Balloch to Clydebank Half Today

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Balloch to Clydebank Half Today

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 pm

A great day was had by all the local runners who took part in the above Half Marathon today. Some great times, but I will let those runners tell you about their sucesses. For me, I thought that it was a great chance to get a good time under the belt. I just wish that I had stayed in Dumbarton last night, rather than the 5 a.m. start that me and DJD had.

I was unsure how to run this one---go out, guns blazing and try to hold on----or take the conservative approach and ease my way through the first eight or nine miles and go for the big finish. I went for the former---plugged 1 hour 35 mins into the Garmin "Virtual Partner" and set off,

First mile was always going to be fast 6 mins 40 secs, pretty flat with a wee bit of an incline. The next six were going pretty well--still under 7 minute mile pace and a third of a mile ahead of Virtual Hector :lol: 47 mins through mile seven

Saw a friendly face, or should that be "back" about 50 yards ahead, Kevin Scally, and thought that I may soon be up alongside of him. Not to be---Kevin's pacing was spot on and he went away from me, as I started to struggle with the pace. People were now passing me---not good for the morale.
8 miles came and I heard a voice on my shoulder saying "You,ve come a long way today". I was wondering if this was in my head, cos I had felt that I was running well. A guy passed me ---we chewed the fat for about a hundred yards. He had been reading "Campbeltown Running Club" on the back of my vest, and thought that he would gee me up a wee bit.

As he went about ten yards ahead he told me to watch out for the hill at mile nine. It wasn't a hill, more of an incline but enough to put a tired man through about a minute and a half of torture.

Pace slowed a wee bit to just over seven minute mile pace, but it felt a lot slower. The lead on "The Wee Man" was reducing to about 0.3 of a mile.

Time to just dig in, get the head down and try to hold on. Past mile ten---70 mins, but slowing. After eleven heard another friendly voice "How's it going Rab" It was Madscotsbloke's brother, CRAIG!!. A real nice bloke who was heading for a great time, and had got his pacing spot on. He looked strong as he strode away from me. "I wish I had ran with Craig, I thought" I had spoken to him before the start, but he wasn't sure what time he was looking for. I knew he was on a good one.

Another uphill to the 12 mile marker, but nearly home. Tired, I hit the home straight and managed to hold off a late challenge from a woman from Garscube Harriers, I think.

Time-------------------------------------------------------------1 hour 33 mins and 24 seconds. Delighted!!!!

MSB, Craig's time somewher in the 1.32s

14 mins off his PB. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Rab
Last edited by Rabmacd on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Balloch to Clydebank Half Today

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm

well done Robert, great report too...."virtual Hector" ! :lol:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby peenkles21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Loving the virtual Hector!

Well done everyone that was running on Saturday, your times were so good we heard the news in New Zealand!!!
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote:well done Robert, great report too...."virtual Hector" ! :lol:
:D :D

Liked it too , well done Robert . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am

Great race report Robert, I can still feel the pain on those inclines yet.

Absolutely loved this race, probably as it was my first half Ienjoyed it even more with no pressure of PB's etc.

I also didn't really know how to run it, but DJD said he would run with me so had set my "Virtual Hector" (that's going to stick now you know :lol: ), to 1:45. On the start line DJD told me he had set his to 1:39 :o :o , and told me to stick with him for the first 8 miles and I would be fine :o :o :o . Didn't know how this was going to go but thought, I'll give it a go. First 6 miles were realy enjoyable, think my mile splits ranged between 7:18 - 7:30's, so couldn't believe I could still speak to DJD at that point. By the time the inclines started, I had to let DJD go on his way but maintained my pace til about about mile 10 when I started to get a stitch but didn't seem to last too long. Mile 12 was hit with another incline which seemed to zap any energy I had left, just managed keep it together and with alot of encouragement from a Bellahouston Road runner crossed the finish line with a Garmin time of 1:40.57. :D Great order!

Must thank Donald loads for pacing me for the first 7-8 although, definitely helped alot.

Well done everyone, great day.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby madscotsbloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Rab,

Brilliant wee report!!!

Did Gary have a strange look on his face when you called him "gary"??? :?

His name is Craig hahahahahahaha

Excellent times all.

MSB

Rab, on a more serious note, Craig is really knocking the miles in this weather as he is doing the Edinburgh Marathon, he is also running comfortable sub 40m minute 10k's now. Still, at least I got the looks eh? :lol:
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Edit in the report to come. Sorry Craig---I was sure you're name was Gary :lol:

Gav

aye he told me, before the start, about his improvement in times.

Note to self--------Craig!, Craig!, Craig! You just know that i'm going to call him Gary at the Crinan Puffer :oops:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Really enjoyed yesterdays run, enjoyed the company from all even better. The race reports are fab to read from Rab and Katie. Nice accolade to Hector ", very fitting.I can mind trying to keep up with him at one of MoK, phew no chance" lol.

Some real bit between the teeth running from all yesterday. Katie, you were setting the pace not me,l was on your shoulder and you were doing the work.Now that you have set your bench mark on the 1/2m, the 1:30s (thirties something) will not be a problem.

Great day and a kind thanks to Rab for driving up there.

Will run it again next year and hopefully more from CRC will be there to fly the flag for Campbeltown now that other clubs are starting to notice the running vest of our club.

Well done all.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Brilliant time Katfer , great effort indeed :D

I bet that is you converted to half marathon races now :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 pm

madscotsbloke wrote:Rab,
Did Gary have a strange look on his face when you called him "gary"??? :?

His name is Craig hahahahahahaha

Reminds me of the classic "Only fools and horses" sketch, about the potential names of Rodney and Cassandra's first child.

"If it's a girl, they're going to call her Sigourney, after the actress Sigourney weaver. If it's a boy,they're going to call him Craig------after Gary" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just call me Trigger.

Katie-- a great time for your first half. You can only get better now--well done.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Yes, well done everyone, great reports and even better times!!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:22 am

Yip great race report Rab :D Really enjoyed the race yesterday too even although I was miles behind all you speed demons and apart from running most of it with my laces loose!

A big well done to everyone who took part - amazing times, especially to Stuart and Katie on their first half marathons!! Douglas kindly took a few photos at the finish line (sorry Kenny you were too fast and we missed you!) hopefully have them on CRC website along with race report/times within a few times.

The race certainly gave me that little motivational push I've been lacking the past few weeks and reminded me how much I love race day! Even more excited (and petrified!) when my london marathon race info came in the post today :<>
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby madscotsbloke » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:26 am

Rab,

Do it!!!! It shall be his new name...... :lol:

of course we have to say it in true tank commander stylee :P

MSB
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fiona28 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 am

well done to all, elaine had suggested this was a good one to do - brilliant time for your first half katfer - swapping for the MOK :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 pm

fiona28 wrote:well done to all, elaine had suggested this was a good one to do - brilliant time for your first half katfer - swapping for the MOK :D

Thanks Fiona. Yip good flatish course to get a PB, definitely one to put in your diary next year. No, will stick with the 10k for the MOK, then I'm back in time to see the kids races :lol: :lol:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat