Running / Sports Injuries

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Weetoonplodder - welcome to the Forum - excellent first post.

I too have a friend who bought expensive orthotics and it nearly crippled him, both financially and physically!

PS. Are us boys still allowed to squeeze our feet into high heels :?: :wink: :oops:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: blisters and painful calves

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 pm

weetoonplodder wrote:Pans LassForget the orthotic support it aint worth the money, try a pair of SPENCO or Sorbathane insoles if your going to buy anything, its a cheaper option BUT check your trainer suitability first, Id bet your wearing the wrong type.

P.s Just remember we aint all 17 anymore :wink:

Thanks for all your advice re blisters etc but as for the orthotic supports it gets quite confusing with such conflicting advice. I am a severe overpronator so I need a more support trainer , which I hope I have found now. If I still have bother i will try the insoles you suggested . Thanks

PS Wish I was 17 again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for your vote of approval Sheik

Maybe you will be lucky this time around Pans Lass with your BROOKS, if not then the only other ones Id recommend to try is a pair of New Balance. When all else fails you cannot beat BROOKS or New Balance, they dont make shoes for the mass market like Addidas and Nike, the Brooks Chariot was always reguarded as one of the best shoes on the market.

If your up in Glasgow why not splash out and go to see a proper consultant about your knees, you may find that all these problems can be corrected by certain exercises. I used to have problems with my knees locking when I was sitting down at night, never bothered me when I was running, walking etc, just when I was sitting driving or in bed. I went to see a Chiropractor who informed me that I put a lot of pressure on the opposite leg to what was my leading leg, explained that my knee was not able to disipate the pressure properly, gave me exercises to do told me to purchase a pair of Sorbothane insoles and had to sleep with a pillow under my knee, which over a period of about 6 - 8weeks cured the problem. I have to say It was money well spent and was not really that expensive on the face of things.

Rickie Mc Farlane
264 Bath St
Glasgow
opposite the Kings theatre, not sure if still there or his number but there is a chiropracters practice redgistered at that address and no is 0141 332 1390

Beyond this I cannot offer anymore advise :(
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:57 pm

weetoonplodder-you know your stuff and you put it across well which l'm sure will benefit us all on this thread and we all glean advice from each other, even if that something might work for some people and not for others.

l also enjoyed reading your post.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advice once again wee toon plodder......I hope I have cracked it this time with the 'right' trainers. Never had BROOKS before but I do feel much more supported in them and after only two training session of 6 miles I have felt no knee pain during or after. I know its early days to tell but the real test will be on my LRS this weekend.

As for visiting a chiropractor , ironicly, i have got an appointment to see one next Friday in Glasgow. Glasgow chiropractic St Vincent Place (city centre) . They had been doing a one off promotion a few weekends ago in Buchanan Galleries , I was interested in what they had to say so I booked an appt to have my spine looked at as i believe it can hold the answers to many problems one may be experiencing. . :shock:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:36 am

Pans lass---Im sure that ull be plesantly surprised by ur visit to the Chiropractor, no doubt they will tell you some valuable info. Having been to one myself manys a year ago id fully reccomend it to anyone thats having persistant injuries. The thing that i found reasuring is that they were involved in sport themselves at quite a high level and understood the problems I was having. Probably spent more time chatting about training sessions and races etc but to them it was valuable info as to what level of training I was doing.

I know its not as easy to get proper facilities in the wee toon but one id definately recommend is a sports massage, it really does work wonders on your legs if uve been pounding in the miles. You can do a bit yourself but really better to get someonelse to do it for you, if you get a friend or partner to do it just watch that they dont get too over enthusiastic and do you an injury. Have them spend about 10mins just warming up your leg before they get down to actually applying any pressure to where it might be sore, only apply presure to the affected area for a few rubs then massage a the larger area again before going back to the affected area. Id expect to spend no more than 15-20 mins per leg to give your legs a good loosening off. If you are getting problems around the achilles then Id suggest best left to the Professionals as just to delicate an area to start playing silly buggers on.

Try to pick a route where the surfaces ur running on are good and flat, this can definately be a hard one to accomplish roon the wee toon but at least with the light nights well on the way you can get out and about around the moss and down the front etc. Its amazing the amount of injuries that are picked up because of poor running surfaces.
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:35 pm

gosh its enough to put anyone off running in the first place, the healthy folk we runners are :D

in case any non runners are reading - it is all worth the other health benefits :D

touch wood ive never really suffered anything apart from blisters on my inner arch, which i think was down to running in bedsocks cos i didnt know you got special running sox - honestly i did my first 10k in perth with thick woolly bedsox on, you know the ones with the plastic bits on the bottom so you dont slip :shock: and was wearing my old nike trainers that i wear to work :wink:

big changes nowadays - i wont go out unless i have my £10 a pair sox on cos i know if i run over 6 miles with anything else on ill get blisters :cry:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Running / Sports Injuries

Postby fiona28 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:51 am

here i am to add my tale of woe to see if i can get help??

sitting comfortably, ill start then - had a niggle at the back of my knee for a couple of months, felt it when doing kicks at salsa, sorta like kicking a ball thats up in the air ( can you all picture that - kicking at knee height), went out on a sprinting session on the tues night and the back of my knee on the inside of the leg refused to play anymore.

have been finding the tops of my feet now sore when i run and impossible to run at my own pace, i reckon, and so does physio its a wee nick on the tendon, i had a deep tissue massage done by laura and she rubbed away all my crystalised lactic acid and the tightness from every muscle in my leg - it was slightly painful but you could feel it work .

now i am left with the ability to run but not as fast !!

all ideas , comments will be gratefully received.
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun May 11, 2008 7:09 am

Hello Wee Toon Plodder, I have just found out your true identity!

Regarding injuries and trainers...I was on the very point of giving up on running a couple of years ago...constant hip, groin, inner thigh pain on my right side, sometimes the pain was so acute I could hardly walk never mind run.....it would come and go but when there it was almost impossible to run (I trace it all back to an injury sustained at Kintyre Park on 3rd November 1995! was never right after that)

BUT, I am mighty fine now! figured out Control trainers would help and they DID my last 5 pairs have been Adidas Supernova Control and hardly a twinge since :D I am now reluctant to change make of shoe!! I always liked Asics and Reebok but Adidas sizes are slightly different and, boring as it is, I have to stick to size 10 Adidas...........actually got a new pair this week meaning to wear them for gentle training in the 2 weeks leading up to the 10k but have worn them on my last 2 8 milers with no problems.......so, now I have a decision to make for race day......not sure what to do.

Ricky McFarlane is an ex manager of St Mirren who took the club to within 4 games of winning the Scottich Premier League in 1980...win all 4 and the league was their's........that was the year Aberdeen won.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 am

4th gen
if you've done 2 x 8's in them and your ok then you should be ok for the 10k by the time it arrives,,, if your the least bit worried, take the insoles out you old trainers and put them in your new ones and run in them that way. On the sunday before London mine developed a problem and had to get a new pair so got them changed for the same kind and swapped over the insoles as I had been runninfg on the insoles for a month so were well worn in.

No harm in being boring and wearing addidas, its a good stable shoe and at least you know where you are with value for money too. I never buy anything appart from Addidas, Nike or New Balance now, It aint worth the grief. Tried a pair of Saucony late last year and they had to go back to the shop as ripped my feet to shreads,, but I know Its not the same for everybody. One of my long time ruunning friends wears them and has not had any probs. If you were to change to another model id recommend New Balance as excellent shoe in a wide range of sizes and widths and has great cushioning too. Im running in their M1062's at the mo and really comfortable shoe for long trainging runs, also running in Nike Mayfly which is a racing trainer and very lite, definately not reccomended if you need a lot of support

You can get some really good deals on last years models and colours if you go on to "sportsshoes.com" have been buying mine from there for about the last 10 years. £35.00 will get you a nice £80.00 pair of trainers in last years colours.

and just for the record 4th gen the name definately suits me now,,, plodding is the best i can do these days,,, have only run once since London as still not totally recovered from that virus, was hoping to have been fit again to run a good time at home but will be happy just to go round, I had thought a sub 1.25 might have been on the cards but prob lucky if I can get close to 1.40. Already got my entry in for glasgow so will train for that instead.

Its the same Ricky McFarlane
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby peenkles21 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:36 pm

Ok soooooooooooooo,

With little under a week to go until the glasgow half iv done something silly.

On friday night i was in a bit of a rush and ran out of my front door and missed a huge pile of paving slabs that were sitting outside (it was dark, very dark!) anyway i ran into them fell over and iv hurt my knee (im sure there was comedy value somewhere!) :oops: . Its now bruised/swollen quite a bit. Im in glasgow at the minute, can anyone reccomend somewhere that deals with sports injuries in the hope that i can get this sorted out sharpish??

Cheers,
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby weetoonplodder » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Peenkles 21

Going to Sports Injury clinic at this late stage probably won't do you any good, best thing you could have done was stick a Bag of frozen Peas over it and allowed the swelling to have went down when you did it,,,,

The one good thing that every runner learns early on is always have your own bag of frozen peas in the freezer in case of emergencies and always remember to clearly mark them up as yours incase someone ends up eating them after they have been in and out the freezer a dozen times,,, then someone probably will need to be running , running fast to the loo,,,lol

If you really want to go somewhere to try and get some kind of treatment then I suggest a trip to the sports injury clinic at the Kelvin Halls Sports Arena,, Ive been there manys a year ago for treatment and they are very good. I would expect them to tell you pretty much what ive told you in the first paragraph,,, stick some frozen peas over it

Good luck

weetoonplodder
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:45 pm

weetoonplodder wrote:Hi Peenkles 21

The one good thing that every runner learns early on is always have your own bag of frozen peas in the freezer in case of emergencies and always remember to clearly mark them up as yours incase someone ends up eating them after they have been in and out the freezer a dozen times,,, then someone probably will need to be running , running fast to the loo,,,lol

If

Glad to say my family dont likepeas so my bag is safe in the freezer or should I say they are .. :lol: :lol: Since my injury last year I took that advice and always keep a bag to hand.

Peenkles ...hope your knee feels better by Sunday but the old ICE is best to remember to keep swelling and bruising down however if you were heading oot for the night that would not be possible. :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 pm

So any advise on how to avoid shin splints? Help cure them? etc
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:So any advise on how to avoid shin splints? Help cure them? etc

Major Cause #1: Incorrect Fitting Shoes

Incorrect fitting or poor quality shoes can lead to shin splints. It is important you know the correct shoes and arch support for you to prevent both over and under pronation. Also, shoes of the wrong size and softness can interfere with running technique leading to shin pain.

Many times Shins Splints start as soon as you purchase a new pair of shoe. If so, go back to your old shoes and see if that makes the difference.

Major Cause #2: Leg Muscle Imbalances

A muscle imbalance is simply an imbalance between the strength (activation) and length (deactivation) of two or more opposing muscles. When this happens it can lead to incorrect bio-mechanics when running, and then to muscle and tendon injuries .

It's very easy to see why this is such a large cause of shin splints. It's very common for anyone involved in physical activity to acquire muscle imbalances. One of the most common imbalanced involves the lower legs (shins) and so causes shin splints.

Major Cause #3: Postural Problems

Postural problems cause not only back and muscle problems but they cause the body to displace it's weight correctly over the shins. Repetitive activity with a postural problem will eventually lead to shin splints.

Postural problems can come about also due to muscle imbalances - through sport, work or poor habits - or genetics. But either way, postural problems can be significantly improved through corrective exercises.

Failing that you can buy a pair of shin splint sleeves at a cost of about £30-£35.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat