Carradale Macdougalls

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: Carradale Macdougalls

Postby Tosh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Spellings weren't quite as definite then and often people would write the same name spelled different ways at different times.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:11 pm

You are quite right ,Tosh, with regard to the spelling of all the "Mac " names. You have only to look at a Scottish issue of the telephone directory, to see all" Mac or Mc" names listed under the one spelling.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SARID » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Apart from variations in the spelling of "Mac " there can also be variations in the spelling of surnames. My great-great-great-great Grandmother's surname is recorded as "McMullan " and I think that she was more likely to be "Mary McMillan " ----but we'll never know for sure.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby emily6380 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Sarid, thank you for the response! I thought that both spellings may be the same in some way shape or form. When my mother emails me to give me more information I will ask if McDougall had any spelling variations when she researched our geneaology. I came into this forum by way of a very nice gentleman who is from Campbeltown, and I am trying to find out if I still have family in that area, because I am planning a visit for the summer to visit Campbeltown.

My Great-Grandfather, John McDougall Smith (my Grandmother's father) was from Campbeltown, but left when he was a teenager for Nova Scotia, and eventually made his way to the United States, more specifically the Chicago, Illinois area. His father was a Smith, and his occupation was Blacksmith. His mother was a McDougall, which my Great-Grandfather kept McDougall as a middle name for his twin daughters (My Grandmother and her twin sister). I also know that at least one of his sisters moved to Nova Scotia as well, either before or after, my Great-Grandfather left for Nova Scotia...and she took up residence in Nova Scotia, had a family and also passed away in Nova Scotia. He also enlisted in the United States Military and participated in WWI.

Also, my Grandmother's cousin had visited Campbeltown some years ago and happened to stumble upon a Bed & Breakfast in which she found the owner (I believe) was a relation to our family. This owner knew that my Great-Grandfather had twin girls because he continued to correspond with several people until he passed in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

I would love to hear from anyone that see's this and possibly looks familiar?!?!
emily6380
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Am I also correct in saying over the years spelling could change if you were the son of a Mc? So for example the son of a McMillan became a MacMillan? (I'm sure someone told me that before but then again I believe anything!)

Emily, welcome to the Kintyre Forum. Hopefully you will find some information you are looking for. You may be better specifically posting your information on a specific thread searching for information on the Smith side too. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby emily6380 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you! I did just that! I sincerely appreciate it!
emily6380
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Tosh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:Am I also correct in saying over the years spelling could change if you were the son of a Mc? So for example the son of a McMillan became a MacMillan? (I'm sure someone told me that before but then again I believe anything!)

Emily, welcome to the Kintyre Forum. Hopefully you will find some information you are looking for. You may be better specifically posting your information on a specific thread searching for information on the Smith side too. 8)

Well Mac or Mc both mean 'son of' and were pretty interchangeable, and literacy levels had a huge effect on variations of spelling, often a son would spell his surname differently to his father.
A good example from a personal perspective for me would be Charles Rennie Mackintosh whose father was William McIntosh, I'm not sure when Charles adopted the different spelling, or why.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Snoddy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 am

Tosh Said: 'Well Mac or Mc both mean 'son of' and were pretty interchangeable, and literacy levels had a huge effect on variations of spelling, often a son would spell his surname differently to his father.
A good example from a personal perspective for me would be Charles Rennie Mackintosh whose father was William McIntosh, I'm not sure when Charles adopted the different spelling, or why.'

Snoddy says: ' In my professional opinion the differentials between Mac and Mc within families has as much to do with the literacy or accuracy of the Registrar of Births at the time as the family themselves. A nightmare back in the surgery where family files are concerned. You never knew who you were insulting!'
Dr Snod Esq.

Two spoonfulls of Halibut-Liver Oil, Morning & Evening. You know the surgery hours, so don't bother me at any other time. I most certainly don't get paid enough.

Any resemblance to Snoddy's past and present are purely coincidental!
Snoddy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gizmo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm

I am quite sure spelling variations are due to mistakes etc by registrars and census takers. It should also be remembered that a lot of people could not read and write in the 1800s. Some of my ancestors, originally Broadley were often noted as Bradley or later Brodie (probably because of the Irish accent) but if they couldnt read they could not correct the official. There was a large influx of people from Ireland and Anglisising the names possibly made employment easier to find as well.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SARID » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Disappointing there has been so little response from Mathew and Mary Macdougall's descendents. I know there are very many of them scattered all over the globe, and I'm sure quite a few are familiar with the Forum. Maybe they know something I don't, and are reluctant to reveal themselves
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby carreran » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 pm

My grandfather Matthew Mac Dougall's (born 1909) grandfather was the aforementioned Matthew MacDougall of Whitestone.
carreran
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy