. Well done to DJD for coming in third male and Katfer and iceblue second and third respectively :D :D

Thanks to all our supporters for coming along to cheer us on especially the young ones.

We ended the afternoon with a lovely lunch at the Boat House . Well worth a visit.

Oh and thanks for the lift fiona28 :lol: :lol: Better catch the 10am ferry next year. :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Sat May 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Great race report Pans lass ...... you really couldn't make that story up :wink: I'm glad I arrived my usual really early self ....there was absolutely no way I was taking any chances and missing that ferry :wink:

Found it a really tough race today and struggled into the strong wind all the way along the island, so pleased to have taken off 3 mins from last years time :)

Well done to everyone who ran today ..... it's all looking good for the Mok now :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat May 03, 2008 8:42 pm

Pans Lass wrote:
fiona28 wrote:what a great day, wasnt running but totally enjoyed supporting you all - great day - with stories about ferries and things as usual, but i think ill let pans lass fill you all in on that one - what a scream - do you get ferry rage??? :? :wink:

Well I better get this over with now folks....... :oops:

Had a great day on Gigha even though I almost' missed the boat' ,literally. :oops: :oops: With Fiona28 at the wheel we set off from the Ralston incline a little too late due to the usually blethering however we made it to the ferry at 10.58am for an 11am departure to find out that the ferry was full to capacity and the ferry man was turning us back to catch the next ferry at 12 noon. Under no circumstances would he allow anymore passengers on , to which I replied BUT I am running in the Gigha race you have to let me on . :oops: :oops: No was his stern reply. I thought I must get on this ferry......
Now everyone else was on board early, DJD, Katfer,fja, iceblue and all our supporters. I thought if the race starts at 12noon how was i going to make it .... swim ...no it was too rough ..then I had an :idea: :idea: .....to ask someone if they would kindly give up their seats for two runners as i had just met Clare Reid who also was turned back despite getting there early and on time I must add . :wink: So I shouted to some strangers on top deck if they would swap ferry times with me and they just drew me a blank...mad wuman they must have thought ... by this time the ferryman said he had no time to wait and he was going , when fiona28 came running up with another :idea: .... ask Heather ask Heather ...she will do it .At this the poor ferryman went into the cabin and shouted would Heather Mc P get off the ferry to which she and her wee girl did without any hesitation. The ferrryman by this time was seeing red and the tone in his voice was not pleasant so I did not have time to explain to my rescuers what was happening . :oops: :oops:
So a huge thank you to Heather and Nicole for saving the 'race' . Glad to say they arrived back over with fiona28 and crew in plenty off time to cheer us on . :D

I think my adrenaline was pumping after that and I went on to run a good race despite it being very windy and the route being like a roller coaster. I managed to maintain my goal of a 9 min mile pace finishing with a 7.50 mile sprint at the end. So I was delighted with my time. Well done to DJD for coming in third male and Katfer and iceblue second and third respectively :D :D

Thanks to all our supporters for coming along to cheer us on especially the young ones.

We ended the afternoon with a lovely lunch at the Boat House . Well worth a visit.

Oh and thanks for the lift fiona28 :lol: :lol: Better catch the 10am ferry next year. :lol:

That's wil' right enough!! ended well though!! :D
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:33 am

brill pans lass :D that says it all :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 am

Really enjoyed yesterday(not the running thou) well done to everyone who ran the distance,and l would also add my thanks to the suppoters along the way.The wife and kids thought it was a great day too.Thanks for the help from all, with my herd.

Good story Pans Lass, all adds to the day.

No running for me this week,tired,tired legs,having a cut back week instead.

Good running from Katfer and Iceblue and everyone that ran and beat last years time and also to some good first time efforts on a testing course.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun May 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Anyone take any pics of the days event ? :)
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:09 pm

yeah it was a great family day out djd wasnt it, those wee supporters were fab, we had quite a crew invade the island and paddle in the bay :D i know my two had a great day too, u n sara need a sheepdog :D - that would make herding them up easier, they are lovely kids djd :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:13 pm

come on katfer n iceblue, give us a post of your times cos i have a memory like a hen, i think iceblue was 1:35 which is 3 mins off last years time, i think im sure she'll correct me if im wrong :( dont be shy girls and can you mind our boy matthews time i know he was in just after you katfer.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Sun May 04, 2008 7:51 pm

You are spot on fiona28, what a memory :wink: My time was 1:35:32, 3 mins off last year :D

And a big thanks for your support during the race ...... otherwise I could have easily given up :oops: It better not be that windy at the Mok :x
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat