Segregation in the Old Grammar!

Please post your photos of memories of Kintyre in here. If you wish to send any photos that we can post please forward these to admin@kintyreforum.com

Segregation in the Old Grammar!

Postby chuckiebay » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 pm

The picture of the old Grammar School beside McGroyy's shop made me remember how segregated the boys and girls were in that school. The boys entrance was next to the shop and the girls entered by a door in the wall much further up the street. The playgrounds were well apart and boys and girls entered the school by different doors. Inside were two separate stairs and so the journeys and times from class to class were different for each sex. The Common Rooms for fourth to sixth years were also male/female.

This was the way in the fifties. Would it work or help now?
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Segregation in the Old Grammar!

Postby SARID » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Chuckie seems tae be the only wan who has mind o' the segregation in the Old Grammar. A've no mind o' the segregation masel, so it seems Ah wisa that bothered at the time. Maybe it's jeest that Chuckie wis wild an keen on the opposite sex ,an the segregation pit a wee blight on the time spent in the "Grammar "
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 pm

When I was a pupil in the 'old Grammar' (from '61 to '67) there were separate girls' and boys' entrances and stairs. In the 'lower-ability' streams, boys could not do what was then called Domestic Science and girls could not do Technical.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby MPR » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:16 am

Yes I was there at the same time, think its great how things have changed.Wish it had always ben that way. The things I could have done!!!!
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Also there at the start of the sixties,and my recollection is that irrespective of whether you were in the higher or lower stream of education boys did not do domestic science,and girls did not do technical.As for using different stairs neither Catherine nor myself has any recollection of this.

PS..why is this thread in the photo section ? :@
Last edited by bill on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

It should not be ther !
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:37 pm

WC1 wrote:When I was a pupil in the 'old Grammar' (from '61 to '67) there were separate girls' and boys' entrances and stairs. In the 'lower-ability' streams, boys could not do what was then called Domestic Science and girls could not do Technical.

bill wrote:Also there at the start of the sixties,and my recollection is that irrespective of whether you were in the higher or lower stream of education boys did not do domestic science,and girls did not do technical.As for using different stairs neither Catherine nor myself has any recollection of this.

I was there from 66-69, and remember the segregation on the stairs. In fact I remember WC1 as a prefect supervising us on the stairs and keeping us younger ones in order. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Down Memory Lane - Kintyre