Gigha 2011

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Gigha 2011

Postby DJD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am

Gigha Race 2011

The date is provisionally set for Saturday the 9th April 2011 (on the hear say of committee member)

Times to be confirmed at a later date for the Run/Walk/Cycle events.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Gigha 2011

Postby DJD » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:36 pm

The date has been confirmed to CRC and no doubt other groups.Just waiting on the confirmation of the time of each event for Run/Walk/Cycle as l think they are ajusting the original times they had in mind for the day.

Sat 9th April 2011 Gigha.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:19 pm

no ceilidh this year :(
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Gigha Challenge 2011

Has now been confirmed

Saturday 9th April 2011

Walk/Cycle/Run tart 11.2 miles

Start / Finish point is at the craft shop

Walkers 11am
Runners..1pm
Cyclists..2 pm.

I will put a poster up in the Aqualibrium or details and entry forms can be had at E: gighachallenge@btinternet.com

Telephone 07881426616
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm

fiona28 wrote:no ceilidh this year :(

Fiona, is that just for you or is there no Ceilidh full stop?

Really fancy this one so will be entering so I'm committed. Start of the caravan season too so just over the water! :-)

Is the ferry on the hour or every half hour?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Ship

No ceilidh full stop this year but a wee get together in the pub instead, could be just as good !! :D Also have put in an ask for those not quite upto the full 11 odd miles and the organisers are happy to have along people to run from shop to south tip and back giving them a 5k, so hopefully Jogscotland will be able to enter some new Wee Toon Runners. :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm

That's me entered for Gigha, anyone else heading over?
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am

I have entry forms in Aqualibrium if anyone wants them.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tilly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Well one to all who particpated in todays Gigha challenge, especially those who have come along and completed their first 5k. How lucky were we? the sun shone for all us walkers/ joggers/runners/ cyclists today, :D . Great event and well managed. Lovely medal, goody bag, and food/t/coffee, great to see the recycling coming into it with the homemade bags. I'm sure everyone enjoyed their day. Will hope to make this an annual trip and bring the rest of my family next time, but will be over before then.

Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Well done to all today and an extra well done to Tilly and Ags for their second and third in the 5k. Great to have a group travelling from JS again. An extra big well done to the girls from the beginner/intermediate groups some of you who haven't participated before - :D

Many thanks to the organisers for all their hard work and for the after run yummies :D

Great day out - the kids and dogs enjoyed it too 8)
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Have to admit, it was Gigha best yet from over the years and well attended.When I first new that there was going to be a 5k added to it, I did raise an eyebrow, (my own opinion,feel free to ask why when you next see me if you want to know why). How wrong I was and I am not scared to admit it, it really added to the occassion and great to see all the effort that was put in at the end of the run in." Terrific Ladies " well done to all of you.Only one thing l think all should start at the same time even if it means heading down towards the south pier first.

Yes a fine gathering for all, and very well organised.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Disappointed that I was unable to run today but it didn't matter as it was worth it just to go along and watch everyone else take part in this great event . Well done to all who took part especially our JS girls who participated in Gighas first 5 K and ran well for a spot on the winners podium . The Gigha challenge is an event for all abilities so well done to the organisers for making this a great family day out . I think Ruaridh and Millie enjoyed it too :D

I hope the photos turned out ok SCD and sorry for missing you at the finish line along with a few of the others .Was up the other end of the island and had to thumb a lift back thanks to my walking buddy Heather . Thanks for the company today H McP :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm

What a great day Gigha! Thank you!! I have never done a 5k before and I can't say i particularly enjoyed it but I always find the first mile/mile and a half the most difficult whatever distance I am running! The weather was amazing but it was very warm pounding these wee 3 miles.
The times for the big race were amazing......well done all of you!
I will be interested to hear why you were so against the 5k DJD but absolutely agree that it would be really good (particularly for morale) all runners setting off together next year?
It was also good to know that you are able to run 5k and then cycle the 11.2......maybe a swim back to Tayinloan included next year :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 am

A great day out today!

Thanks very much Gigha.

We have a family outing over there a couple of times in the year, since the weans have been, ehhhh,,,,,,,,weans. The feel of the place is fantastic.

DJD, Tanya's on the blower anytime :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done to Kareen, Ags and Peter. Hot performances on a really hot day. Fantastic.

Tommy----keep on running young fla------Well done on getting First.
Hector----stop running so fast, so that I can at least worry you a wee bit.
Rab----- (note to self) must try harder

Jennifer Reid----1st on the podium again. You have the ability to get that sub 1;40. Cracking run and are what pacing is all about.

Katie, 3rd on the podium. The only person that you have to run against is YOU, You can do it, sub 1.40 for you as well on your next half.

A great race, great toon folk, and a great time had by all

And a great representation from CRC. All winners in my book.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 am

I agree would be good for all to set out together but dont think all should go to the south tip - the pace the long run runners set of at was frightening enough for me yesterday - the first couple of miles were 8 mins!!! (I watched them all overtake Jennifer Reid and knew they were going wrong as she is very good at self pacing so me n moi stayed behind her - the whole way :lol:)
Seriously though how deflating for the beginners/intermediates to be beside those runners, we all know too fast a start can kill our whole race,they would probably get caught in the momentum and then have a horrible run after that. :(

My vote is to allow them their own race without us putting them off, starting together would be nice though :D

Mind you next year most of them will be doing the 11.5 after doing their first half marathon at GNR 8) :D

And by the way Jennifer you were beautiful to watch yesterday, you know what you are doing girl, looking so in control the whole way, excellent job done yesterday :D x
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat