Fiona takes to the streets of Dublin in aid of local chairty

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Fiona takes to the streets of Dublin in aid of local chairty

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Fiona Irwin, the energetic, enthusiastic, charismatic Jog Scotland Campbeltown leader is taking to the streets of Dublin a week today to run the Dublin marathon.

Fiona has been training hard for the last four months in preparation of the race which will be held in the Irish capital on Monday 25th October 2010 and is running of aid of the local MS Society - a group that has had all funding withdrawn and really needs public backing to keep this vital support group on the go for the many MS sufferers in South Kintyre.

If you would like to support Fiona's efforts and help the local MS Society you can make a donation at the Aqualibrium.

I am sure everyone on the Kintyre Forum wishes Fiona all the very best with her marathon run! 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Fiona takes to the streets of Dublin in aid of local chairty

Postby jmr3 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 am

Fiona, meant to say this the other day, but forgot. A great cause indeed and put me down for £10 - sensible times mind, nothing over 4hrs!!!
jmr3
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:06 pm

oh yeah jmr,i will follow you home :D Thanks v. much and thanks to the Forum for all the support and kind words.
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 am

On behalf of the Jog Scotland Leaders and members I would like to wish Fiona, Frances and Jocelyn all the best in the Dublin Marathon on Monday , we are with you all the way girls, enjoy every step and make it your own . We look forward to hearing your race reports when you get home. Enjoy your weekend in Dublin . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks Pans Lass, we will each make it our own. We set off for Glasgow airport in an hour or so - and I'm feeling a strong mixture of heady anticipation, anxiety and amazment that we are actually doing this. Those long learside runs already seem ages ago -it's as if my brain has forgotten I can run 21 miles. Fiona, count me in on your MS fundraising. We are back in the town on Tuesday - race report to follow.
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby elainemck » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Good luck guys in Dublin! You all have put in the hard slog of training for months, just go and enjoy! Mind and enjoy a good pint of well deserved Guinness afterwards too :lol:

All the best :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 am

Good luck tomorrow ladies, hope weather is ok for you.

Enjoy :D
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:17 am

I've been searching for the results to see how Fiona, Frances and jocilyn got on but it seems they are not posted yet :@
Anybody know anything?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 am

Sorry 4th gen I know the results but thought it be best for the girls to post themselves when they get home today , they ALL had fantastic times , and enjoyed every minute, said it was amazing !!

Cant wait to hear the full race report ! :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 am

4th Gen go to Sports News Ireland if you want thier results,you will be impressed.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 am

Yip, very impressed...well done everyone.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm

OMG OMG OMG the three musketeers are back, legs are aching in every possible place but the smiles will not be wiped from our faces for such a long time!!!

Proud to be now called Marathon Runners - we think our marathon must be the longest ever, we all clocked 26.7 or more on our garmins, can any of you wethered marathon campaigners comment on this, looking at my splits i think the extra was put in on the first mile which i felt on race day too but thought my garmin must have went wrong cos i tink i did my first 10k in less than an hour, the end time is the same and felt my finishing was really strong, almost 1/2 pace for last 2 miles and 10k pace for last .2 - anything to cross that line :D

For me so very very chuffed with my 3.56.50 8) 8) full race report will follow folks, away to rub my soso very sore legs.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

full race report now that stan has fed me n morgz has rubbed my weary legs.

Conditions were very crisp o.o degrees but almost perfect for running, ran with my gloves on the whole way :D Hotel was close enough to walk the 15 mins to the starting area. Got there in a good time to have the inevitable loo stop then get the craic off the other runners. Seemed to be very many first timers surrounding me so felt in good company. Crossed the starting line to massive cheers from the many people crowding the streets, first mile was really tight to get movin but happy to go with the flow and start off slow so not too panicked by this. Started to thin out a little by mile two through the city centre then at mile three brought to a standstill at the bottleneck to pheonix park but totally worth the glorious scenery around the park with the grass glistening white and the moon still in the grey sky but the place just felt so beautiful and peaceful it seemed a shame to blether on the way through it. Reminders of a few years ago when the wee toon runners did their first international trip to the Pheonix Park 10k 8) - no chocolate cakes running past us this time tho :lol:

Once we came out of the park we came upon what must have been Irelands friendliest neighbourhoods, it was as if each neighbourhood has been set a competition to see which could be the most supportive of the runners cos they were all out of this world. I had my name on the front of my wee toon runners top and have never felt more like I was at home with the local crowds cheering me on :lol: It felt like I was one of the elite runners that they were cheering home to a win, some were shouting keep going Fiona you look strong, others shouted relax the shoulders fiona you look a bit tight!!! It was just so unbelievable I still cant get over it - and on the last .2 stretch the guy with the loudspeaker shouted "come on crowds lets cheer Fiona home to the end", I could have cried as I sprinted that last stretch home,what amazing folk. Two people running beside me asked was I a local, I must be very popular as everyone was shouting on me!!! :lol: 8) I honestly thought I must have looked like a poor wee soul that looked like they needed some lovin either that or I had something nasty stuck to me, either way they fair spurred me on with the kids giving me high fives, the adults handing out oranges, melons, jelly babies, wine gums and all other types of gums too :D

Another thing they did with the crowds was make them into funnels to help you up the three or four small sharp inclines - so you were running up a cheering incline - helped me no bother i did much overtaking on these, all the hill training helped no end :D

In total this made my first marathon the most amazing experience, so enjoyable, on the pain side of it all, my hamstrings complained first then settled down then my quads started moaning about the load but stayed manageable!! Over the last unknown 4.2 miles as I passed soul after soul who were crawling along very obviously in much pain I felt for them all and went the fastest I could as I was very aware that at any minute that person who looked crippled could be me :? I was thankful that this time I was spared this total all encompassing pain and had a great run with no "wall" involved.

I would totally recommend this marathon to all and especially first timers,just can't believe it wasn't that hard!!

Biggest training tip from a Marathon Runner - put your name on the front of your top 8) :D

My two compadres who did exceptionally well will be on to post their race reports, although fja is away with work now until the weekend :D

So well chuffed to report Dublin Marathon, Distance 26.7 miles Time 3.56 YYYYEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tilly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Well done Fiona so proud of u hope ur wee legs are feeling a little easier now after all their attention from ur lovely daughter and ur tummy full thanks to Stan ensuring u r fed and watered. Met Jocelyn in the Co she was out getting t. Also another proud woman. Havent met Francis yet but i'm sure she's also grinning from ear to ear, quite rightly so. Glad u's r all home in one piece and feeling so elitaed and proud. 1 marathon down will there be more to follow? mmmm me thinks. :lol:
See u all soon.
Tilly :D
tilly
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 pm

So proud of you girls ......Great to read your race report fiona28 , sounds like you enjoyed every step of the way and the support of the Irish was second to none. You must be so proud to achieve your goal of a sub 4 hours marathon ,amazing time indeed . Heard Fja and Joc achieved their goals too , well done to you all. Now I know who to turn to for marathon advice .... :wink: :D :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat