How is the training going

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

How is the training going

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 am

I am seeing lots and lots of people running around South Kintyre but not hearing any training stories or moans, groans or complaints!

Howzit all going runners?

As far as I am concerned...this is the first 10k I have ever entered and I am finding the training quite different, and more challenging, from that for a half or full marathon....maybe more enjoyable though....the faster, sharper and speedier sessions certainly gets the adrenaline and endorphins going!! also the imagination!! it is great what comes to mind as you are tearing around the roads..............in the groove.

Would love to hear how others are getting on....

Why not add a bit on here after every training session? that would add to the fun and make the training easier.....somehow! :roll:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 pm

OK, just back in from a real good blast down to the Mill Turn and back round Macharioch way....just for those of you who know where I live and the roads around here!

It certainly was great fun tonight in the bright sunshine and light,, cool breeze.

My heart rate monitor is still beebing away but it is showing the BPM slowing down now....

Aye, it really was fantastic tonight...wish I could go out again.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 pm

It's really great weather for running in just now - I couldn't wait to get out and run in the sunshine this evening :) It's so much harder to go out the door when it's raining or blowing a gale, as it seemed to do for most of March, or it felt like it anyway!

Half Marathon training is going well - I think! Managed to get a good long run in yesterday, my longest ever, so I'm well pleased :D

Suddenly the pressure is on as the MOK run is only next month ...
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Joan Brown » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Wish I could be training for the 10k by running around south Kintyre- the scenery would be much more inspiring than here in Cumbernauld. However the weather has been wonderful here today and I was glad to be out running this morning in the sunshine for a change. Quite a few other runners about, some probably training for the Womens 10k in Glasgow next month which I would be doing but for family commitments- and thats how I discovered the Kintyre run while trying to find a 10k around the same time.Really looking forward to it now
Jo Brown
Joan Brown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby DJD » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:37 am

Glad you have started this forum 4th General,it is interesting hearing how other people's training is coming along,also it does give other runners more incentive,to get out and run.

l am on a taper for a race so l won't be posting much but will look forward to reading other runners post.

Good luck with your 10k training it is different and one always wishes one were younger.also good luck to everyone else,enjoyment is the key.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Yeah--very good idea 4th Gen--should help with the motivation for all those training.

My own preparation was going well up to six weeks ago, when I agreed to help out an old friend and turn out for his football team. Yep-you've guessed it---pulled my groin, meaning a four week lay off. Started back again two weeks ago and boy it's hard going. Still not back to where I was six weeks ago, but improving with almost every run.

6.5 miles yesterday was a struggle, but 6.7 this morning was a doddle--wierd isn't it.

Was asked to play football this weekend again, but politely declined the offer!!
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Good for you Rab NAE MERR FUTTBA!! the two most certainly dont go.

I saw you pounding up the Big Kiln last Thursday night I think it was with your high visibility yellow shirt.

You have plenty time to get back to peak fitness for the half marathon.

As DJD says, it is all about enjoyment....some days/nights it all just flows and you get in the groove, time flies, the endorphins, adrenaline and imagination flows and it is all GREAT.

But even when it is a struggle the benefits are the same and maybe even more! coz you are training your mind to carry on when you dont feel like it.

Hoping to get out again tonight but this damn farm work sometimes spoils my plans and also leaves me tired......but, I'm adicted again!! I'll be out!

Keep at it folks and tell us all about it.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tony » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Training for my first 10k is going really well - the beautiful weather over the last few days has helped and made it all a bit easier. I aim for a faster time than you, 4th gen!!
tony
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:53 am

That's good Tony, if we are in the same area in the latter stages we can have a right good race down the MAin Street, round the Royal Corner (still cant believe that place is closed) and along the Esplanade....of course you might be a mile in front of me and I'll not see you at all!

But sure EVERYONE WINS in events like this!! train as had as you can, enjoy every step of it in this magnificent weather, reap the health benefits and the "feel good" that comes with it then savour the atmosphere, camararderie and fun on race day....and the whole weekend.

Managed a late evening tear round the hill here last night......somehow always about 25 seconds slower if I do it after the evening meal...even though I give it time to digest....just that it suits the household and farm work schedule a bit better.

Even though my race is the 10k (6.3 miles) I will need to get some long runs (12+) in and some speed work....I find it really hard to do speed work on the road, should really head for the treadmill but again time constraints come into play....
Never been in the Aqualibrium gym yet either and would need to spend time getting inducted.

Keep at it runners!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:06 am

Speaking about the Aqualibrium,had a good session on the treadmill last night,did a mile w/up 7X800m(300m rec) mile w/d just to keep me sharp,great machines,the only thing is that you get very hot in the gym and a fan pointing at the treadmills for the summer would nice,just to take the heat away from the body,other than that its the next best thing to a track.

Yes your right 4th gen it is hard to do speed work on the road also its even harder to do speed work by oneself.

There are a couple of us meet on a Sunday for a LSR (long slow run) at 8am at the Aqualibrim, we would welcome anyone who wants to tag along,the more the merrier.Most people know this for thos that don't,the LSR is the bases of good running,so if you can get at least a 90min run in every week you will come on leaps and bounds.(but do build up to it.).

Smiling hides the pain!!!
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Did a 5 mile tempo run today. Still don't think that I can maintain that pace for 13 miles in seven and a half weeks time. Felt pretty good at the end though, so you never know.

DJD--my only problem with running on treadmills is that it's really boring. I much prefer to be out in the elements, training in conditions that I might hit on the day. That said, I do intend to give tomorrow's interval training session a go at the gym.

You're spot on re the heat--the second treadmill form the left gives you a right good blast from the air-con unit though :wink:

For anyone looking in, the Sunday runs with DJD and co are a pleasure--good company, good banter and a sharing of running knowledge. My lifestyle doesn't allow a regular early start on a Sunday though :lol:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:11 pm

Well, I did my intervals session on the road tonight. Don't know if I push myself as hard compared to the treadmill, as it certainly feels more comfortable doing my speed sessions outside. But there's no way I could spend a beautiful sunny evening on the treadmill!

I'm finding it more and more difficult to motivate myself to run on a treadmill now, even if it's wet and windy outside. I just get so hot ... but I don't normally run on the second treadmill to the left, so I'll give it a go next time I'm in Aqualibrium. Won't be for a while if this good weather keeps up :)
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm

Rabacd/iceblue

Yes your right they are boring which is the down side of the treadmill,and ref to the 2nd treadmill l will keep that in mind,cheers.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

10K MOK RUN

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:51 pm

The good weather has certainly motivated me this week to push myself that bit harder. Long may it continue but I get that feeling it's not going to last !! It's Scotland of course. Anyway its great to hear how others are getting on with their training.

I am doing the 10k with my goal on doing a half marathon at some point. Once you get that adrenaline buzz you cant stop....its a great feeling I am sure you will all agree. MAchrihanish Beach is my training ground and the scenery is breath taking . No wonder runners from outside voted it one of the best scenic routes for a half marathon.

I look forward to training with jogscotland here soon. Thanks to Fiona, Trudy and Joan who helped get it up and running.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Yep, the good weather certainly makes training easier and more enjoyable.

Managed a race round the hill here in the near dark tonight. Enjoyed it greatly, there are enough uphill stretches and downhill speedy sections and flat sections to make it a real good work out, incorporating all the different kinds of 10k training.

I time every run.....ever since I started at it 10 years ago!! I am sure a training diary or log is great for motivation. Tonight was my second fastest ever on that route. But I really should not try and shave a few seconds off the same route every night...some nights the time will go up and the same route night after night makes things a bit stale (beautiful as the view usually is)

So, changing the route and pace is a must, maybe the time trial should only be once a week..........Runners World tells me that even 10k trainers need to put in "long" runs up to 12 miles or even more....just to build stamina for the big day.

That was a very interesting article on skipping in the Record earlier in the week. That is something we can do on a wet and windy cold night...........it certainy does raise the heart rate and am sure does a huge amount of good, you dont even need a rope.......a kid on rope would do!!

I have a stepper as well. Just cost about £12 in Woolworths a few years ago, but a block of wood would do just as well, about 6" 8" or 10" high. Up and down in every combination of steps, hops, jumps and skips you can imagine, be creative! do it to music or football on TV, time flies and that activity uses as much energy per minute as running..........
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat