Great North Run

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Great North Run

Postby Ags » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:22 pm

8 of us local runners are travelling to Newcastle to compete in the U.K's largest half marathon the Great North Run on Sunday 18th September.
We are raising money for the charity Get Kids Going to help disabled children and young adults participate in sport and sporting events. We hope to raise £2500.00 which would purchase one modified wheelchair for London 2012. We have over £1000 already thanks to several events we have held or taken part in recently and also thanks to some local business's.
We would however appreciate all the sponsors we can get to help reach our target.
Please please dig deep and sponsor us at www.justgiving.com/newcastle9 (our chauffeur makes 9).
Many thanks Agnes, Alison, Fiona, Frances, Gail,Joan, Kareen and Moira
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Great North Run

Postby Lorna Mac » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Good on you girls, what a worthwhile charity and what a great event to be participating in. I hope you all have an great time and an amazing experience.
Lorna Mac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ags » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Many thanks Lorna, it has been a great summer clocking up the miles. You have a great day on Sunday :)
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Ags wrote:8 of us local runners are travelling to Newcastle to compete in the U.K's largest half marathon the Great North Run on Sunday 18th September.
We are raising money for the charity Get Kids Going to help disabled children and young adults participate in sport and sporting events. We hope to raise £2500.00 which would purchase one modified wheelchair for London 2012. We have over £1000 already thanks to several events we have held or taken part in recently and also thanks to some local business's.
We would however appreciate all the sponsors we can get to help reach our target.
Please please dig deep and sponsor us at http://www.justgiving.com/newcastle9 (our chauffeur makes 9).
Many thanks Agnes, Alison, Fiona, Frances, Gail,Joan, Kareen and Moira

Bump 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:06 pm

A HUGE thank you to all those who have donated through the Just Giving website and to those who have donated offline thru other forms of donations and to all the local business's who have sponsored us . :D

The count down is on ... a week today it will all be over with . :D :(

Its going to be an amazing atmosphere with over 54,0000 runners taking part , I think its one of those races you have to do before you die !! lol

Our t shirts are ready for printing and the tartan sewn on our skorts . Had to add a little Scottish culture somewhere .... :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tilly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Better be praying these gale force winds die down in Newcastle before Sunday, unless we can garauntee it'll be at our backs.
Miles done today so have caught up with the rest of the group yeehaa! Looking forward to this run still wondering if this will be the first of many.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm

To date we have reached our goal and beyond so thanks again to everyone for their kind donation and of course words of encouragement . The donations continue to pour in .... :D :D

Our final Run tonight felt good as we all look forward to Sunday now . :)

The ' tartan 'skorts look great girls , we will definitely be bringing a touch of Scottish culture to the GNR .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Everyone has been so kind, cannot believe we have reached the target, have enjoyed all the fundraising also, very teambuilding, what will we do next????

Big thanks to all who have donated, cant wait to experience the atmosphere of this great race again. :D

Not so sure about the "culture" pans lass, more like scottish shenanigans lol :lol:

Must admit tartan skorts are a bit of an eyecatcher 8)
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 am

You've got me totally lost on the skort thing ladies...I'm going to go for something like a kilt??

All the best to you all. Preparation is key, but nothing beats the thrill of being part of a race and this one is the biggest. I must admit to being a wee bit envious. I will look out for you alll on the TV come Sunday morning. Have a great run :D :D
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:59 am

Good luck ladies, have a fab weekend :D
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Anyone know how they got on today? Watched, but couldn`t spot the tsartan skorts!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 pm

race report to follow folks just not had the time to post it yet but one word sums it all up ...AMAZING !!!! We are still on a high from Sunday ..we all loved every minute of it from start to finish . I can now see why they call it is the most ionic half marathon in the world , it exceeded my expectations !!

Photos and race report to follow so watch this space ....... :) :D :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Where to begin. I have never done a half marathon before and have never done a race ( or run in my case) review before either.
This was meant to be a joint effort on the journey home on Monday but by the time we got round to it everybody was ready for a nap! It must have been the hour at Braehead that left us so tired.
Here goes, and girls, please correct me if I have missed anything out!
Race day dawned bright but cool for the Newcastle9.
Our chauffeur had instructed us, that because of road closures etc we had to be left our hotel by 8am. He failed to realise that with 8 women he should really have told us to be there at least 15 minutes before he really wanted us there.
Not to worry though, being a very well organised chauffeur he had plan B at the ready. Ian dropped us at the nearest metro station to our hotel and we joined an underground train full of runners heading to Haymarket and the start of the world's largest half marathon.
There were quite a few giggles before we headed to our official starting point but
we were all surprisingly calm.
At the start the chat was good. Already stories were making us feel very humbled to be part of this day. The warm up would have been fun if we had room to move, but the sight before us was incredible with runners covering both sides of the motorway in central Newcastle.
The Red Arrows swoop over the start was extremely emotional for most of us as the commentators paid tribute to Red4 and the arrows first flight without him.
Mo Farrah fired the starting pistol and they were off! Forty minutes later when we crossed the starting line he was still high-fiving the runners and wishing us well.
As we headed for the Tyne Bridge the road splits in two quite early on. Entering the tunnels were the first of many roars of “oggy oggy oggy”. With all runners participating in the yelling these were real goosebump moments. I think I can speak for us all when I say we couldn't stop grinning!
It was great just after crossing the Tyne Bridge to get a yell from Ex-Campbeltonian Fergus Kerr. We had thought it would be lovely to see a friendly face cheering us on but hadn't counted on the locals cheering us on by our names on our race numbers, the tartan on our skorts or skapris, or the wee saltires on our faces.
The bands playing at nearly every mile, the north eastern humour, the kids lining the roads looking for high fives or soaking us with water bottles just added to the spirit of the day.
We were told the course was very hilly and even the chauffeur driving the minibus to the finish thought it was hilly. I can honestly say none of us found the hills extremely challenging. Were we so caught up in the atmosphere? do the crowds of people running help so that you aren't so aware of what lies ahead ? or does the hill training pay off?? Hills?? These weren't hills :-)!!
The GNR certainly isn't the most scenic on the planet but the crowds must be the noisiest and the most generous.....icepoles, sweeties, biscuits, G+T's at mile 10 (how did we miss that?). There were also lots of official water stops and at least a couple of sports drink stands, loads of music and two cool off shower areas.
The Red Arrows display came when we were around mile 10 giving us that last wee bit of encouragement to persevere to the end.
On to mile 11 and a wee climb before a very sharp drop down to the seafront.....the downhill was harder than the up!
It was very congested by this point. The road is narrower so dodging the walkers was much more tricky but we did it!
All four of us newbies ran the whole way and are extremely proud of ourselves and also grateful to the others for the support.
The race is extremely busy and probably not ideal to be gaining pb's for you serious runners but for atmosphere and fun, 10 out of 10.
We headed to the charity village for Tea and a Mars Bar from the Get Kids Going crew before we had official pictures handing over our cheque for £3000 to them. Ian then bought us a very well appreciated drink.
The entertainment in the beer tent as we queued for our refreshment was Tony Audenshaw (Emmerdale's Bob Hope) and his band. He is a regular face at the GNR and had loads of energy on stage.
What a truly amazing and memorable day. We said we would do one and one only half marathon! Would we do it again? Most definitely!!
I sent this to the girls to read before posting and a reply came back from one who shall remain nameless: “that sounds great, no mention of snoring, raiding each others rooms, lost phones or lost purses”. :lol:
What wonderful memories of a fabulous weekend and a massive thanks from all of us to the very brave (or mad) Ian McGeachy for taking the travel stress out of our weekend by driving us and putting up with us :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Ags, what a fantastic review/report! It sounds like you all had a great day, and you did so well. We always watch the GNR, I only wish that I could take part. That`s the first time I`ve ever read a report on the run, it was most interesting and enlightening. Thank you, and well done to all of you ladies, oh, and well done your chauffeur as well!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

numberplease wrote:Ags, what a fantastic review/report! It sounds like you all had a great day, and you did so well. We always watch the GNR, I only wish that I could take part. That`s the first time I`ve ever read a report on the run, it was most interesting and enlightening. Thank you, and well done to all of you ladies, oh, and well done your chauffeur as well!

thanks for your nice comment numberplease :D

Great race report Ags .....you summed it up perfectly !!

Fantastic weekend indeed and well done again to our first haf marathon runners Ags,Joan,Kareen and Alison :) :( :) the hard work paid off thanks to our coach finao28 :D

The endorphins are still flying :D

photos to follow
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat