I want to be a part of it NY! NY!

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: I want to be a part of it NY! NY!

Postby jackiefulton » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:55 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
Wey Hey!!!!

back in the UK and still on a high

thanks to all of you for your good wishes

it was just great - a FAB-U-LOUS experience - simply the best!

full race report to follow...

as for the record DJD.. modern technology is a bummer - with all the details it stores and worse circulates !

see you all Friday, x
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fiona28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 pm

well done jackie, it is just one of the best feelings in the world isn't it :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 am

Well, the promised race report!

What can I say :D It truly is the marathon to do and truly is the way to see New York!

An early start but arriving at the New York City library in Upper Manhatton at 5.15 am was where the atmosphere started as I joined the multi national queue, oops sorry line! of thousands and bus after bus left for the start at Staten Island. Arrived on Staten Island to a bright dawn sky, cold but glorious and 5 hours to go til my start time. Found a space in one of the marquees at my "colour" blue area, start was wave 3 at 10.40! - was warmly dressed, thanks 4th gen for your advice/guidance, with clothes to be deposited in the charity bank at the start line corrals - but hey had nothing to sit on - however was rescued by a 5th time newyorker marathoner from New Jersey who gave me his foil blanket from last year - and when his wave went left me a bin bag and a fleecy blanket - so was well sorted :D

I now know why all those who have gone before me totally enthuse - God Bless America and New York New York at the start of every wave really sets the scene and words cannot describe the atmosphere leaving Staten Island over the bridge and into the roaring crowds welcoming you to Brooklyn. Brooklyn, Queens, double bridge at Roosevelt Island and down hill onto Manhatton Island at mile 16, to crowds of spectators 10 deep all roaring encouragement - FAB-U-LOUS :D Then right up First Avenue and over to the Bronx, then back onto Manhatton Island over Maddison Avenue Bridge and into Harlem to another fine welcome, down and into Central Park and a bit of an uphill struggle from mile 23 - but the minute you looked weary - you got a personal cry about how wonderful you were - the New Yorkers and family and friends of the runners really do know how to be the best spectators....

The whole thing was simply the best - felt elated at the finish line (got quite a surprise at how tired I looked in the photos - on such a high - I didn't feel tired :D )

Stuart feel free to lift this / edit or whatever for CRC

I can't remember how to upload photos - so will email to DP - think I have sussed it - just found malky's posting - not totally sussed the sizing blew my mind!

Once again thanks to all you wee toon runners who encouraged me, wished me well and to all who supported my fundraising for Home-Start

jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fiona28 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 am

oh well done again jackie, looks fab!!! I can hear in your report how much you enjoyed it :D It is defo infectious, once you get one you just want more 8)
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tilly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:35 am

Well done Jackie u must feel so proud of urself, great achievement. Loved ur post.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Brilliant photos Jackie , well done again!! The atmosphere must have been electric . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat