Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - 17th April 2011 UPDATED with photos

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - 17th April 2011 UPDATED with photos

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Crinan Puffer 8.5

Welcome to the Crinan Puffer 8.5 - 2011

10:00am, Sunday 17 April 2011

82 Athletes completed the inaugrual race .

This is a new running race in the Mid Argyll Athletics calendar, and is set to become an iconic race in Scotland. It is a Scottish Athletics sanctioned event promoted by Mid Argyll Athletics Club and organised by MATCC.
Starting in Ardrishaig and ending in Crinan this point to point race along the beautiful and picturesque Crinan Canal is sure to produce a fast time for athletes.

It can be argued that is is one of the flattest road/trail courses in Scotland, as over the 8.5 mile distance the canal only rises approximetly 75 feet over its length.

The organisers welcome all entrants and race information and the entry form can be downloaded from

ENTRY FORM- Go to Runners World

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/vi ... =57241&ms=

RACE INFORMATION

The Crinan Puffer 8.5 is expected to be very popular with a maximum entry limit of 150.

Facts & Figures

The Crinan Canal, constructed between 1793 and 1801 is 9 miles long and has 15 locks. It takes its name from the village of Crinan, which is located at its westerly end. It connects the village of Ardrishaig on Loch Gilp with the Sound of Jura and provides a navigable route between the Clyde and the Inner Hebrides. It was built for commercial Clyde puffers to travel between Glasgow and the West Highlands and was designed by Scots civil engineer John Rennie. Although it is still used by commercial craft, today it is primarily used mainly by yachting crafts.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Crinan Puffer 8.5mile - Sunday 17th April 2011

Postby DJD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 am

shame about the date for some of us,at least there is next year.No doubt there will be a big turn out fron Campbeltown as its a cracker of a distance and a fast course.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Aw gutted this has been changed to the date of the VLM, was looking forward to it in prep for the MOK, we will miss it again this year but I'm sure others will go and enjoy it! Will be there 2012!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Crinan Puffer 8.5 - 2011

Postby rabidcabbage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 am

Hello Running Peeps,

A wee tip off that entries for the 2011 Crinan Puffer 8.5 are now open.

150 places available but filling up quickly. It is a fast flat course with only 75 feet of rise from lowest to highest points.

So if you fancy coming along the race, starting in Ardrishaig, it is on Sunday 17th April 2011.

Entries via Mid Argyll Triathlon and Cycle Club website with a link to Runners World.

http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web ... &Itemid=98

I hope some of you can come along and race.

Best Wishes
Rabid
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Crinan Puffer 8.5 - 2011

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 pm

rabidcabbage wrote:Hello Running Peeps,

A wee tip off that entries for the 2011 Crinan Puffer 8.5 are now open.

150 places available but filling up quickly. It is a fast flat course with only 75 feet of rise from lowest to highest points.

So if you fancy coming along the race, starting in Ardrishaig, it is on Sunday 17th April 2011.

Entries via Mid Argyll Triathlon and Cycle Club website with a link to Runners World.

http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web ... &Itemid=98

I hope some of you can come along and race.

Best Wishes
Rabid

Merged this with above as we picked up on it on Sunday and posted already but certainly thanks for highlighting this and please continue to as it was just by pure chance we found this. :mrgreen:
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am

Hi Rabbi

Looking forward to Crinian Puffer 8.5 miler, one of my favourite races , great atmosphere, well organised, and its flat the whole way :D

Will try and get a bus load of us Wee Tooners to enter but ny the sound of things we will need to get our entries in quick !!

Shame it coincides with the VLM for those who would have loved to take part , always next year . !
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rabidcabbage » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 pm

The event date was changed for two reasons-

1/The organisers have to seek permission from British Waterways Scotland. As the canal operates on a commercial basis we were given permission to hold the event on a date that doesn't impede operations.

2/May is a really busy month athletics wise. ABCD 10K in Oban, 2010 had the Puffer the following weekend then Edinburgh Running Festival and finally MOK races. Choc-a-bloc.

Having an April event will allow the majority of Argyll athletes to have a bit of sport on our doorstep and allow recuperation.
Sorry to the VLMers but good luck.

I hope that clarifies the situation

Best Wishes
Rabid (lead organiser CP 8.5 2011)
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby elainemck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 pm

No problem rabid, totally understand, May is a busy running month! Just disappointed we can't make it, will hopefully be there next year :-)
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weebiddy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi,
I'm running the Crinan Puffer on Sunday but I'm not keen to hang about in Crinan after the race, I believe theres a bus travelling back to Ardrishaig at 1pm, but I can't stay that long. Would anyone like a lift from parking a car in Crinan to the start in return for a lift back after the race, if you see what I mean?

Cheers,
Liz
weebiddy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Everyone,

please remember to pack a bag that goes to the finish (think on a flight abroad, but, maybe not that much clothes for a two weeker :) ). Joking aside,you may be there for a while, so a bag of food, warm clothes, whatever you need after a race. Pack it and put your name and number on it, and it goes to the finish line. Best to do on Saturday night. That way, you still have time to get another printer cartridge from your very best friend :D ....

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Great run today from Ardrishaig to Crinan with great atmosphere and exceptional goody bags at the end.

One slight snag, got phone call when I got home, that I was not 1st Vet but 2nd Vet :( , never mind, an enjoyable day out was had.

Well done everyone.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jmr3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Oops...guess that makes me 4th Female Vet, and the kids have already eaten the egg!

Still was a great day out and a great run too. Thanks to all the organisers who made it such a success. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and look forward to next year.
jmr3
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Katfer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:47 pm

jmr3 wrote:Oops...guess that makes me 4th Female Vet, and the kids have already eaten the egg!

Haha, mine too, it was gone before we even got home.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

my second place egg remains untouched!! Does this mean it is now my third place egg?? Should I pass my egg to you Katfer, jmr - i take my egg is gone :lol:

who was first vet then?? I take it iceblue is too young for this category??
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 pm

You're right fiona, I'm only classified as a young runner for this race :lol:

Enjoyed the race today. Nice flat route along the canal path in perfect running conditions. Great goody bag as well. Many thanks to the organisers.
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat