MAUREEN BELL (KEITH) OLD POSTCARDS OF CAMPBELTOWN

Please post your photos of memories of Kintyre in here. If you wish to send any photos that we can post please forward these to admin@kintyreforum.com

Re: MAUREEN BELL (KEITH) OLD POSTCARDS OF CAMPBELTOWN

Postby carlen222 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 am

Glad you are enjoying looking at the postcards. There are no houses left in Lorne Street. Big Kiln is a mystery! No one seems to know its derivation! But expect it has something to do with a malt kiln, because of the number of distilleries around. I dont think the poor house has been air brushed out, i think it must just be the angle the photo was taken at, because the buildings are still there. It would be wonderful if you could find any postcards at Doune :D especially ones published by my grandfather, (Edward Keith). The 2 Drumlemble ones were his.

Thanks in anticipation, Maureen Bell
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gray_marian » Mon May 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Maureen,Thankyou for your reply.As soon as I can [abt four wks,foot in cast] I'll pop over to Antique Centre and have a good old rummage.I've already written down what I am searching for,and a few others besides.Marian.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carlen222 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Thankyou Marian, will pass this onto mum x
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gray_marian » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi Maureen/Cathy, My cast has to be kept on another three week's!! will go as soon as possible to look for your postcards Marian.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 am

Hi Maureen, My Daughter took me to Antique Centre to-day in wheelchair, only bumped my foot twice!! Alas no joy in finding your postcards, I'll keep you in mind and continue looking when I'm in other similar venues.Toodle Pip, Marian
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carlen222 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:15 am

gray_marian wrote:Hi Maureen, My Daughter took me to Antique Centre to-day in wheelchair, only bumped my foot twice!! Alas no joy in finding your postcards, I'll keep you in mind and continue looking when I'm in other similar venues.Toodle Pip, Marian

That's was so kind of you, my mum will really appreciate you trying, thanks for that and I will let her know x
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gray_marian » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Lesley/Maureen, Was at Abernyte Antique Centre Perthshire to-day.Found two postcards by E.Keith of C'town, first one already shown,C'town from North East. Second, listed as The Mull of Kintyre, If these are of interest to you send me your address on a pm and I'll pop them in the post.Toodle Pip, Marian
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carlen222 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Wow! That was very kind of you :-) just phoned mum, she's checked and has 3 views of mull Kintyre/mull lighthouse by her father but wishes to thank you very much for looking, lesley
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am

carlen222 wrote:My mum and I hope you all enjoy looking through them :) she has many many many more, and all the villages in Kintyre too. One day i'll maybe get around to scanning them and sharing them, lesley xx

Hi there..., I don't know if I should call you Maureen or Lesley ? In any case, what a wonderful collection of cards ! Congratulations and thanks for posting.

My father met my Mother in Campbeltown when he was in the navy..., and there’s every possibility that he's present somewhere in that photo. Also..., this is the first close-up image I've found of the Dalriada. My Grandfather was a carpenter on board that ship. It was blown up by a mine in the Thames Estuary at the end of WW2..., and I'm nearly sure he died later of his injuries.
Plus new images of Dalaruan Terrace and Askomil Walk ! Wow !

Amazing ! Thanks ! :wink:

PS I came on here today simply to see if there was a part of this site that catered for photos of people without names..., in order to try to identify them.
I received quite a lot of family photos recently that only my long-lost Grandmother could have identified ! And there must be thousands of people out there with similar photos, (like yours above) where faces are as clear as day but stay anonymous. With the result that they are more often than not discarded because they don’t interest us.
I was wondering if a post could be created by Admin to cater for this dilemma ? It’s only the elderly to very old that would be able to pin-point people from their youth..., perhaps even themselves !
Unfortunately..., there’s not much time left !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby CaliGal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Iain wrote:PS I came on here today simply to see if there was a part of this site that catered for photos of people without names..., in order to try to identify them.
I received quite a lot of family photos recently that only my long-lost Grandmother could have identified ! And there must be thousands of people out there with similar photos, (like yours above) where faces are as clear as day but stay anonymous. With the result that they are more often than not discarded because they don’t interest us.
I was wondering if a post could be created by Admin to cater for this dilemma ? It’s only the elderly to very old that would be able to pin-point people from their youth..., perhaps even themselves !
Unfortunately..., there’s not much time left !

What did you decide to do? I've posted some pictures on deadfred.com, and a few on my old genealogy.com tree homepage. But this website seems like an ideal place to post photos of unidentified people.
CaliGal
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

CaliGal wrote:
Iain wrote:What did you decide to do? I've posted some pictures on deadfred.com, and a few on my old genealogy.com tree homepage. But this website seems like an ideal place to post photos of unidentified people.

Hi there ! Totally agree with you ! Lol !
In the meantime:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... 776.0.html (see second page)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lindaf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Oh my! What wonderful postcards. Thank you so much for posting these, I know it was a time ago but you did say you have more!

I discovered my family came from Kintrye last year. So I came to Campbeltown this summer and spent the most amazing 10 days on Research and Discovery. I had excellent success. I came home with memories of such a spectacular environment that will stay with me for ever.

I did try to find traces of The Mill without success, So was thrilled to see those postcards.
I spent 2 nights in the Youth Hostel which had been the old school, in Lorne Street specifically as my family lived in the road in 1841. My later young relatives would have attended it. So the postcard of Lorne Street was a pleasure to see.

The main names I was following were Clark and McNaught[on]. I have written up all I discovered on the McNaught line who had been the tenant farmers at Gartvaigh Farm near Southend, going back it seems to as early as 1505, and no doubt even before then. If any one is interested in reading it, I am more than happy to send my PDF file to you.
I am still working on the final part of my Clark line, and the same applies when I have finished that.

Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Down Memory Lane - Kintyre