McDougall's of Campbeltown/Kintyre Area

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McDougall's of Campbeltown/Kintyre Area

Postby emily6380 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 am

Hello All,

I am trying to find out we (my close family) still have family in the Campbeltown/Kintyre Area. My mother has done extensive work trying to find out our lineage and on the McDougall side this is what she has come up with.....Maybe to someone it will look somewhat familiar. Most of my close family resides in the Chicago, Illinois USA area...but my Great-Grandfather John McDougall Smith was born in 1886 in Campbeltown, Scotland, and left Campbeltown to go to Nova Scotia, Canada around 1902, he would have been around 16 years old.

My Great-Grandfather's father's name was Archibald Smith and was born in 1857, his death is unknown at this point. Archibald was a Blacksmith by trade..My Great-Grandfather was also a Blacksmith even after he moved to the United States.
Archibald's wife's name was Jane McDougall, b.1857 d. 1903
-Jane's Parents:
1. Father of Jane: John McDougall b. 1818 d. 1896
-John's Parents:
1. Dougald (Spelling?) McDougall b.1789
-Father of Dougald: John McDougall b. 1760 d. 1856
--Father: John McDougall b. 1712 d. 1776
--Mother: Mary McNiven: birth and death unknown presently
-Mother of Dougald: Isabel Watson
2. Catherine Curie: birth and death unknown presently
2. Mother of Jane: Christine McNiven birth and death unknown as of right now
-Parents of Christine McNiven are unknown.

I am really hoping that the information above will sound familiar to someone out there.
emily6380
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McDougall's of Campbeltown/Kintyre Area

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Looks very familiar, Emily

Getting one of my family members who is on top of this to look at it and get back in touch.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Looks like lots of common ancestors, Emily. Sent you a private message. :)
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 am

For the curious among you, the Jane / Jean MacDougall mentioned is my mother's great aunt, on her mother's side. So this means that Emily has more relations in Kintyre than you can shake a stick at! Well, running well into the hundreds, for sure.

Our family records had shown - wrongly it transpires - that Jean and Archie had no children. Seems there are lots of descendants in the US and Canada, so this is quite an interesting discovery.

Well done to the Kintyre Forum for providing a vehicle for these connections to be established.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby emily6380 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 pm

This whole discovery has made my year...and it's only JANUARY!

When I heard that the Scottish bunch (Mary, her Sister and family) were not aware that Jean and Archie had any children....I think I was shouting at the computer...YES WE EXIST,WE'RE HERE IN THE STATES! My great-grandfather was the 1st to leave Campbeltown to come to the U.S...then his siblings followed, but they all went to Canada. My granny still keeps in contact to the only cousin who is not deceased, who liveS in Detroit, MI. But John McDougall Smith (My great-grandfather) had a semi-big family! He only had 2 girls (twins), but both of his girls had pretty large families!

This discovery...I really do not think could have happened without the Kintyre Forum. My mother has done research for the last 10+ years, but we still had some gaps...and the gaps have been most cleared because of this discovery!

I am beyond elated right now!!!
emily6380
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 pm

emily6380 wrote:This whole discovery has made my year...and it's only JANUARY!

When I heard that the Scottish bunch (Mary, her Sister and family) were not aware that Jean and Archie had any children....I think I was shouting at the computer...YES WE EXIST,WE'RE HERE IN THE STATES! My great-grandfather was the 1st to leave Campbeltown to come to the U.S...then his siblings followed, but they all went to Canada. My granny still keeps in contact to the only cousin who is not deceased, who liveS in Detroit, MI. But John McDougall Smith (My great-grandfather) had a semi-big family! He only had 2 girls (twins), but both of his girls had pretty large families!

This discovery...I really do not think could have happened without the Kintyre Forum. My mother has done research for the last 10+ years, but we still had some gaps...and the gaps have been most cleared because of this discovery!

I am beyond elated right now!!!

What wonderful news to read Emily and delighted that the Kintyre Forum has played a part in your findings. Its news like this that keeps us all going here at the Kintyre Forum. Great news and it is only January! :mrgreen:
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Kintyre Genealogy