Descendants of David and Margaret Watson

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Descendants of David and Margaret Watson

Postby KiwiGirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 am

Hi everyone
We recently found out that my grandfather had a half-brother with whom he lost contact with in childhood.

The half brother was David Watson, born 1925 in London, son of Robert Watson and Margaret Isobel Smith. David was sent to live with his Grandparents in Campbeltown after his mother died in 1929, which was the last my Grandfather heard from him.

We have discovered that he married a Margaret McLachlan Black and they had a son - AB Watson and a daughter Mary Watson.

I am hoping that someone will know of either of these two people and be able to put us in touch.

Thank you
KiwiGirl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Descendants of David and Margaret Watson

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:57 am

KiwiGirl wrote:Hi everyone

We have discovered that he married a Margaret McLachlan Black and they had a son - AB Watson and a daughter Mary Watson.
Thank you

I may be on the wrong track "KiwiGirl", but there was Watsons that lived on Hillside Road, Campbeltown when I lived there whom had a son and daughter called Ronald (Ranald) and Mary whom would be in their fifties now?? I may be wrong, but someone may correct me.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am

Kiwi girl I'm sure there are Watson's who read this forum and if Margaret and David have still got family here in the town someone might be able to help.

If David was born in 1925 that would mean he may have been eligible in his late teens to be called up during WW2? He would now be in his mid eighties. Do you know who his Grandparents were here in the town?

The Watson's that I think JD is referring to are Elizabeth, Mary and Ranald and their mother and father are called Ranald and Ellen/Helen Watson. I never heard them referred to as David and Margaret. May be some relation though.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby KiwiGirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Thank you for your replies.

What I should also have mentioned is that David died in 1989. At the time, David and Margaret's address was "Eldemar", Knockscalbert Way, Campbeltown.

Maybe that will jog someone's memory.

Thanks
KiwiGirl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby History » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:13 pm

KiwiGirl wrote:Maybe that will jog someone's memory.

Certainly jogged mine.

The address you mention is still the home of his wife and daughter. I will PM you with the postcode.

Good luck with your quest

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:54 am

History wrote:The Watson's that I think JD is referring to are Elizabeth, Mary and Ranald and their mother and father are called Ranald and Ellen/Helen Watson. I never heard them referred to as David and Margaret. May be some relation though.

History

I thought I may have be on the wrong track History. Good to see some progress :) .

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Hopefully on the right track myself?

A bit off topic JD, but all the cars passing down from the Dale this morning seem to be covered in snow. I take it you have inclement weather up there this AM?

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:18 pm

History wrote:
A bit off topic JD, but all the cars passing down from the Dale this morning seem to be covered in snow. I take it you have inclement weather up there this AM?
History

A bit of a flurry around 9.00am this morning and lying but now gone. I believe the Saddell area got more of a coating, the road was bit slushy in places on the higher ground.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Catherine, As per our PM messages I have passed on your details on so hopefully May or Sandy will be in touch.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby KiwiGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi everyone
Thank you for all your quick help. It's amazing!! I have got as far as I can for now and hopefully with the help of the family in Campbeltown will be able to fill in a few more gaps in our family history.
You must be a wonderful community and I would love to visit one day - I am pretty sure you will see someone from our family there in the next year or so.
KiwiGirl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Mturnart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 pm

KiwiGirl wrote:Hi everyone
We recently found out that my grandfather had a half-brother with whom he lost contact with in childhood.

The half brother was David Watson, born 1925 in London, son of Robert Watson and Margaret Isobel Smith. David was sent to live with his Grandparents in Campbeltown after his mother died in 1929, which was the last my Grandfather heard from him.

I am hoping that someone will know of either of these two people and be able to put us in touch.

Thank you

I am not sure that this is relevant to you but my mother's cousin was AB Watson. He was Alasdair Bannatyne Watson and he married a Mary Smith. His father was James Watson married to a Euphemia Downie. They lived in the Glasgow area having moved from Argyll when my gret grandfather died. The co-incidence of AB Watson who was a Chemist for BHC is too much.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Kintyre Genealogy