Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - 17th April 2011 UPDATED with photos

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - Sunday 17th April 2011

Postby Davie P » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes, great race!!! Brilliant route and conditions were great - faired better than Gigha for sure. Well done to everyone including the orgnisers who did a first class job! Thanks to Jocelyn and Claire for keeping me going this week. :D Here are some photos Eilidh took for me - thanks. I've some of the presentations too and will post these once I know the official results have been posted too.

Start

Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Davie P » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Runners

Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Davie P » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Finish

Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:35 pm

fiona28 wrote:who was first vet then?? I take it iceblue is too young for this category??

Fiona Greer was 1st Vet today. Can't believe it, stripped of my title :lol:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Davie P » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Katfer wrote:
fiona28 wrote:who was first vet then?? I take it iceblue is too young for this category??

Fiona Greer was 1st Vet today. Can't believe it, stripped of my title :lol:

Never mind Katfer, I have some photos of you with it that no-one can take away! The memories!! :D :mrgreen:
Davie P
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Disappointed I missed this race too . :( But knee getting better each day with rest and exercise . :)

Great photos and well done to everyone who took part and to all the winners . You still a winner Katfer , title or not !!!

Rab and Hendrie ...what great photos of you guys running with both feet in the air !! :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks Pans Lass. I think that I must have deliberately jumped up in the air as that photo was being taken!!!

Well done to the organisers for a great race yesterday. Great representation from the toon. There must have been around 20 Campbeltonians there.Great performances from everyone. Shame about the place mix up girls.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 am

The official results from Sunday's Crinan Puffer 8.5 can be found here
http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web ... &Itemid=98

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Here is the official press release from the Mid Argyll Triathlon and Clycle club with some photos below (I'll add captions tomorrow night when I get time). As Rab posted the full results can be seen at http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/hom ... /cpres.xls

Scottish Sea Farms Crinan Puffer 8.5 (2011)

118 runners competed in the Scottish Sea Farms Crinan Puffer 8.5 on Sunday 17th April 2011.

The 10am start at Pier Square in Ardrishaig deterred neither the racers nor the large crowd of supporters. Strathclyde Police closed briefly the A83 to allow the runners to start on the main road.

On the whistle, the pack was off, with the front-runners already battling to establish race position. Soon everyone was on the banks of the Crinan Canal - next stop Crinan.

The slightly overcast, cool, and almost windless conditions were ideal for this type of event.

Mid-Argyll Triathlon Club members were out in force to marshal the various road junction and bridges along the route. Having a busman’s holiday was Mid Argyll Community Pool manager Mark Kelly, who was handing out water at Baddens, and Health Visitor Dorothy Clark showed her caring side by doing the same at Barnakill.

There were running battles all over the place, but these particular ones didn’t require police intervention.

Out in front, were Lyon, Barbour (Strathblane) and Docwra (Shandon) - who was the only barefoot runner, all setting a blistering pace. Just behind, were Law and Whiston (both Ardrishaig), and Morran (Campbeltown), who, for his 23 years, was an equal match for the two gnarly veterans.

Talented David McAlister (17) got out of bed early to represent Mid Argyll youth, sticking with those who should be wearing slippers as opposed to running shoes!

The ladies were strongly represented at the front of the field by Thompson (Glasgow) and McCallum (Clydebank), both of whom were an equal match for most of the men.

Neil Souden couldn’t be persuaded to run; instead he lead a team of six Red Cross volunteers. There were no major injury issues during the event - just a few blisters, a strained ankle, and some emergency transport to the finish for one runner who couldn’t undo a stitch and therefore withdrew!

At Cairnbaan, the residents cheered on the event. Followers and supporters, in a fleet of cars, stopped to cheer on family and friends from the opposite bank of the canal.

Mid Argyll Pipe Band members, led by Struan Thorpe, played at various locations, stirring the blood of the athletes.

Lyon left Bute like a lamb and finished like a lion, crossing the finish line in first place. With an average pace of 6mins 02secs per mile, no one could match him on the day - but only 39 seconds separated 1st and 3rd places.

Meanwhile, Whiston was having pacing problems; his half-mile splits were all over the place, but he was making quick-paced slow progress in reeling in Law.

Morran took his opportunity, and overtook Whiston not far from the finish, but the wily dog was not going to roll over - as he bounded past the pup.

Morran’s attack was quashed and he had no response. Law could not be caught.

As official timekeeper, Mid Argyll Athletic Club’s Bill MacCallum had some inspiring times to record. He witnessed the elation and relief at the finish line, and he saw many happy people.

All the runners received a goodie bag.

The event’s lead organiser, Richard Barrie, thanked Scottish Sea Farms, Storvik Ltd, The Cooperative Membership, Mid Argyll Council on Alcohol and Drugs, Argyll & Bute Council Road Safety Unit and Thomas Tunnock Ltd. for their involvement with the event.

He acknowledged also the work of the marshals and of the British Red Cross, the assistance of Charlie Greenlees and Colin Hunter with photography duties, and the invaluable support rendered by Anderson’s Coaches, Strathclyde Police, and Mid Argyll Pipe Band.

The runners and supporters were very responsive - a really good crowd - and gave the event organisers positive feedback.

Mid Argyll Tri Club member and breast cancer fundraiser Fee Corner presented the prizes after her inspiring run. Donations on the day raised £280 for her cause - the Mid Argyll Hospital Chemotherapy Unit.

Scottish Sea Farms Crinan Puffer 8.5 2011- Prize Winners
Junior Male

1st David McAlister –Mid Argyll 56.59
2nd William Salton – Mid Argyll 74.05
3rd

Female Senior
1st Claire Thompson - Glasgow 57.21
2nd Marina MacCallum - Clydebank 58.19
3rd Elena Adair – Mid Argyll 63.18

Male Senior
1st Shaun Lyon – Isle Of Bute 51.12
2nd Ian Docwra – Shandon 51.32
3rd Tommy Morran – Campbeltown 54.02

Female Vet
1st Fiona Greer – Old Kilpatrick 62.44
2nd Katie Ferguson – Campbeltown 65.04
3rd Fiona Irwin - Campbeltown 67.16

Male Vet
1st Hendrie Barbour – Strathblane 51.51
2nd Andrew Law – Mid Argyll 52.39
3rd Stephen Whiston – Mid Argyll 53.49

Local Female
1st Eleana Adair – Mid Argyll 63.18

Local Male
1st Andrew Law – Mid Argyll 52.39

The event’s lead organiser, Richard Barrie

3rd Elena Adair – Mid Argyll 63.18

2nd Marina MacCallum - Clydebank 58.19

1st Claire Thompson - Glasgow 57.21

Male Senior3rd Tommy "Rab" :mrgreen: Morran – Campbeltown 54.02 picked up by Robert McDonald

Male Senior2nd Ian Docwra – Shandon 51.32

Male Senior1st Shaun Lyon – Isle Of Bute 51.12

Female Vet 4th Jocelyn Richard

Female Vet 3rd Fiona Irwin - Campbeltown 67.16

Female Vet 2nd Katie Ferguson – Campbeltown 65.04

Female Vet 1st Fiona Greer – Old Kilpatrick 62.44 - No.133

Male Vet 3rd Stephen Whiston – Mid Argyll 53.4

Male Vet 2nd Andrew Law – Mid Argyll 52.39

Male Vet 1st Hendrie Barbour – Strathblane 51.51

Local Female1st Eleana Adair – Mid Argyll 63.18 and Local Male 1st Andrew Law – Mid Argyll 52.39

Next time Tina, remember to give me a teacake!! :mrgreen:

Look at this one closer - look at the kid to the right!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny, one for you. :mrgreen:

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - 17th April 2011 UPDATED with photos

Postby elainemck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Well done guys, looks like a great race! Race report now on crc website too.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby FeeCorner » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 am

Well done to all the Campbeltown crew...whoever was first female vet...I think you were all amazing and did so well. see you may 29th!
FeeCorner
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby fiona28 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Hey fee, hope you keeping well, hows the Inverary crew doing :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby FeeCorner » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I am doing fine thanks...bald as a coot but fine! 5/6 treatment due tomorrow. Am doing three charity runs with the puffer the first one, the Jail break the second and your wonderful 10k as the third....the Puffer raised an amazing £300 on the day for the Mid Argyll Chemo unit about to open.
FeeCorner
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Fee

Sorry I missed the Crinian Puffer , old knee being playin up but not complaining , so didn't get to catch up with you but glad to hear you are doing well and still running thru your treatment , amazing . !! You are an inspiration to all of us runners . . Do you have a donation website like just giving so I can give you a donation for the Mid argyll chemo unit .

See you at the MOK :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby FeeCorner » Mon May 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks pans Lass...I have a donation site for breast cancer http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/FionaCorner The Mid Argyll Unit is too small so far to be on any sites and so cash donations ect go to them direct and can be sent to me Fiona Corner, Claonairigh house, Bridge of Douglas, Argyll, PA328XT. I have had fantastic support every step of the way and am feeling very humbled! The running is really helping me cope although pre apologies to all at the MOK...I am finding it REALLY hard to run in any type of head covering at all so may be running bald headed!! At least you wont miss me....any donations on the day very welcome!!
FeeCorner
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat