MAUREEN BELL (KEITH) OLD POSTCARDS OF CAMPBELTOWN

Please post your photos of memories of Kintyre in here. If you wish to send any photos that we can post please forward these to admin@kintyreforum.com

Re: MAUREEN BELL (KEITH) OLD POSTCARDS OF CAMPBELTOWN

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 am

Martin wrote:These are great, fascinating, I love stuff like this, but I have a question. Where was/is The Mill ?

I'm certain the Mill and burn in the pic was where the new Police Station is now. Was't it at Mill Rd??
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Martin wrote:These are great, fascinating, I love stuff like this, but I have a question. Where was/is The Mill ?

The Mill dam in the postcard is just as you come in the town across from Drumore House beside the Dellwood Hotel (Old Manse)

Here is photo taken from Down Memory Lane on the forum. You can see the pillars on the right of Drumore House entrance.

http://www.visitkintyre.info/dml/campbeltown/milldam/

The road behind is the west road and you would have been on it most days going back and forth to school
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Isa, I do believe I've got it worked out now.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Almost certain the picture which shows the large Mill Wheel and the children playing in the water was in Lady Mary row roughly where the back of the new police station is now.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Mzz pasico wrote:Almost certain the picture which shows the large Mill Wheel and the children playing in the water was in Lady Mary row roughly where the back of the new police station is now.

yeah thats where my mum told me the mill was too, shes not 100% sure the exact location but maybe someone on here can enlighten us?
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EMDEE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:18 pm

This is a wonderful collection of pictures. It shows how much some of the town has changed, and also how recognisable many of the streets still are, paticularly Main Street, which with the exception of the demolition of the Wide Close and the building of Longrow South remains architecturally relatively unchanged .

So far as the location of the Mill is concerned, having seen some of these mill photos before and in the past heard older generations talking about the place, it was located at the present junction of Mill Street and Lady Mary Row.and the Mill Lade came through what is now Millers Park. The burn which fed the Mill Dam ran along the fields near Hillside Road and is now culverted from a point near to the two blocks of flats on the North side of Hillside Road right down to the loch. I believe this culvert runs along the South side of Lady Mary Row beside the Tesco building and exits near the War Memorial.

These photos at the Mill would appear to have been taken at the present site of Lady Mary Row looking towards the direction of Mllers Park.

This link to an 1865 map of the town shows the Town Mill:

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/campbelton.html
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Last edited by carlen222 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 pm

BARROCHAN

carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:05 pm

MORE LONGROW

carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 pm

HIGH STREET

carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby carlen222 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 pm

KIRK STREET

carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby francii » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 am

I just love these, they really did make my day! Thanks for posting!
francii
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Beanie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 pm

:D These are lovely photos of the area, and a wonderfully nostalgic trip back in time. I could recognise all the places except the mill - and now I see that it was just along the road from me! Thanks so much for posting these.

If anyone has any old postcards of further along Askomil Walk I would really appreciate seeing them too. Thanks.
Beanie
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby gray_marian » Fri May 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Lesley and Maureen, thankyou for a wonderful journey and one that I can repeat.Do you know if Lorne St and The Big Kiln still exist? My GGGrandParents lived and died at no 92. Some of of their children were reared in the poorhouse which was an owl sanctury when I visited C'town in 2008, I noticed it had been airbrushed out the postcard of the Cottage Hospital!What did The Big Kiln produce? On my next trip to Doune Antique Centre Perthshire, I shall gladly rummage through the postcard section for your elusive request,fingers crossed. Marian.
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carlen222 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 am

gray_marian wrote:Hi Lesley and Maureen, thankyou for a wonderful journey and one that I can repeat.Do you know if Lorne St and The Big Kiln still exist? My GGGrandParents lived and died at no 92. Some of of their children were reared in the poorhouse which was an owl sanctury when I visited C'town in 2008, I noticed it had been airbrushed out the postcard of the Cottage Hospital!What did The Big Kiln produce? On my next trip to Doune Antique Centre Perthshire, I shall gladly rummage through the postcard section for your elusive request,fingers crossed. Marian.

oh marian, ill need to pass this message onto mum, she will be delighted to hear that you would be willing to have a rumage for her :D shes away for a few days, but on her return i will show her your post and hopefully she will be able to answer your questions xx
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to Down Memory Lane - Kintyre