London Calling

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

London Calling

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 am

The draw for the Campbeltown Running Club allocated place for the London Marathon was last night. We will be represented by Elaine McGeachy. I can't think of a more deserving person. Well done Elaine. 22 miler tomorrow morning to get rid of that sore heid........ :lol: :lol:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: London Calling

Postby elainemck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:04 am

OMG OMG, you could've scraped me off the ceiling last night! Super excited! Thanks Rab, I will try and do the club proud, no pressure!!! :wink:

ha ha, no way I was running today after all those mojitos but I'll be there tomorrow, maybe not a 22 miler though... yet!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 am

Elaine, fantastic news, you will be brilliant!! You have a great team behind you!! What a year you have ahead. Good luck from us XX
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Tom B » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 am

cool!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Nice touch from Rab as usual, and all the people on here and from what l heard Saturday night too,"Elaine"

Looks like a 16 week schedule starts on Boxing day or are you going for a 15 week one like some of us.

Now that the Saturday LSR's are far more well attended,you will have plenty of company when it come's to doing the big runs over the coming months ahead.Another thing about doing a spring marathon,it will jointly include your training for the Kintyre way relay come May after some rest.

Like Rab has already mention,"well deserved for your big imput to the running community over the years".
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks all. Still not sunk in yet.

DJD - Jennifer M gave me a 16 week RW schedule to follow and plan to jump in at week 14/15 at start of January. The first few weeks aren't dissimilar to what I'm doing at the moment. After xmas I'm going to up it to 5 days a week again as I was doing before the half in September. You are right, I don't think I'll be lost for company on the LSRs, really enjoyed our 12 miler yesterday, good support and banter as ever - fingers crossed for many more good weather weekends like that!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Well done Elaine on getting a place .......I know its been your next goal so good luck with the Winter training :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 am

I know you have been desperate to do this for a long time elaine - enjoy :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Good luck to all running in London this weekend, will be thinking of you when I'm running my wee 8.5miler :wink:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:38 am

I would like to add my best wishes too. Elaine, go out, run your own race, do'nt let anything stop you from enjoying the experience. The Club is proud to have you as its official rep. As I have said before, run how you "feel". Don't get "hung up" on a particular time.

All the best,

Rab

Kenny, Donald, Charlie, Lisa------you, too, have your personal goals. I wish you all the best and hope that you get what you wish for. DJD I hope that the foot doesn't hamper you too much.Your an auld soldier, though, and I'm sure you'll just batter your way through it.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby madscotsbloke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am

Yeah guys, have a brilliant weekend and enjoy the afters :D

By then you will have earned it

We are all very proud of your efforts, and thats before you have even started the Marathon proper

Better go, I've got a tear welling up in my eye :lol:

MSB
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jackiefulton » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 am

well good luck all you marathoners..

look forward to hearing how it all went :)
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks everyone for all your best wishes. I was hoping to be posting on here after the race elated after completing my first marathon but c'est la vie it wasn't to be.... this time!

But congratulations to Kenny, Charlie, Donald and Lisa who completed the race extremely well in hot and humid conditions and especially to the boys that did amazingly well to get PBs - WOW! I am in AWE! Brief race report (photos to come shortly) from chief spectator and CRC roadie for the weekend Stuart McGleachie :lol:

Oh I'm glad to be smiling (kind of) again. I do feel as if I've let people down especially myself I know everyone has been so kind about it but I can't help beating myself up a bit about it with 'what if's' as I've really put all my efforts into the training over the past 5 months. I'll get over it eventually but at the moment it bleeding hurts! However, it really was a scary scary experience that I never want to repeat but I'm glad to be here to tell the tale but I can't begin to tell you how gutted I am and disappointed for getting so close (just before the 23rd mile I think) before collapsing with heatstroke. I was loving every minute of it beforehand, doing a good steady pace just under 9 minute miles, waving and smiling at the awesome crowds and taking in the fantastic London scenery. It was very hot so I took on more water and lucozade than planned but probably still not enough on reflection then after 22 miles I have no memory.

I've never been ill or even fainted in my life so to be unconscious and then wake up not knowing where I was with an oxygen mask on, drip in my arm and medics all around was just a horrible experience. I'll not go into all the gory details but I never realised heatstroke was so severe or dangerous. I am so grateful St John's ambulance crew were on hand to deal with me immediately and managed to get my temperature lowered from 42 degrees back down to 39 in less than an hour.

Anyway, dramatics over I just wanted to post to let yous all know that I am feeling so much better after a few days rest and making a good recovery. I am now holding down fluids and eating again which is a good sign :-) I hope to be back to training soon so that the 'fear' doesn't get the better of me.

Thank you to everyone for the get well wishes, flowers and messages of support - you have all been amazing and I am proud to at least say that even though I never managed to get to the full 26.2 miles I still managed to realise one of my targets and raised over £1000 for Charity, many many thanks.
Last edited by elainemck on Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 am

:D You are back!
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Elaine

Thanks for giving us all an update on how you are , been thinking of you, just so glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and that's the main thing . Keep strong .

Gail
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat