Family research - Dugald Mathieson

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Family research - Dugald Mathieson

Postby fhmm160 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I am researching my family history and have come across a Dugald Mathieson who on his death certificate was pronounced drowned at sea on 17 / 18 May 1869 5 miles off shore. Two other names are listed in the same way, namely John Kennedy and Murdoch Campbell. Dugald was a fisherman and I am looking for any details anyone may have on what I presume was a fishing boat lost at sea. Thanks
fhmm160
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Family research - Dugald Mathieson

Postby condorjourneys » Sun May 09, 2010 4:23 am

Hi

I am researching the McMath/Mathieson/Mathison/Matheson family in Kintyre, mainly Campbeltown and Killean area and have several Dugald's in the family tree. I would welcome more information about the Dugald Mathieson who drowned off shore.

Many thanks beforehand

Danielle Clark
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

McMath/ Mathieson/Mitchell/McLean.

Postby wpeteach » Sat May 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi,
I am researching the McMath/Mathieson/Matheson families as well.
I am a great great granddaughter of Duncan McMath/Mathieson/Matheson/Mathison who married a Janet Mitchell in 1847.
Their marriage was registered in Campbeltown and Saddell. I know nothing of Janet's family, but am very interested in tracing the Mitchells. Duncan and Janet came to Canada shortly after they married. Their children were Robert, Malcolm, Neill, Mary(my great grandmother) and Margaret.
Duncan is the son of Malcolm McMath/Mathieson and Rose McLean. I believe Malcolm's father was Archibald and his mother a McPhail/McFail.
Any bit of information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Betty
Alberta, Canada :D
wpeteach
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby CaliGal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Was that Dugald Mathieson married?
My great great grandfather's second wife, Mary Mathieson, was the daughter of Mary McLellan and Dugald Mathieson of Campbeltown. Her father was a fisherman and died sometime between 1863 and 1879.
CaliGal
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: McMath/ Mathieson/Mitchell/McLean.

Postby Iain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 pm

wpeteach wrote:Hi,
I am researching the McMath/Mathieson/Matheson families as well.
Betty
Alberta, Canada :D

Hi Betty !
Found this but you probably have much of it already:

Janet Mitchell..., from Brackley:
Duncan McMath from Southend..., b1829:

Marriage on the 18th of May 1847:
In 1881 they are in Wellington North, Ontario, Canada.
Children.
Malcolm Mathewson/McMath/Mathison
Robert Mathewson/McMath/Mathison
Mary Mathewson/McMath/Mathison 1851 – 1884
................. Mary married David Kells 1844-1919 and both had a dau Janet Mitchell Kells 1881-1971.
................. Janet Kells married Duncan A. Haddow 1884-1952 and they had a dau Janet M. Haddow 1920-2006.
Margaret Matheson 1858-1918
................ Margaret, born 1st September 1858 in Ontario and died on the 4th of August 1918 in York, Ontario. Married in Wellington on the 28th of March 1888. Children; Margaret McCallum 1893 and Duncan McCallum 1895 :

As for Duncan’s father, I didn’t see an Archibald but more of a Malcolm b1800. (more in line with the grandchildren naming system) Mother, Rose McLean who died in Glasgow..., no dates.

Have a nice evening..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby wpeteach » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks Iain. That is my direct line that you found. Janet Mitchell Kells is my grandmother.
She married Duncan Alexander Haddow and they also had a son, Malcolm, and my mother Janet Margaret.
wpeteach
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby condorjourneys » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 am

For sure you Duncan McMath who married Janet Mitchell (marriage is also registered in Southend and his father is there reported as Malcom McMath!) is the one reported age 15 in Southend at the 1841 census
Place: Southend -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 4
Civil Parish: Southend Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
Address: Machrimore
MCMATH Malcolm M 50 Farmer Unknown
MCMATH Mary F 40 Unknown
MCMATH Duncan M 15 Unknown
MCMATH Margaret F 14 Unknown
MCMATH Catherine F 3 Unknown
MCMATH Jean F 1 Unknown
MCMATH Ann F 3m Unknown
CAMPBELL David M 20 Ag Lab Unknown
BELL Angus M 20 Ag Lab Unknown
PATERSON Ann F 20 Female Servant Unknown
THOMSON Robert M 12 Ag Lab Unknown
MCMATH Mary F 55 Unknown

Malcolm McMath married Mary Stewart 07 Feb 1837 in Southend (daughter of Andrew Stewart and Catherine McWilliams born 19 Nov 1798 in Capmpbeltown). Daughters Jean, Catherine and Ann are indeed registered in Southend. This means son Duncan must be from an earlier marriage of Malcom McMath.

The only birth record in Kintyre which does match you Dunan is 16 November 1825 Campbeltown parents Malcom McMath and Mary McLean.

There is however no marriage record anywhere for a Malcom McMath and Mary McLean. It is only the only birth record with as mother Mary McLean and I suspect her name was not Mary but Margaret. It would not be the first birth record where Margaret has been changed into Mary in Campbeltown!

Malcom McMath farmer in Bulloch married Margaret Mclean, daughter of Duncan McLean farmer Calluburn on 4 July 1820. Birth records for children with name of mother Margaret McLean are as follows:
1821 Neill
1823 Mary
1827 Margaret
1830 John
1832 Dugald
1833 Catherine

I suspect this is indeed the family and that Margaret McLean died somewhere between 1833 and 1837 upon which Malcolm McMath remarried. Thre is a gap of 4 years between the birth of Mary and Margaret in which Duncan, who would have been named after Margaret McLean's father Duncan, would perfectly fit in!
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby condorjourneys » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm

The entry in Southend for the marriage of Duncan McMath and Janet Mitchell reads:
Duncan McMath son of Malcom McMath farmer Machrimore and Janet Mitchell of Carradale Parish were married 18th current.
This confirms it is the right family at the time of the 1841 census.
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby condorjourneys » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

The prove that Malcolm McMath who married Margaret McLean and the one who married Mary Stewart are indeed the same comes out of the lease of Machrimore to Malcolm McMath in 1834 where he is described as tenant in Balloch. This lease also proves he is one of the Glenahanty McMath's as the cautioner is Neil McMath tenant in Glenahanty.

Malcolm McMath died indeed in 1856 in Campbeltown as the 19 year lease ended in 1853 and was then given to a William Hunter.
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy