kintyre Handyman

The concept of this forum is to help promote local businesses in Kintyre for FREE. This development is currently in BETA stage so please bear with us while it is developed!

kintyre Handyman

Postby handyman2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 am

Handyman for hire in the kintyre area.

All odd jobs, renovations, repairs, modifications etc etc.

everything from fitted kitchens to dripping taps. indoors, and outdoors, no job too big or small.

very good rates and a perfect job every time.

Call james on 07917430935 or pm me to discuss your requirements
handyman2
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: kintyre Handyman

Postby loggerstu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Hey! I have a problem with waterpipes in house. Came home one day and had water comming into the sitting room!!!! Will PM u my details! :D Cheers
loggerstu
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Isa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 pm

handyman2 wrote:Handyman for hire in the kintyre area.

everything from fitted kitchens to dripping taps. indoors, and outdoors, no job too big or small.

James, there are a number of conditions that would have to be met before I took on a "handyman" so just a few questions. What guarantee’s can you offer on your work and what all is covered in your guarantee? Would it include quality of your workmanship and the subcontractors engaged by the you? Do you have public liability and if I was getting renovations and modifications done would you be able to show that you are a certified tradesman. Could you also clarify if you are a member of the builders federation?

Lots of questions but ones that would need to be answered before I would consider a "handyman"

Thanks
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jaffacat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:36 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
jaffacat
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby handyman2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:00 am

Hello Isa, thankyou for your interest. :D

ok, the best guarantte i can offer is the recopmendation of previous customers, surely a very happy customer is better than any piece of paper? if i am not confident that i can complete a job to a perfect standard then i will not start it. simples.
I am not a member of any federations, and as for sub contractors thats not really what i am here for, if someone wants an extension, a house, etcetc, thats what mckinven & colvile, mcgougans etcetc are there for.

The best way to describe what i am aiming for is trying to bridge the gap between changeing a bulb (or whatever) to hireing a tradesman for a day or two.

feel free to phone me for a chat or arrange a no obligation meeting.

Thanks, James.
handyman2
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Isa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 am

handyman2 wrote:Handyman for hire in the kintyre area.

James thank you for getting back on this and not wanting to sound cofrontational but you did say you would do renovations, modifications, fitted kitchens and no job too big or small. I would insist on a tradesman with public liability for any of these jobs.

I'll pass on this but thanks for replying to my post.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby loggerstu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Seen many "tradesmen" who have got certs for this and that. . . . I like the honesty here were you say you wont start a job unless you are sure you can finish. How many times have people been let down by dishonest?? I have seen your work and not many people in the trade can join kitchen worktops the way you can!!! All the best James good luck! 8)
loggerstu
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ninja Mania » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I would suggest you get public liability of £2 million, not just for the customers safety, but your's too James. It can be cheap, I obtained mine for under a £100 p/a. Its just not worth the risk nowadays not to have it. Good luck to to you though.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Totally agree with Nija.
Insurance is an absolute must, to protect yourself if nothing else.
Hopefully your venture will take off for you, it is my plan for when I reach semi-retirement.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby handyman2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 pm

yes, looking into it, it aint that expensive, just gotta justify it.
thanks for the advice. :D
handyman2
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EileenH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 am

By law you must have it. I used to be a registered childminder working from my own home. It was a requirement by law to be insured. My husband is self employed and must have it.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby handyman2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am

ok, insurance is sorted, as cheap as it is its probably not worth not haveing it these days.
thanks for the advice guys. :)
handyman2
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jaffacat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

EileenH wrote:By law you must have it. I used to be a registered childminder working from my own home. It was a requirement by law to be insured. My husband is self employed and must have it.

Not true - it`s not against the law to not have it! It is completely voluntary. It is however complete peace of mind for the sake of, in my case, £68 a year for £5million cover!
jaffacat
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EileenH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Well I can assure you that the council told me I had to have it. I got information from the government some time ago stating that we must have public liability insurance. Our certificate must be shown on the premises at all times and all previous certificates must be filed to prove we have always had it. I think you will find that it's the building/ contents insurance that's optional. Then if something happens it's only your loss.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Dunc R » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Yes you do need PLI if you are a child minder
Why do I need public liability insurance?
Public liability insurance covers you for anything that may happen to the children in your care for which you can be held legally liable. It could be something as simple as a child being scalded by a hot drink left within reach, or it could be a baby wriggling and falling off a changing table, or a toddler choking on something they should not have had access to. If you are considered to be negligent at the time the accident happened, you could find yourself having to pay damages for any injuries sustained.

Do I need public liability insurance?

Although not compulsory public liability insurance is generally required because it provides your business with cover against legal claims.

If you are a small business or self employed sole trader, a company director or an employee then you could all potentially be blamed for injury to a third party ie, a member of the public, or damage to property.
Dunc R
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Businesses in Kintyre