Flora London Marathon 2009

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Tom B wrote:really love watching this too - the build up is amazing - great atmosphere - every year I say, maybe I'll enter for next year...maybe I will!

Chris Brasher founder of the London marathon, said the followng after running the New York marathon in 1979 and wondering if London could play host to a similar event...

""To believe this story you must believe that the human race can be one joyous family, working together, laughing together, achieving the impossible. I believe it because I saw it happen. Last Sunday in one of the most trouble-stricken cities of the world, 11,532 men, women and children from 40 countries of the world, assisted by one million black, white and yellow people, Protestants and Catholics, Jews and Muslims, Buddhists and Confucians, laughed, cheered and suffered during the greatest folk festival the world has seen. And at the end of it all the story was written in their faces - faces of contentment and happiness.
I'm sure that it was written in my face because I was one of those thousands who won the New York Marathon. For more than 10,000 of us who finished, it was a great personal victory over doubt and fear, body and mind. And for most of us, we won only because one million New Yorkers came out of their homes and holes to feed and water us, to make music and brotherly love and to be Good Samaritans to all who felt like dropping by the wayside.
I have heard the crowd shouting Sir Gordon Richards home in the Derby; the roar of the winning goal at Wembley; Olympic chants in four continents; but I have never heard such fervour as came from the crowd who cheer you as you approach the finish of the New York City Marathon.
Nearly 2,000 years ago, Paul saw a vision on the road to Damascus. Last Sunday millions of us saw a vision of the human race, happy and united, willing their fellow human beings to a pointless but wonderful victory over mental doubt and bodily frailty.
I wonder whether London could stage such a festival? We have the course, a magnificent course, but do we have the heart and hospitality to welcome the world?"
CB in 'The Observer', October 1979.

Your brother said something similar to me as we came off the Queensboro Bridge onto 1st Avenue Manhattan back in'96 and finished with "I wonder whether Campbeltown could stage such a festival? We have the course, a magnificent course, but do we have the heart and hospitality to welcome the world?"

What vision .........Hendrie and Chris!!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:36 pm

thot id recorded the prog this am but im not very good with the flick cos im not very often in charge of it :shock: so i didnt record anything this morning but seein djd in the highlights makes up 4 it :D

4th im sure there are many jogscot ladies who could run the MOK in the same outfit :wink:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Looking forward to it Fiona :wink:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:57 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:
Tom B wrote:really love watching this too - the build up is amazing - great atmosphere - every year I say, maybe I'll enter for next year...maybe I will!

Chris Brasher founder of the London marathon, said the followng after running the New York marathon in 1979 and wondering if London could play host to a similar event...

""To believe this story you must believe that the human race can be one joyous family, working together, laughing together, achieving the impossible. I believe it because I saw it happen. Last Sunday in one of the most trouble-stricken cities of the world, 11,532 men, women and children from 40 countries of the world, assisted by one million black, white and yellow people, Protestants and Catholics, Jews and Muslims, Buddhists and Confucians, laughed, cheered and suffered during the greatest folk festival the world has seen. And at the end of it all the story was written in their faces - faces of contentment and happiness.
I'm sure that it was written in my face because I was one of those thousands who won the New York Marathon. For more than 10,000 of us who finished, it was a great personal victory over doubt and fear, body and mind. And for most of us, we won only because one million New Yorkers came out of their homes and holes to feed and water us, to make music and brotherly love and to be Good Samaritans to all who felt like dropping by the wayside.
I have heard the crowd shouting Sir Gordon Richards home in the Derby; the roar of the winning goal at Wembley; Olympic chants in four continents; but I have never heard such fervour as came from the crowd who cheer you as you approach the finish of the New York City Marathon.
Nearly 2,000 years ago, Paul saw a vision on the road to Damascus. Last Sunday millions of us saw a vision of the human race, happy and united, willing their fellow human beings to a pointless but wonderful victory over mental doubt and bodily frailty.
I wonder whether London could stage such a festival? We have the course, a magnificent course, but do we have the heart and hospitality to welcome the world?"
CB in 'The Observer', October 1979.

Your brother said something similar to me as we came off the Queensboro Bridge onto 1st Avenue Manhattan back in'96 and finished with "I wonder whether Campbeltown could stage such a festival? We have the course, a magnificent course, but do we have the heart and hospitality to welcome the world?"

What vision .........Hendrie and Chris!!

Thought the same 4th gen...the barbour brothers had the same vision....look how the MOK has taken off.

I am so proud off how this has developed for the wee toon .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby abbey craig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:58 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Looking forward to it Fiona :wink:

calm yir jets 4th gen :wink: :wink: :lol:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:59 pm

fiona28 wrote:thot id recorded the prog this am but im not very good with the flick cos im not very often in charge of it :shock: so i didnt record anything this morning but seein djd in the highlights makes up 4 it :D

4th im sure there are many jogscot ladies who could run the MOK in the same outfit :wink:

Missed DJD fiona28 .....looked out for him all morning ....great to know you spotted him in the highlights. 8)

We all proud off you DJD. 8)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 pm

abbey craig wrote:
4th gen Suthen' wrote:Looking forward to it Fiona :wink:

calm yir jets 4th gen :wink: :wink: :lol:

Just you wait til you see oor new running outfit.....especially the short shorts. :oops:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Just seen Donald's time for the marathon .........3.20:13 an amazing time DJD. Well done . Position 2890 out off over 35,00 runnners and position 201 in his age group ........ A great achievement.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Flora London Marathon 2009

Postby Rabmacd » Sat May 10, 2008 11:54 am

I entered the ballot for next years LFM after watching this years race. Hopefully it will give me an incentive to run through the summer(should I be successful).Don't know when I'll find out, though. Any ideas DJD??
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sat May 10, 2008 8:05 pm

////
Last edited by DJD on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun May 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks DJD--October seems a long way off, but I'm hoping to start back on the road the week after MOKRUN. Think I may aim for the Oban half in October and carry on from there.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 am

Just received notification that my application for the London marathon 2009 has been unsuccessful :(
I don't know whether to be happy that the hard training is on hold or to be disappointed at not making it. The latter, I think.

Still got a nice fleece from them though!!
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:36 pm

////
Last edited by DJD on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:04 pm

No London marathon for me this year either.After thinking about it I don't think I am too bothered about missing out. I think I am going to give the Shakespere marathon on the same day as London a go now.

DJD, I fancy giving the LAMM a go next year.I will speak to you on Tuesday about it.
KC
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby DJD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

////
Last edited by DJD on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat