Carradale Macdougalls

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Carradale Macdougalls

Postby chuckiebay » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Matthew Mcdougall fisherman and boatbuilder married Mary McKinlay of Whitestone. From 1868 until the mid nineties they had 14 children. These children have descendants all over the world and it would be very interesting to find out where they are and which member of that large family they are descended from.

Please register and post.
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Carradale Macdougalls

Postby SARID » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I am really surprised there has been no response from any of Mathew Macdougall descendents,when there are so many of them scattered worldwide. I thought quite a number would be logging on to "Kintyre Forum ",and happy to admit their connection
I know some live in New Zealand as well as Australia, South Africa, America, Canada, throughout UK and Europe,and of course, there are still quite a few living in Carradale.
Mathew Macdougall was my great grandfather,so come on Folks, get posting,and tell us where you are
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tosh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 pm

My great grandmother Was Flora McDougall born in 1872 but I'm not sure if these are the same McDougalls. Les may know as she would have been his Great grandmother too.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby chuckiebay » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:48 am

I hitched a lift with Santa and he dropped me off in Colorado where I visited Matthew and Mary's great great great grandchildren in Montrose west of the Rockies and great great grand daughter in Aurora. They are descendants of Kate who was one of the first set of twins.
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SARID » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Sorry, Tosh,I've just checked the familt tree,and Mathew Macdougall didn't have a daughter called Flora. Mathew had brothers,so perhaps you are descended from one of them.
Well, Chuckie, you don't half get around! Colorado of all places. I hope you'll no be tempted to have a go at the Ski-ing,now that you're high up in the Rockies. Sometimes altitude can make you be less responsible for your actions than you would be,down at sea level
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tosh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 pm

SARID wrote:Sorry, Tosh,I've just checked the familt tree,and Mathew Macdougall didn't have a daughter called Flora. Mathew had brothers,so perhaps you are descended from one of them.
Well, Chuckie, you don't half get around! Colorado of all places. I hope you'll no be tempted to have a go at the Ski-ing,now that you're high up in the Rockies. Sometimes altitude can make you be less responsible for your actions than you would be,down at sea level

Just looked at some unconfirmed research, was Mathew's father called Daniel and mother either Mary or Margaret?
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SARID » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Sorry ,Tosh,still no connection. Mathew's parents were Duncan and Agnes.
Why don't you try the census of 1841 and 1861 where you will find all families in the district listed? I'll have a look through the information I have to see if I can come up with Mathew's father Duncan' brothers
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:40 am

Tosh wrote:My great grandmother Was Flora McDougall born in 1872 but I'm not sure if these are the same McDougalls. Les may know as she would have been his Great grandmother too.

Andy

I always assumed our GG was a Carradale McDougall but recently discovered she was from Campbeltown! After the initial shock had worn off I quite liked having the idea of having some Toonie blood in me.

Not too much, mind ........

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Tosh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:48 pm

LO wrote:
Tosh wrote:My great grandmother Was Flora McDougall born in 1872 but I'm not sure if these are the same McDougalls. Les may know as she would have been his Great grandmother too.

Andy

I always assumed our GG was a Carradale McDougall but recently discovered she was from Campbeltown! After the initial shock had worn off I quite liked having the idea of having some Toonie blood in me.

Not too much, mind ........

Les

I did have a possibility that she was the daughter of Dugald McDougall and Jeane Forrester but I didn't have anything confirmed.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SARID » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I have had another look at the family tree, Tosh, but I have no record of Duncan Macdougall's ( Mathew's Father ) siblings. Duncan's Father was another Mathew,and his parents were Francis Macdougall, and Mary Macmullan (? Macmillan ) and they lived at Clonaig in the latter part of the 18th century.
I am disappointed there has been little response from Macdougall descendents, as there are so many of them scattered all over the world.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SARID » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Just been re-reading the posts, and for a minute thought the GG mentioned was Govan Girl. Then I realised GG referred to Great Granny !!
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tosh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 pm

I blame the fumes from the brandy butter :)
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SARID » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:35 pm

You cood well be rite, Tosh, wae regards tae the brandy butter,an it's naw even Christmas! Ah cood be in a wild state come the New Year----- it dusna bear thinkin aboot
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby emily6380 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Recently I have been on a mission to find family who originates from Campbeltown. I am not quite sure if MacDougall is the same as McDougall....with that said I apologize if I sound ignorant. If someone can please let me know if this spelling would be the same association or different..I would very appreciative!
emily6380
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:37 pm

"Mac Dougall".or" Macdougall" are both correct spellings of the name, depending, of course which family you belong to. I have always been told that the Carradale family spelt their name "Macdougall "
LO and Tosh seem to be descended from the Campbeltown Macdougalls, so perhaps you are related to them, Emily 6380.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Kintyre Genealogy